Unread 16-04-2021, 10:50 PM
silv

Summer Lightning by P.G Wodehouse

If thereís been a better author than Wodehouse then Iíll eat my top hat

Unread 17-04-2021, 07:31 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Finished Eastern Horizons. Wonderful travel book. The guy was only 22 years old and hitchhiked from home in England to the Himalayas in India through the Silk Road (Russia, Georgia, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan). This was during the time military occupation was being ramped up for the "war on terror" so there is some personal observations and exchanges related to local folks and their perceptions of it. But it overwhelmingly paints a positive picture of hospitality as per local culture and exploration of culture. It's not all pretty and some aspects are grim but it was not meant to be a holiday. Stories of survival and not just being a typical western tourist looking for a easy and quick getaway make the story great. There was purpose to what he was doing. A lot of great historical facts and background shared to fill in the gaps too. I don't usually read these kind of books but now I'm going to take more of an interest.
Will dig that out thanks

Unread 23-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Buck

Finished The End of Her by Shari Lapena - her fifth and most recent crime thriller book. Probably my least favourite of hers because it's more predictable but still I enjoyed it. She's very good at crafting exciting mysteries with plenty of twists and in the setting of perfectly respectable suburban households and communities where everyone on the face of it seems happy, successful and normal. I read my first book of hers in one night and the rest take a week. They're not too long and she writes in a way that the perspective of the reader rotates through the different characters. So you get a developing idea of who each person is, what they are thinking and are up to as the plot progresses so you can try and get ahead of the mystery, but never long enough to know if it's a clue or a red herring. It's a very easy to read style.

Unread 23-04-2021, 10:48 AM
no fun

If I canít have you by Charlotte Levin

Manc girl goes to London becomes obsessed with colleague

Good read, especially if you have ever had a psychotic bird*

8/10

* yes I know thereís no other type

Unread 23-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Jethro

Decent read. Can't say I am arsed with the childhood background stuff but the band stories are superb especially his death and the madness surrounding his 'viking funeral'

Unread 23-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Knockers

Halfway through Milkman by Anna Burns - won the Booker the other year. Unnamed girl has troubles during The Troubles. Very stylised prose so itís a bit of a slog. Enjoying it, mind.

Unread 23-04-2021, 01:22 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post

Decent read. Can't say I am arsed with the childhood background stuff but the band stories are superb especially his death and the madness surrounding his 'viking funeral'
Looks worth a gander that. The post death story probably the weirdest bit.

Unread 23-04-2021, 02:24 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
Looks worth a gander that. The post death story probably the weirdest bit.
Wrote some brilliant songs, A Song For You, Hot Burrito #1, Brass Buttons etc. Really enjoyed the Barney Hoskyns book on that era called Hotel California. Will look this out.

Unread 23-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Jethro

When it comes to American country he seems the default go to for a lot of people which riles up true country heads. But his influence can't be understated. Without him and the Byrds album, Sweetheard of the Rodeo, we probably wouldn't have got The Eagles, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt etc.

Something about him being a mega rich compulsive liar that's quite endearing.

Unread 23-04-2021, 02:42 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
When it comes to American country he seems the default go to for a lot of people which riles up true country heads. But his influence can't be understated. Without him and the Byrds album, Sweetheard of the Rodeo, we probably wouldn't have got The Eagles, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt etc.

Something about him being a mega rich compulsive liar that's quite endearing.
So it wasn't all good then