United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-09-2019, 01:19 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
spurs currently in the middle of a worse run with a 5 to 6 year old manager whos won nowt .. nothing gets printed
Tbf, during the middle of this bad run they secured top four off the back of a zero spend and reached their first ever European Cup final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The only things we've seen similar to this over the last 35 years are:

1) When Fergie took over in '86, briefly steadied the place and we finished 2nd in his first full season in '88. However he then got down to the business of stripping out the squad of all the old heads and we quickly plummeted down the table. Finished 11th in 1989 and then 13th in 1990, Just 5 points clear of relegation where you saw the now infamous "3 years and it's still crap tara" flag..FA cup win saved his job.

2) When Van Gaal came in post moyes and stripped away all the old guard leaving us in a similar state squad-wise as we are now. He finished 5th, won the FA Cup but was still binned off halfway through.

It's shit but the club really have to ride this one out and back the manager. We can't keep starting over every other year. It's gonna take 2-3 years to sort this and it needs to be done now.
Unlikely to get that kind of patience now. Van Gaal got two years but truth is his goose was cooked after less than 18 months at the first real sign of trouble. It's down to everyone involved with the club to show some long-term understanding.

One thing Ole should get is the benefit of the doubt in that regard, even if it is out of blind loyalty. He should go nowhere before May.

Unread 24-09-2019, 05:53 AM
puressence

[quote=S/Side.Red;5246271]Tbf, during the middle of this bad run they secured top four off the back of a zero spend and reached their first ever European Cup final.

they scabbed to a cup final and did what ?// they scrapped top 4 by a point based on early season form im talkins the same period since the psg game google results its not hard . and the manager is 5to 6 years into his team , not 6 months

Unread 24-09-2019, 06:36 AM
redhegemony

Look at how many windows it took Pochettino to turn Spurs round and we were in a much worse state. He's s made some huge decisions Lukaku, Fellani, Smalling Sanchez. 4 big name players who we all moaned about. He's given the youngsters a go and bought what looks to be 3 quality players. The football is quicker and less turgid and the defence is almost there.

We' re going in the right direction and in a year's time we'll have probably shipped Matic and Mata and we'll know which of the young players can really step up. He might as well phase them both out and use Fred and the young players as neither has a future. I'd make Mata captain of the Europa side and give him a job nurturing the youngsters not getting first team games.

The most difficult job is finding and persuading some high class midfielders around 26-28 to come. We need some senior players.

Unread 24-09-2019, 06:48 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Look at how many windows it took Pochettino to turn Spurs round and we were in a much worse state. He's s made some huge decisions Lukaku, Fellani, Smalling Sanchez. 4 big name players who we all moaned about. He's given the youngsters a go and bought what looks to be 3 quality players. The football is quicker and less turgid and the defence is almost there.

We' re going in the right direction and in a year's time we'll have probably shipped Matic and Mata and we'll know which of the young players can really step up. He might as well phase them both out and use Fred and the young players as neither has a future. I'd make Mata captain of the Europa side and give him a job nurturing the youngsters not getting first team games.

The most difficult job is finding and persuading some high class midfielders around 26-28 to come. We need some senior players.
Completely agree.

Would be great to find someone in January.

Unread 24-09-2019, 07:31 AM
puressence

Quote:

its not difficult to get players to come .. maddison for one would walk to utd . brooks another , he wants young lads theres two upgrades and what we have both big utd fans , and sancho another , although utd going for dier wouldnt surprise me , hes not getting a kick at spurs and fits the mould of what oles looking at , wish utd would break the bank for son at spurs

Unread 24-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Tbf, during the middle of this bad run they secured top four off the back of a zero spend and reached their first ever European Cup final.

Unlikely to get that kind of patience now. Van Gaal got two years but truth is his goose was cooked after less than 18 months at the first real sign of trouble. It's down to everyone involved with the club to show some long-term understanding.

One thing Ole should get is the benefit of the doubt in that regard, even if it is out of blind loyalty. He should go nowhere before May.
Keep him after may. Ideally they sign at least 1 first team player in jan and then probably another 3/4 in the summer. Thats 7/8 players for ole. He started off playing a 4 3 3 and he should go back to it imo.

Woodward has to go, in the mean time just lower expectations. We will finish between 5th-8th . Should ole do better ? Yes. Sack him? £#%&! no.

If they sack ole between now and jan 2020 without backing him properly the fans should riot .

The sad thing about this is, theyll be caring about net spend. The club need to spend 300 mill across 2 seasons, i just hope they dont wait for pogba to leave and spend his money players.

Go out , get a recrutiment team , find players early and sign them.

Unread 24-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:
One of these players would need to have the ability to lead the team on the pitch. Not sure as to who that could even be, but it's essential imo.

Unread 24-09-2019, 08:08 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
I've said it before that half the big girl's blouses on here would be nodding dogs to Alan Hansen's kids' comments nowadays
If he said it now? Of course we would.

We don't have the young kids coming through like we did years ago. That was a freak bunch of lads and will never happen again.

Don't get what point you keep trying to make?

Unread 24-09-2019, 09:44 AM
shenwen

Quote:

You're kidding right? I'm not seeing it. Yes, not as negative as Mourinho in terms of set up, but still the same stale, turgid shit.

Agree that the squad direction is right, and I'm definitely backing Ole, but there is nothing happening on the pitch that suggests progress.

Matic and Mata for a year? £#%&! that. Both out in January. Radical overhaul needed. More of what happened at the end of this summer, but with some replacements please.

Unread 24-09-2019, 09:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
You're kidding right? I'm not seeing it. Yes, not as negative as Mourinho in terms of set up, but still the same stale, turgid shit.

Agree that the squad direction is right, and I'm definitely backing Ole, but there is nothing happening on the pitch that suggests progress.

Matic and Mata for a year? £#%&! that. Both out in January. Radical overhaul needed. More of what happened at the end of this summer, but with some replacements please.
This. Would not be against a stop-gap or two in January, just to see these 2 £#%&!ed off.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:14 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
If he said it now? Of course we would.

We don't have the young kids coming through like we did years ago. That was a freak bunch of lads and will never happen again.

Don't get what point you keep trying to make?
We have 2 in the team right now and another 3 or 4 on the fringes You’re talking about the Co92 from the perspective of knowing, 25 years on, what they would become; back then we had no idea, just like we don’t have much idea what this lot will become. It’s like you’ll only give youth, or the manager, the benefit of the doubt if you’re allowed to see how it plays out first. Doesn’t work that way mate.

He may correct me, but I think that’s the point he’s trying to make.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:21 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We have 2 in the team right now and another 3 or 4 on the fringes You’re talking about the Co92 from the perspective of knowing, 25 years on, what they would become; back then we had no idea, just like we don’t have much idea what this lot will become. It’s like you’ll only give youth, or the manager, the benefit of the doubt if you’re allowed to see how it plays out first. Doesn’t work that way mate.

He may correct me, but I think that’s the point he’s trying to make.
Times have changed. If Alan Hansen said it now, he would be right. You need experience and that is something we are severely lacking.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:25 AM
utd99

Quote:
Times have changed. If Alan Hansen said it now, he would be right. You need experience and that is something we are severely lacking.
It’s £#%&!ing miraculous how you called both situations spot on though Koppas. Even though they appear similar but the outcomes were polar opposites. Well done son; you should be on Sky or something.

Oh btw, you just proved his point.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:26 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
It’s £#%&!ing miraculous how you called both situations spot on though Koppas. Even though they appear similar but the outcomes were polar opposites. Well done son; you should be on Sky or something.

Oh btw, you just proved his point.
Don't need to tell me that. I'm wasted on here.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:29 AM
utd99

Quote:
Don't need to tell me that. I'm wasted on here.
When you went to Stamford bridge at the weekend did you sit in the shed?

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:31 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
When you went to Stamford bridge at the weekend did you sit in the shed?
No mate, West Stand Lower.

Unread 24-09-2019, 10:35 AM
utd99

Quote:
No mate, West Stand Lower.
Ah ok cheers.

Unread 24-09-2019, 11:02 AM
AK14

Difference between the Co92 and now is we still had a load of top class players in the side, a world class coach and a winning mentality through out the club.

Would the they be as successful if they came into this current set up? I very much doubt it.

Unread 24-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Baron

Quote:
Ah ok cheers.

Unread 24-09-2019, 11:18 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Ah ok cheers.

Closed Thread