Originally Posted by legendary saf
Another 2 weeks out.

Thigh injury.
sorry, shall we sign someone else then?

Unread 24-08-2007, 01:04 PM
dodger

Quote:
I dont think we will until next summer and hopefully Alves just stays put at Sevilla till then. But you have to admit Gary is injury prone, the white Saha.
Haven't Chelsea signed Balletti? Alves wonlt go there now if so

Unread 24-08-2007, 01:06 PM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Haven't Chelsea signed Balletti? Alves wonlt go there now if so
Thats right, but they have the Robben money and you just never know with Chelsea, they could easily have bough Belleti just to be part exchange for Alves, sounds weird but I wouldnt rule it out. Ferreira is another who could be part exchange.

Anyway, i can guarantee you Chelsea aren't done with dealings over right backs, whether it be departures or arrivals.

Unread 24-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Darth Vidic

Retire from international football

Unread 24-08-2007, 01:53 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
Retire from international football
Categorical 'no' from the man himself in the Telegraph last week.

Unread 11-10-2007, 11:22 AM
legendary saf

Looks like the setback was true...

Neville misses Reserves clash

Gary Neville has not been included in United's Reserves squad to face Liverpool tonight.

The Reds skipper, who has not played for the first-team since damaging ankle ligaments against Bolton on 17 March, had been pencilled in to play in the game to boost his match fitness.

The 32-year-old has been troubled by calf and thigh problems this season, a frustrating follow-up to a successful ankle operation in the summer.

Neville's next opportunity for Reserve team action isn't until Thursday 1 November, when the second string take on Stockport County in the Manchester Senior Cup.

You can watch the match live and exclusively on MUTV. Coverage, including match build-up starts at 18:30 BST, with highlights available on MUTV Online from Friday.

United team: Zieler; Gray, R Eckersley, Chester, A Eckersley; Lee, Cleverley, Hewson, Barnes; Dong, Fagan.
Subs from: S Evans, Woods, C Evans, Drinkwater, Welbeck.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...&newsid=478293

Unread 11-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Tronics

It's been sad to see Nevz on the sideline for soo long.

But since he's gone we've had some good fill ins non more so then Simpson who i think should be given a chance to cement his place.

Unread 11-10-2007, 09:46 PM
legendary saf

From The Times
October 12, 2007
Gary Neville’s injury woes continue with delay to latest comeback
Oliver Kay

Gary Neville has suffered another setback in his bid to recover from the longest injury layoff of his career, having pulled out of a proposed come-back match for Manchester United reserves against Liverpool last night.

Neville’s fitness is a growing concern for United and England after an absence that is expected to drag into an eighth month. The 32-year-old had hoped an appearance in last night’s reserve-team match would end the anguish that began with an ankle ligament injury during United’s 4-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers on March 17, but as he struggles to fight off calf and thigh injuries, his return to competitive action has been delayed for at least a fortnight.

Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, tried to dismiss concerns about Neville’s long-term future yesterday, saying that his captain was “over his last injury” and “only needs games now”. United maintain that Neville’s omission from last night’s match was a precautionary measure, rather than a reaction to a new problem, but there is concern about his susceptibility to injury. Since the start of the 2004-05 season, he has missed 52 of United’s 123 league matches.

In his absence, Micah Richards has established himself at right back for England and it is not clear whether Neville would have won back his place had he been fit to play in the European Championship qualifying matches against Estonia tomorrow and Russia on Wednesday.

At United, Wes Brown has enjoyed an almost uninterrupted run at right back since March. In the longer term, Ferguson has high hopes for Danny Simpson, who made his Barclays Premier League debut against Wigan Athletic on Saturday, and Rafael and Fabio Silva, the 17-year-old Brazilian twins, who hope to receive clearance to join from Fluminense in January.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2641643.ece

Unread 11-10-2007, 11:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'd say maybe 1 more season, and fingers crossed Alves won't join Chelsea this summer so we can pick him up next year.
Alves is a great player but you surely can't justify spending £25m on him, which is what Sevilla want. Even Madrid wouldn't pay that. If we buy someone, I think it will likely be another Evra-type signing.

I agree Neville could well need replacing as early as next summer. If he ever does get fit, chances are he will have lost a little. He's at an age where you can't afford to be having lengthy layoffs, while the recent injury record you mentioned does not bode well.

But Fergie will presumably be keen to give Simpson plenty of appearances this season to get a good look at him. By next summer, hopefully he'll have become a reliable performer and Neville’s absence is not felt as much. If it turns out he’s not up to it and a liability, we’ll need to bring another right-back in.

Of course, if Rafael does well early on he could affect Fergie’s long-term thinking. Either way, I can’t see him spending big on the position while he’s got a couple of young hopefuls already at the club.

Unread 11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
But Fergie will presumably be keen to give Simpson plenty of appearances this season to get a good look at him. By next summer, hopefully he'll have become a reliable performer and Neville’s absence is not felt as much. If it turns out he’s not up to it and a liability, we’ll need to bring another right-back in.

Of course, if Rafael does well early on he could affect Fergie’s long-term thinking. Either way, I can’t see him spending big on the position while he’s got a couple of young hopefuls already at the club.
Agree. Two big ifs are whether Simpson will be able to cut it at the highest level and whether those Brazilian kids are as good as we hope. If so, I don't think there will be a need to buy any full backs in the summer. Resulting in the summer being focused on buying one (possibly two?) strikers, genuine number nines. I hope so anyway, would be a welcome change seeing a local lad come through and cement his place in the first team.

If we do go after a fullback, the latest issue of RI suggests Richards to be the most likely target. Hopefully, we won't need him!

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Agree. Two big ifs are whether Simpson will be able to cut it at the highest level and whether those Brazilian kids are as good as we hope. If so, I don't think there will be a need to buy any full backs in the summer. Resulting in the summer being focused on buying one (possibly two?) strikers, genuine number nines. I hope so anyway, would be a welcome change seeing a local lad come through and cement his place in the first team.

If we do go after a fullback, the latest issue of RI suggests Richards to be the most likely target. Hopefully, we won't need him!
Thing about these Brazilian lads is, from what I've seen and read, Fabio is held in much higher regard, and he's the left-back.

I think there's no doubt United will be in for Richards when he leaves City. To be honest, I thought he was a little over-hyped last season at right-back for City, but ever since his performance against us in the derby I've been convinced that if Fergie gets his chance he'll take him as a long-term centre-back. Needs to work on his positioning (like most 19-year-olds) but he looks a fantastic prospect and I think we'll be at the front of the queue.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Whalefish

Richards is about to sign a new contract isn't he? I just cannot see the lad switching from Citeh to Utd. Wants to play for Arsenal some day, silly buy out clause in his new deal, etc etc. Haven't read the new Red Issue though so don't know what they're saying.

I've said before I'd like to see Utd bring in Ivanovic from Lokomotiv Moscow. He's available in January apparently and Utd, Juve plus a few others have been watching him. The only problem with this kid is he's versatile. Can play across the back four so whilst that's a Fergie wet dream it also means he may, should Fergie get his way, never really nail down one position.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:11 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Thing about these Brazilian lads is, from what I've seen and read, Fabio is held in much higher regard, and he's the left-back.

I think there's no doubt United will be in for Richards when he leaves City. To be honest, I thought he was a little over-hyped last season at right-back for City, but ever since his performance against us in the derby I've been convinced that if Fergie gets his chance he'll take him as a long-term centre-back. Needs to work on his positioning (like most 19-year-olds) but he looks a fantastic prospect and I think we'll be at the front of the queue.
I've sen very little of the Brazilian lads, jut read match reports and the occasional link here.

Regarding Richards, I agree. Similar to what was in 'Backbeat', which also suggested that we may listen to offers for Rio. Can't see it myself.

The city @#%&! has all the attributes that are admired in English football. Very strong, great athlete, brave and poor technique. When he bombs forward (quite spectacularly on occasion) on the counter attack, he almost always gets into very good attacking positions, but doesn't use the ball well enough imo. But that'll improve with training and experiance. Arsenal are very interested in him too.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Richards is about to sign a new contract isn't he? I just cannot see the lad switching from Citeh to Utd. Wants to play for Arsenal some day, silly buy out clause in his new deal, etc etc. Haven't read the new Red Issue though so don't know what they're saying.
Well, the harsh reality for them is that we'd simply outbid them if it came to it. The buyout clause will be too rich for Arsenal's blood.

Quote:
IThe city @#%&! has all the attributes that are admired in English football. Very strong, great athlete, brave and poor technique. When he bombs forward (quite spectacularly on occasion) on the counter attack, he almost always gets into very good attacking positions, but doesn't use the ball well enough imo. But that'll improve with training and experiance. Arsenal are very interested in him too.
Completely agree, which is why I was never really that impressed with him at right-back. It's less of a problem in the middle, but like you say he can improve on that.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
One interesting thing about Fabio is that he's right footed. So presumably he could be converted into a right-back if required, no? It would obviously lessen his impact in terms of cutting inside in the attacking third, but on the surface it would still seem to be a possibility.

Was very impressed with him at the U-17 World Cup, by the way. Actually thought he was Brazil's best performer at the tournament. Although it's obviously impossible to say at this stage whether he or his brother will make it at United.

Hopefully Simpson will have proved that he's up to it by the time the Brazilian lads are ready anyway, and it will all be academic.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
One interesting thing about Fabio is that he's right footed. So presumably he could be converted into a right-back if required, no? It would obviously lessen his impact in terms of cutting inside in the attacking third, but on the surface it would still seem to be a possibility.

Was very impressed with him at the U-17 World Cup, by the way. Actually thought he was Brazil's best performer at the tournament. Although it's obviously impossible to say at this stage whether he or his brother will make it at United.
Good point, he is right-footed. Apparently he's even useful in the air. Tim Vickery mentioned this when comparing him to Sorin in an article a while back.

Good thing is that we should know where we stand with Simpson before long. Neville probably won't be back for at least another month. It's a perfect opportunity for him. If Simpson can't make an impression this season, he probably never will.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:21 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
The buyout clause will be too rich for Arsenal's blood.
Unless the Russian buys them

Quote:
Completely agree, which is why I was never really that impressed with him at right-back. It's less of a problem in the middle, but like you say he can improve on that.
tbh, I wish Rio would come out of defense more often with the ball or join in attacks. Unlike Richards (who seems more willing to get forward), Rio clearly has the talent for it. But the criticism and general suspicion of "footballing" defenders in England seems to hold him back, which I think is a shame.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Well, the harsh reality for them is that we'd simply outbid them if it came to it. The buyout clause will be too rich for Arsenal's blood.
I don't really want to see another £20million+ forked out on a defender tbh (and I'd include Alves in that also). It's not needed.

When and where was it suggested that Rio would be sold? £#%&!ing madness if true.

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:23 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
tbh, I wish Rio would come out of defense more often with the ball or join in attacks. Unlike Richards (who seems more willing to get forward), Rio clearly has the talent for it. But the criticism and general suspicion of "footballing" defenders in England seems to hold him back, which I think is a shame.
Yeah, I was just saying to someone the other day - is it just me or is it criminal the amount of times a defender of Rio's talent hoofs the ball?

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Good point, he is right-footed. Apparently he's even useful in the air. Tim Vickery mentioned this when comparing him to Sorin in an article a while back.
Yep. That's something that has impressed me. His aerial ability makes him a real danger at set-pieces too.
Closed Thread