Shiny new one please, on footprint or directly next to. 29 23.97%
Shiny one please not bothered if they move it across town 2 1.65%
Fold the club. 9 7.44%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:17 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Arsenal's stadium was considered among the best stadium's in the world less than 20 years ago now it's a shithole. You can't build character, let the new stadium nonces go and try the cheeseboard at Tottenham's stadium
This & Im certain majority of reds would rather have, Old Trafford as it is(leaky roof & the any other warts), than a new ground, in which would offer more encouragment to visiting teams rather than be of any help to United in terms of winning 3 points in home games or getting through to the next round in FA Cup ties each season ect!

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:26 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacter
Straightforward for me.

They claim it would be cheaper to knock it down and build a new one. I say our heritage is worth more than any saving they could possibly make.
Which bits are our heritage? All of it has been rebuilt at some stage.

Genuine question, not taking the piss.

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:31 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

Triggers brush.

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

All SJR need to do is pay for the roof to be repaired & no need to go crazy & have the ground knocked down & re-built particuly with all the up-heavel it would bring to the team( particuly as some of them will jump at the chance of any excuse for not producing great results on the pitch without handing them a golden excuse), and as I have already stated Im certain most reds would rather keep Old Trafford as it is than go through all of that nonsence!

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:40 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
All SJR need to do is pay for the roof to be repaired & no need to go crazy & have the ground knocked down & re-built particuly with all the up-heavel it would bring to the team( particuly as some of them will jump at the chance of any excuse for not producing great results on the pitch without handing them a golden excuse), and as I have already stated Im certain most reds would rather keep Old Trafford as it is than go through all of that nonsence!
Which bits other than the roof can be changed? Were you against the other redevelopments (north stand, quadrants etc...) as they all fundamentally changed the stadium to something unrecognisable to how it was pre-95.

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:47 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Which bits other than the roof can be changed? Were you against the other redevelopments (north stand, quadrants etc...) as they all fundamentally changed the stadium to something unrecognisable to how it was pre-95.
No one was because it was still old Trafford....

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:51 PM
Hyman_Roth

My main issue is I don’t want a brand new stadium that fits the brief for 2024 and the current thinking around new stadium development when we already have one that ticks most boxes for most supporters but obviously not all.

You’re taking something that’s imperfect but still functioning and decent and risking it all to secure some unknown bullshit driven by insta focus groups.

£#%&! off.

Unread 06-02-2024, 08:56 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

Not everything is quantifiable. The stadium has constantly evolved over the last 114 years but every time it changes it's a new chapter in the history of the stadium. You can't put a figure on a balance sheet for the history of having held FA Cup Finals, been bombed by Nazis, seen the great Busby teams, a hundred year old match fixing scandal, Billy Meredith, Eric, Class of 92 etc. That is part of the buzz of going to Old Trafford and cannot be replicated now matter how much craft beer and strong wifi signal you put in a new stadium.

What exactly is the benefit of throwing all that away for an identikit modern stadium? What can a new stadium do that a renovated OT can't? All this talk of modern fans and the next generation but I'm sure if you asked 'The Youth' at Arsenal and Liverpool about their affinity to their stadiums it would be Liverpool fans who would be the happier of the two.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:01 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Not everything is quantifiable. The stadium has constantly evolved over the last 114 years but every time it changes it's a new chapter in the history of the stadium. You can't put a figure on a balance sheet for the history of having held FA Cup Finals, been bombed by Nazis, seen the great Busby teams, a hundred year old match fixing scandal, Billy Meredith, Eric, Class of 92 etc. That is part of the buzz of going to Old Trafford and cannot be replicated now matter how much craft beer and strong wifi signal you put in a new stadium.

What exactly is the benefit of throwing all that away for an identikit modern stadium? What can a new stadium do that a renovated OT can't? All this talk of modern fans and the next generation but I'm sure if you asked 'The Youth' at Arsenal and Liverpool about their affinity to their stadiums it would be Liverpool fans who would be the happier of the two.
Amen and close the thread.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:01 PM
silv

Quote:

and do you think we’ll ever see memories of the like again?

we’re shit and so is football now

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:04 PM
NedKelly

Used to love going with my dad and later on, my uncle. Wanted to take my eldest in the next few years and then the youngest after that. Wouldn’t be the same taking them to something that holds no sentimental value to me whatsoever. So, for purely selfish reasons, I’m dead against it.

From a more objective POV - I don’t think any new stadium in recent memory has been particularly great. I know West Ham fans despise the London stadium, which to be fair was never built for football. But Arsenal is another one that’s just soulless, and the novelty seems to have worn off for a few Spurs fans at their new ground too.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

You've never been anyway

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:11 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

If you think we're destined to be dogshit why bother getting a shiny new stadium?

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:12 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:

Preach

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:14 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

If that's a genuine question

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:15 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

This.

The people really gunning for new stadium development are those seeking greater corporate income and income diversification, property developers, consultants and contractors.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:28 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
If that's a genuine question
?

Of course it is. The stadium isn't going to like this in 20 years time. So which bits are people going to protest about when they change? The roof supports?

Obviously most would kick off if they took down the statues and the Munich memorial bits. But is there anything else? Anything fundamental to a football stadium?

The South Stand has long housed the majority of our facilities. If it was knocked down and a North Stand replica was built, would that be ok? Presumably all the facilities would change as a result of it.

Most people are nostaligic for the stadium. I get that as we have great memories there. But the idea that we can just keep it as it is today (largely unchanged in 18 years) for another 20 years is a bit silly. Throughout the 80s, 90s and 00's it was regularly redeveloped. Why does that have to stop now?

Is this redevelopment or new construction:

This was the Stretford end in the 70s:

Pretty sure none of that still remains.

So why stand still now? Because our generation have fond memories of the current incarnation under Fergie?

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Halloween

Old Trafford is a £#%&!ing dump and nothing remains of any historical note anymore. Those who want to keep it are symptomatic of our decline, if you don’t want to see the club progress and keep up then that’s fine but don’t bitch when we remain a mid table club. Football has moved on, accept it.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

I don’t think you are taking the piss and I understand the point to make.

The thing is, like the club, Old Trafford has evolved and changed with the times. So even though it has changed, you can still draw a direct line back to it being the same place where all the ghosts of our past played. The same place where, over the years, just another football team in the North became the famous Man United.

For all that new stadiums are engineering marvels they don’t strike me as anybody’s home in that same sense. It’s an ethereal debate really, not something you can quantify. I might sound a bit overly romantic, or even a bit “Scouse” but I don’t think the gloss of a state of the art arena is an acceptable trade off against demolishing our home.

Unread 06-02-2024, 09:34 PM
Lok

Quote:

That's largely a load of nostalgic buzz words. As you say, the stadium has been constantly redeveloped. So why should it stop now? Why can't it all be rebuilt to a modern standard. It doesn't have to be a souless identikit stadium.

The babes didn't play in front of these stands or even on the same grass we have today.