United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 06-04-2021, 10:45 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Mate, he's just a bit shit.

West Ham make the pitch bigger, they play with 9 men deep behind the ball, with the two most advanced players (Lingard being one) chasing and pressing after the ball. And when they win the ball back they just pick it up and run at the opposition on the break. It's a simple job that he does well.

But unless you want to completely change the way we play and build a team around a mediocre 28 year old bean fanatic then we should be counting our lucky chickens that we're in a position where another club might want to buy him.

If he plays for us again, the only natural role he'll have is to play in Bruno's position, one where he won't just be breaking everytime he picks up the ball, and where he would actually have to play some solid football. In reality he'd be man-marked out of the game by oppositions that set up like West Ham do now. Within a month you'd be cursing the fact that we didn't sell him while we could.
That's just not true I'm afraid.

Unread 06-04-2021, 10:50 AM
ZiggyStardust

Glad to see him playing so well mainly because it makes getting a big fee for him a lot easier

Absolutely no way he should be brought back to Utd as a squad player
He's clearly not suited to a club of Utd's size and being a bit part player

He hardly scored or assisted for 2 straight seasons, it's hardly a surprise fans were getting on his back

There's no question he suits a smaller club that has space to break into
He doesn't suit trying to make things happen in tight spaces against packed defences
No way do Wolves give us as much space as they gave West Ham last night if they were playing us

Unread 06-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I detest Lingard.

BUT.

Why are people pretending some of our best games under Ole haven’t seen us playing counter attacking football with a really quick transition from the defence to the attack? Lingard would probably do well in those games.
Those games are few and far between, and they are usually the bigger games in the season. So we'd have to drop someone better than him just to squeeze him in and hope that he can actually do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's just not true I'm afraid.
Don't be afraid. It'd be great if he wasn't shit. It would make the summer a lot easier and it would be nice to have another good player to pick from. Unfortunately he isn't good and he is just a bit shit, and not selling him if we have the chance to do so would be a massive mistake.

Unread 06-04-2021, 11:30 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I detest Lingard.

BUT.

Why are people pretending some of our best games under Ole haven’t seen us playing counter attacking football with a really quick transition from the defence to the attack? Lingard would probably do well in those games.
He would be a better asset than James and a good option I agree.

I just think his maturity (28 FFS) and him being in a rut at United led him to this point. Question is will he lean and come back hungry and wanting to get on or will he fall into the age old habits?

Hopefully the former but you never know with him.

Unread 06-04-2021, 11:43 AM
Sloppy

Amazing what a player can do after months of rest when everyone else is absolutely shattered.

Unread 06-04-2021, 11:44 AM
shenwen

He's not coming back. Not least because his performances have seriously raised his value.

Glad for him. Despite all his social media cringe, he's an (almost) local lad who was playing for the club he supported as a nipper. Lived the dream. Now go and bring in some cash for Ole,

Unread 06-04-2021, 11:52 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Amazing what a player can do after months of rest when everyone else is absolutely shattered.
#PrayForTM

Unread 06-04-2021, 11:53 AM
utd99

Are people actually forgetting the amount of opportunities he got in Ole’s first year and a half? I’d say he was actually one of the managers favourites for a good long while, and we all know how it ended - with him tearing his £#%&!ing hair out on the sidelines at City. But yeah, let’s judge him instead on a handful of games at West Ham.

Unread 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Pop

If this is where we're at as a fanbase, pining for Jesse £#%&!ing Lingard, in the £#%&!ing bin I'm going.

Lingard ffs.

Unread 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM
redhegemony

Let's not rewrite history he was largely gash. He's found his level as many others have done before him.

Unread 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Are people actually forgetting the amount of opportunities he got in Ole’s first year and a half? I’d say he was actually one of the managers favourites for a good long while, and we all know how it ended - with him tearing his £#%&!ing hair out on the sidelines at City. But yeah, let’s judge him instead on a handful of games at West Ham.
Mad innit? He played 40 games in Ole's first full season playing roughly the same system we play now and he did £#%&! all. Worse than £#%&! all. Now he'd fit right in

Unread 06-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Mad innit? He played 40 games in Ole's first full season playing roughly the same system we play now and he did £#%&! all. Worse than £#%&! all. Now he'd fit right in
If anything he’s an option. Does anyone know our best forward line? Other then Fernandes nobody has really staked a credible claim for the rest of the positions. Marcus has done well but reeked of shit in other games - I also think he’d be better at the #9 position rather than on the left.

Unread 06-04-2021, 01:32 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
If anything he’s an option. Does anyone know our best forward line? Other then Fernandes nobody has really staked a credible claim for the rest of the positions. Marcus has done well but reeked of shit in other games - I also think he’d be better at the #9 position rather than on the left.
Greenwood similarly looks better as a #9 - could be we go back to 4-4-2 with easy as a switch in formation to accommodate them both readily? Doubtful. We'd need an absolutely iron midfielder alongside Bruno. Pogba would have enough freedom down one flank and James or Amad down the other.

Lingard could, imho, contribute down the right but there's no other position for him. If we can get good money for him to improve the squad, that's got to be a better call.

Unread 06-04-2021, 07:19 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
An option for what? You don’t move forward by moving backward mate. Lingard got an honest crack, the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Greenwood similarly looks better as a #9 - could be we go back to 4-4-2 with easy as a switch in formation to accommodate them both readily? Doubtful. We'd need an absolutely iron midfielder alongside Bruno. Pogba would have enough freedom down one flank and James or Amad down the other.

Lingard could, imho, contribute down the right but there's no other position for him. If we can get good money for him to improve the squad, that's got to be a better call.
We played him on the right. No goals, no assists. Not much of a contribution imo.

Unread 06-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Vida_15

Lingard is playing well as a #10.....he won't play that here because of Bruno and he won't be willing to sit on the bench plus Ole won't play with one holding mid

Unread 06-04-2021, 07:57 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
An option for what? You don’t move forward by moving backward mate. Lingard got an honest crack, the end.

We played him on the right. No goals, no assists. Not much of a contribution imo.
Keep your knickers on mate. Personally I don’t want him come back but given we maybe, if the rumours are correct, we have money for one big signing then we may have to take him back.

If that is the case then the loan will either sort his head out or he needs selling. I hope he is sold.

Unread 06-04-2021, 09:07 PM
92ToBury

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...er-this-summer

Unread 06-04-2021, 09:08 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Valid point there

Unread 06-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
35 million with 10 million in yearly add ons. If not tell them we will offer him somewhere else. Just bullshit . Even if west game turns us down ,lingard should sell for around 20 mill

Unread 06-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Chris Quayd

June 1: Transfer window opens
June 1: West Ham make a bid for Lingard
June 20: Woodward counter bids with p/e with Rice
June 20: West Ham tell Woodward Rice isn't for sale at any price
July 2: Woodward raises bid for Rice/Lingard swap by 12 Venezuelan Bolívars, to be paid in installments
July 10: West Ham unveil their backup choice attacking midfielder. They also block Woodward's email and Whatsapp
August 4: Woodward, sensing blood, offers Lingard a new contract to show West Ham he means business in the negotiation for Rice
September 1: Lingard signs the contract and the club are able to protect his value and cash-in two years later, when his testimonial turns a small profit