United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
ivan9188

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I've no idea but with Gabby leaving, letting the Goldfish brained idiot go would leave us short of cover at fullback.
Brown and Pique coming back, surely we would cope without tweety?

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan9188
?

I don't trust Brown at RB, never mind LB.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Neither are left footed, let alone left backs.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
ivan9188

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
?

I don't trust Brown at RB, never mind LB.

If we kept gabby and sold tweety and with brown and pique we would have enough cover right across the defence.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
If we kept gabby and sold tweety and with brown and pique we would have enough cover right across the defence.
We aren't keeping Gabby though, he wants outand will be in Spain at the start of next season. Wih him gone we'll have to keep Goldfish to cover Left Back.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
dunk

Hasn't Silvester already been quoted this close season saying that he's going nowhere, plus I'm sure he got a new contract late last year.

I'd rather Silvestre stayed than Heinze, at left back he is more of a threat going forward than Heinze, plus he has the pace to make up for his errors.

I'm just hoping that we are waiting for the Spanish Season to finish, the week after secure our striker and offload the deadwood to give us all a month or two off the constant pressure of the end of season battle closely followed by the endless speculation. It would be nice to no where we are and what's happening with enough time to look forward to and get giddy about the new season rather than approching it with a certain amount of dread as with the last 3.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
24hr Leavesey

No joke. Anderson can play there, and very well too by all accounts.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Baron

Physically, which players match up to the requirements of playing up front on their own?

Torres, Klose, Eto'o (fanciful - he'd cost £#%&!ing fortunes) & possibly the Itailan who's name I can't spell without looking it up - lad at Sampdoria.

Of those, Eto'o is the finished article - and what a player. So lets scrub him off the list, just too expensive.

Klose - has he signed for anyone yet? I'd take him in a heartbeat - the big strong brave £#%&!er that Saha wished he could be. Very underrated on the deck as well. Big nose mind which reminds me of Hamann. The @#%&!.

Torres - hitting form I believe after a slowish start to the season - still always going to command a huge fee but has all the natural elements to be shit hot in the right team. Always a chance he could be a Luque or Morientes though away from his beloved Athletico.

Sampdoria bloke - only seen highlights, pointless expanding as I know £#%&! all about him. Looks talented if I was pushed for an opinion, which I'm not.

Trezeguet's still a possibility as well.. last year of his deal....

Anyone in England capable of doing this job? Dean Ashton?

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
antonin jablonsky

Dean Ashton? So slow he looks like he's "running" in a strobe. Klose's almost certainly off to Bayern.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Baron

Quote:
Dean Ashton? So slow he looks like he's "running" in a strobe. Klose's almost certainly off to Bayern.

I thought Bayern were getting Luca Toni? or they getting both?

Ashton was a touch tongue in cheek

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

I reckon both. There's a lot of talk about Santa Cruz being offloaded. Criminal waste of talent.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
We aren't keeping Gabby though, he wants outand will be in Spain at the start of next season. Wih him gone we'll have to keep Goldfish to cover Left Back.
Correct.

Having two quality players for each position can create a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Because both are quality they could both walk into most teams in Europe. Gabby has been linked to Juve, Barca and Real.
He's highly regarded and sought after so why would he want to play second fiddle to anyone?
On the other hand, if Silvestre was to leave then he'd go to Newcastle, West Ham or the like.
His options are different. He can either play 20-25 games a year for us, or take a step down to become a regular.

Basically, he's far more likely to stay because being here is the better option. Gabby is brilliant cover and can be rotated, but his quality also ensures he can find CL football and title potential elsewhere.

Silvestre is always more likely to remain a squad player.

If Gabby goes, he must stay. We all know his shortcomings, but he's experienced and versatile and does a job.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
I think we should just wait for the Spanish season to finish to see what is what regarding strikers.

I'm convinced Torres is the one SAF really wants, and if there is any possibility of getting him - or possibly even Eto'o, then he will give it a go. Torres fits the profile of most of SAF's recent buys, he's young with great potential, fast, strong etc - just needs a stage to fulfill that potential.

If or when the likes of Torres and Eto'o are either priced out or impossible to shift, then the cheaper alternatives like Anelka become more likely.

I wouldn't rule out another big buy at this stage though, Gill worded his statement quite cleverly last week - but there is clearly one more to come.
I agree. I think Torres is still on the agenda.

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if a £25 million striker is on the agenda.
And if I'd said to you one week ago that we were about to spend £50m in 48 hours?

I think a striker is a certainty, and I reckon Fergie will go for the best he can get.

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
khmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Also, why did we enquire about his availabilty (if rumours are true) and then say we're not interested.

I can only picture a silly prank call.

Ring Ring.

Gartside: 'Hello. Phil Gartside.'
Gill: 'Hi. It's David Gill. Just ringing to check the availability of Nicholas Anelka.'
Gartside: 'He's not for sale.'
Gill: 'Good!....because we don't want him....ah ha ha ha ha....''

Gill hangs up.

Buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Klose's nailed on for Bayern.

Bremen have said as much.

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Sloppy

Quote:

Toni signed for them wednesday.

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Klose's nailed on for Bayern.

Bremen have said as much.
Shame.

Good job Bayern aren't in Europe next year, wouldn't fancy playing against Toni & Klose.

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Tronics

The quicker Anelka comes the better.

Even with all that attacking flair Smith wouldn't be able to score 15+ goals next season.

We need a recognised striker that can play in our new formation.

Unread 04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I agree. I think Torres is still on the agenda.
So do I. For the first time in his career, he genuinely wants to leave Athletico. I think this puts them in a weaker position to negotiate from. How long does he left on his contract, 2 years? That'll influence the fee too.

I really do think a fee of around £15 million would see him move. Assuming we have around £7-8 million left, add in the money we'd get for Henzie, richardson and (maybe) Rossi - it definitely looks a possibility.

Unread 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Not sure how long is left on his deal. I think it may take slightly more than that, but not much. I don't see any other big club in Europe coming in for him for anything close to the £27m buyout. The time has come for them to sell him. In hindsight, they should have done it a few years ago when he was worth a fortune.

I'd say £20m would get him, which we could fund a good £12-13m of by selling Smith, Heinze and Richardson.

Not sure where everyone would play, mind. Long-term, Nani, Anderson, Rooney, Ronaldo and Torres would be fighting for four positions.
Closed Thread