United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2019, 02:37 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Dreadful article. When supposedly quoting Paul Pogba they add this quote -

“The Paul Pogba that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to see. Willing with the ball, quality on it, and provided two assists, the first a ball that Rashford simply won't be able to feed off if he were to leave."

I can’t believe Pogba said that as it makes no sense as a Pogba quote. It’s badly written with mistaken quotation marks if it’s the journalist’s words. Just dreadful, and calls into question the whole article.
That's part of the next section under the headline "Man Utd vs Chelsea player ratings", it's a quote from that not part of the Pogba article above it.

Irritating formatting all right but they're not trying to pass it off as a Pogba quote

Unread 12-08-2019, 03:56 PM
jem

he's the poor man's veron. but we don't have the poor man's keane or scholes.

Unread 12-08-2019, 04:29 PM
utd99

While you can appreciate his quality, you also know that playing him in that formation is going to £#%&! us at some point.

If Ole wants two wide men playing higher up the field and pressing the back line, then surely Pogba at the tip of a 3 man midfield triangle, with The Scottish Player and Matic at the base (and McT given freedom to push forward when we have the ball) would make us far less exposed to what Pogba won't do, and able to capitalize on what he can.

Unread 12-08-2019, 04:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
While you can appreciate his quality, you also know that playing him in that formation is going to £#%&! us at some point.

If Ole wants two wide men playing higher up the field and pressing the back line, then surely Pogba at the tip of a 3 man midfield triangle, with The Scottish Player and Matic at the base (and McT given freedom to push forward when we have the ball) would make us far less exposed to what Pogba won't do, and able to capitalize on what he can.
Yeah, but than Matic is in the team and that £#%&!s us

Unread 12-08-2019, 04:36 PM
AK14

Quote:

Or play Axel instead of Matic

I know it’s playing people out of position again, but I think he could do well in that role giving him first team games before signing a proper defensive mid in January or next summer.

Has pace and is composed on the ball enough to play that role imo.

Unread 12-08-2019, 04:37 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah, but than Matic is in the team and that £#%&!s us
Not if The Scottish Player does most of his running and he does more of the instructing. We're not exactly blessed with an abundance of quality midfielders atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Or play Axel instead of Matic
In central midfield?

Matic is definitely not what he was, but I don't think he's fallen off a cliff the way it's being presented. I'd take an 80 year old Matic over relying on Pogba to do any defending.

Unread 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM
AK14

Quote:
Not if The Scottish Player does most of his running and he does more of the instructing. We're not exactly blessed with an abundance of quality midfielders atm.

In central midfield?

Matic is definitely not what he was, but I don't think he's fallen off a cliff the way it's being presented. I'd take an 80 year old Matic over relying on Pogba to do any defending.
I think he’d work well in the defensive mid position tbh? It could allow Pogba and The Scottish Player to get forward and he’s pretty good on the ball too?

Think it was Dunk that mentioned it the other day, but he played there for Mourinho a couple of years back albeit for a couple of games.

I just think Matic’s legs have gone now, he was terrible in pre season and I’d rather give a kid a chance there instead.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

Paul Merson said playing him deeper was a stroke of genius.

So you're absolutely right.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:27 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Cream

Quote:

Plain as day.

Oh well. Suppose he'll see how it pans out.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:

In central midfield?

See Matic Vs Sigurdsson at Goodison last season. Atrocious.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
See Matic Vs Sigurdsson at Goodison last season. Atrocious.
Read earlier that only 5 players that played that day started against Chelsea.

Of course that was the game that Ole suggested many of them wouldn’t have a long term future.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Cream

Quote:
Read earlier that only 5 players that played that day started against Chelsea.

Of course that was the game that Ole suggested many of them wouldn’t have a long term future.
And yet still we have fans slating Ole for not being true to his word.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones

Fourth goal again raised questions over the idea Pogba is lazy, which ironically feels the easy analysis. 3-0 up and he basically busts a gut to help us get another goal. I don't think he's a guy who isn't trying, but he tries too hard to stand out. He needs to realise that great players understand the Cruyff quote that simple football is the best football, but is the hardest to play. The third goal Pogba is playing simple football. When he does that he looks far better than when he's auditioning for a Zidane imitation highlights reel.

Unread 12-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Fourth goal again raised questions over the idea Pogba is lazy, which ironically feels the easy analysis. 3-0 up and he basically busts a gut to help us get another goal. I don't think he's a guy who isn't trying, but he tries too hard to stand out. He needs to realise that great players understand the Cruyff quote that simple football is the best football, but is the hardest to play. The third goal Pogba is playing simple football. When he does that he looks far better than when he's auditioning for a Zidane imitation highlights reel.
I get the feeling he is lazy in the sense that he doesn't want to put the effort into finding space. Would rather try and use strength and skill to make space. He thinks he's better at it than he actually is. He's no Berbatov, or Matic for that matter.

He could also anticipate the simple pass to a teammate. Lay it off and wait to receive it back. No biggie.

But he's no Paul Scholes.

This lad is an attacking midfielder and has no place playing deep.

Unread 12-08-2019, 11:03 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

100% this.

He was trying too hard early on yesterday

First game back at OT after how it ended last season, One of the senior players and probably feels like he has to become a leader?

Not sure who said it but I agree he looks ‘bigger’ and not as lean as he used to? Or it’s the hair colour and just an illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I get the feeling he is lazy in the sense that he doesn't want to put the effort into finding space. Would rather try and use strength and skill to make space. He thinks he's better at it than he actually is. He's no Berbatov, or Matic for that matter.

He could also anticipate the simple pass to a teammate. Lay it off and wait to receive it back. No biggie.

And this too.

Unread 12-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Cream

Quote:
100% this.

He was trying too hard early on yesterday

First game back at OT after how it ended last season, One of the senior players and probably feels like he has to become a leader?

Not sure who said it but I agree he looks ‘bigger’ and not as lean as he used to? Or it’s the hair colour and just an illusion
Him, Shaw and Lukaku. Three big fat slobs.

Fergie would have them doing shuttle runs etc.

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:27 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

I don't think it's laziness; the spatial awareness is a talent in itself. Unfortunately he's not a bright player. To fail to understand some of these basics at 26 is quite something. His quality is such that he could play himself out of any situation, but he freezes mentally.

I think it was Liam Brady who said the great central midfielders are already thinking ahead and Pogba's brain is a second behind.

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Cool

Quote:
And yet still we have fans slating Ole for not being true to his word.
Because he had already or subsequently given some new contracts e.g. Mata this summer.

They're still on the bench, Lingard still in the first team

Unread 13-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Because he had already or subsequently given some new contracts e.g. Mata this summer.

They're still on the bench, Lingard still in the first team
He gave him and Matic a shoutout after the game. Experienced heads in the dressing room.

Smart move.
Closed Thread