United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 05-08-2023, 08:02 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's astounding the level of coverage our pre season friendlies are getting compared with other clubs. Absolutely incredible.

ESPN FC's twitter account just seems to be 90% and 10% everyone else. It's mental.
A Scouse mate of mine who "isn't arsed" about United had messaged me clips of the first goal and Mount's miss almost as soon as it happened. "Both absolutely SHIT!!".

But yeah, the Arsenal game meant nothing but anything adverse, even the Wrexham game, is a huge pointer as to how our season will go

Unread 05-08-2023, 08:03 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
even the Wrexham game, is a huge pointer as to how our season will go
Did you send that or him ?

Unread 05-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Piers Morgan was gleefully watching us earlier (while it was 1-0 anyway). Amazed all these non-United fans have MUTV.

I’ve seen a couple of results of some other teams. I haven’t seen a single second of anyone else’s preseason friendlies live. I’ve barely seen any of ours. Very odd.
It's genuinely odd. He's been obsessed with United for years, remember the anti United crap that used to get printed in the Mirror under his editorial?

I couldn't tell you any results of Arsenal's in pre season apart from when they played us, let alone waste time actually £#%&!ing watching it.

Its like when i see the official club account announce Hojlund and underneath is chelsea and arsenal fans replying to it. Why on earth are you following Manchester United's main account for you absolute weirdos

Martin Samuel had it so right when he said if you fill your website with just manchester united stuff you'll always make money because that's all anyone wants to read about

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:07 PM
dunk

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Cool

Wasn't even his fault.....

But that's the mentality we have been missing.....

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:15 PM
Dr Stranger

Garnacho highlights. Excellent today and worked his arse off too.

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:16 PM
armchair

We need Amrabat though. We need to out-fight certain teams.

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:17 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We need Amrabat though. We need to out-fight certain teams.
100%

There’ll be games where we won’t play as well as we did in the second half and we’ll need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Garnacho does it but he’s still so young and there’s only so much he can do from the wing/up top.

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Amrabat is a defensive midfielder with about 4 goals in his entire career, he may have fight but he won't be turning any game around on his own....

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:46 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Amrabat is a defensive midfielder with about 4 goals in his entire career, he may have fight but he won't be turning any game around on his own....
his penetrative running and passing ability are a notch above mcfred, too. he won't be coming as goalscorer.

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:54 PM
dinger

Quote:
Amrabat is a beast that won’t allow his team to get pumped 7-0

Unread 05-08-2023, 10:58 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
how would we set up with him in the team though?

Unread 05-08-2023, 11:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I just hear more and more that he is the final piece etc, can't wait for him to sign etc....

He breaks up play and moves the ball on....

A lot of people imo are expecting a hell of a lot more....

A younger Erikson...

Unread 05-08-2023, 11:20 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
if we play the way 10h has been setting us up, then in a two with cass (behind some combination of rashford, bruno, hojlund and garnacho or some of the squad players).

but nicer with cass and mainoo.

Quote:
I just hear more and more that he is the final piece etc, can't wait for him to sign etc....

He breaks up play and moves the ball on....

A lot of people imo are expecting a hell of a lot more....

A younger Erikson...
meanwhile, people are getting excited about mason £#%&!ing mount.

Unread 05-08-2023, 11:22 PM
armchair

Quote:
onana
back four
Him and casemiro
fernandes
front three

It's not needed in every game

also can fill in for case for the inevitable suspensions

Unread 05-08-2023, 11:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if we play the way 10h has been setting us up, then in a two with cass (behind some combination of rashford, bruno, hojlund and garnacho or some of the squad players).

but nicer with cass and mainoo.

meanwhile, people are getting excited about mason £#%&!ing mount.

Not me big man....

Loving armchairs set up though.....

Whisper it ..... ?

Unread 06-08-2023, 01:34 AM
Stickman

Quote:
You do it more at difficult aways…

Anfield and City i’d be starting a player like that with Casemiro. You then put Mount or Bruno in the front 3.

You don’t need a cast iron 11 week to week in my view, you need flexibility.

Unread 06-08-2023, 09:42 AM
andyroo

Some nice goals... Martínez's interception and pass to send us away for Antony's goal was class

Unread 06-08-2023, 11:13 AM
BigJim

Quote:
Doesn't really work that way though, does it? There is no single "set up" that has to be employed just because a new face is coming in. Having a player like this gives us more options, more permutations to choose from depending on the type of game and who's available.

I would say the biggest upgrades we needed to address were 1) CF, 2) GK, 3) Squad depth. We simply couldn't go on with the drop off in quality from Casemiro to either The Scottish Player or Fred, especially for the biggest games like Arsenal away last year. Ideally, you don't really want your best players playing more than 50 games a season (unless it's Fernandes, the freak) so there's enough full games for probably 16/17 players in a squad, more if you count the last half hour of games for up and comers.

Unread 06-08-2023, 02:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Doesn't really work that way though, does it? There is no single "set up" that has to be employed just because a new face is coming in. Having a player like this gives us more options, more permutations to choose from depending on the type of game and who's available.

I would say the biggest upgrades we needed to address were 1) CF, 2) GK, 3) Squad depth. We simply couldn't go on with the drop off in quality from Casemiro to either The Scottish Player or Fred, especially for the biggest games like Arsenal away last year. Ideally, you don't really want your best players playing more than 50 games a season (unless it's Fernandes, the freak) so there's enough full games for probably 16/17 players in a squad, more if you count the last half hour of games for up and comers.
that’s not my point tbh.

My point is if we bought a defensive midfielder which we do need , we wouldn’t be on here posting that we need to sign Mason mount.

there we wasted our limited budget on a luxury squad signing.