United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I don't really want to see another £20million+ forked out on a defender tbh (and I'd include Alves in that also). It's not needed.
I guess a lot could depend on the progress of Evans and Pique. Say neither makes an impression this season, then next summer Richards is available. Rio will be nearly 30 by then. I just can't see Fergie passing up the opportunity, much like he didn't with Rio himself in 2002.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
When and where was it suggested that Rio would be sold? £#%&!ing madness if true.
The current issues Backbeat. When mentioning United being in for Richards (already inquiring), the last line states that it could be an "interesting summer"
for Rio. I agree, it'd be madness to even consider selling him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, I was just saying to someone the other day - is it just me or is it criminal the amount of times a defender of Rio's talent hoofs the ball?
Indeed. But it goes to something deeper in our football don't you think? When a player of such quality is forced into suppressing his natural talent, in order to prove his worth. Same goes for all those advocating picking Heskey (before his injury) ahead of Rooney. The Europeans must be laughing their %@#$&!s off at that! But these sort of attitudes are common in English football and are the reason we fail to produce technically accomplished players that can compete at the highest level. But it's much easier to blame the number of foreigners in the Premiership

Sorry lads, rant over

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I wish Rio would come out of defense more often with the ball or join in attacks. Unlike Richards (who seems more willing to get forward), Rio clearly has the talent for it. But the criticism and general suspicion of "footballing" defenders in England seems to hold him back, which I think is a shame.
You also have to consider how our central midfielders position themselves when the ball is in the defence. Carrick and Scholes are both players who like to drop deep to pick the ball up from the back. If you put someone who likes to make more positive runs early in the build-up in there I think Rio would bring the ball out more.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The current issues Backbeat. When mentioning United being in for Richards (already inquiring), the last line states that it could be an "interesting summer" for Rio. I agree, it'd be madness to even consider selling him.
I've heard a few times that Queiroz isn't, or at least wasn't, a great fan of Rio. Anyone know if this is true?
Quote:
Sorry lads, rant over
If in doubt, kick it out!

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:45 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I've heard a few times that Queiroz isn't, or at least wasn't, a great fan of Rio. Anyone know if this is true?
Had'nt heard that. If that's true I'd be worried about him being the new manager. I don't really trust people who don't rate Rio.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
If in doubt, kick it out!
Our old PE teacher used that expression all the time when coaching (I use the term very loosely!) our school team! The @#%&!

Excellent point about our deep midfield. Just something I've been mulling over since the Wigan game. Pique seemed more willing to bring the ball out and to play quick, intelligent balls into the forwards (see the build up to the first goal). It just occurred to me that Rio rarely seems to play like that, which is a shame when you consider the positive impact it can have on our performance.

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Whalefish

CQ did want Andrade at OT for a time. Don't know if he wanted rid of Rio though, can't see it myself. Vidic is apparently gaining a growing reputation throughout Europe. Won't be surprised to see a club or two express an interest soon. Although I don't think he's going anywhere.

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM
The Return of JC

Thumbs up

[quote=S/Side.Red;591812]Had'nt heard that. If that's true I'd be worried about him being the new manager. I don't really trust people who don't rate Rio.[/QUOTE]

That's a great statement.

Unread 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
legendary saf

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...864702,00.html

8 months and counting

Unread 06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53831
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53825

Thanks for letting us know.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:28 AM
legendary saf

Man Utd boss Ferguson: Neville OK

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has allayed injury fears surrounding skipper Gary Neville.

The news of Neville's latest setback sparked fears of another lengthy absence for the defender, who has not played a first-team game since breaking his ankle against Bolton in March.

However, Ferguson has claimed the 32-year-old will be back in contention for the trip to Bolton on November 24.

"Gary will be okay next week," said the Scot.

"He felt a bit of a strain in his calf, so panic immediately sets in with everybody because he has had such a hard time.

"But the projection is that it is more precautionary than treatment requiring, so he will be back in the game after Blackburn."

I wouldnt hold my breath....

Unread 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
sharath

it could be game, set and match for neville soon. when you are 32 and you have these niggling strains and knee related injuries, you have to worry.

simmo was great yesterday. hopefully he keeps his place against blackburn.

Unread 08-11-2007, 05:51 PM
legendary saf

He should do, Pedersen is a slow joke, Simpson wont have much problems.
Closed Thread