Closed Thread

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:06 PM
borsuk

Default quality journalism

spot the difference....

fergie

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Boss slams replay stories

The United boss was angry when his remarks on the possibility of playing extra-time instead of a replay were misreported by a national newspaper.

"It was scandalous stuff in The Sun newspaper, scandalous," Sir Alex told MUTV. "I don't know what we do about these people.

"There was never any question of Manchester United asking to scrap replays. I said that (in my press conference) yesterday. You can’t deny clubs like Southend and Torquay the chance to get some glory for themselves and get some revenue.

stan collymore

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Sir Alex Ferguson needs to learn when to shut up, writes Stan Collymore

Sir Alex Ferguson is deluded that being manager of Manchester United entitles him to dictate to the FA about the running of the game.

His latest musings about using an obscure rule scrapping FA Cup replays when both teams agree and his pontifications on the merits of a winter break have really annoyed me.

It sparked memories of Rafa Benitez's recent strong criticisms of Ferguson, which captured a lot of attention.

The Liverpool boss famously claimed Fergie was above the law and had referees in his pocket, in a memorable outburst. But despite reprimanding Ferguson, Benitez's rant cannot have bothered the Scot much because just two weeks later he has put his head above the parapet again.

This time he is advocating a monthlong break in January and trying to activate a little-known clause which was meant for non-League clubs to prevent them traipsing up and down the country on a budget for endless Cup replays.

Yet United are the wealthiest club in the world - or at least were before Man City's takeover - so trying to use FA rules designed for tiny clubs is ridiculous.

Ferguson is a wonderful football manager but he is not and should not attempt to be a football administrator. When is Fergie going to realise that winning trophies and being at the helm of Manchester United football club doesn't buy you currency in the administration stakes?

Ferguson deserves a lot of respect for his distinguished reign at Old Trafford since 1986.

But he is one of the 92 managers like everyone else and should stop being a 'big-time Charlie', having a go at the FA and arguing for bizarre statutes.

Fergie is a wonderful manager but he is not and should not attempt to be a football administrator

what a tit.

still, i'm sure there will be a full-page apology tomorrow for printing lies...

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:11 PM
thatsfuctit

email him

http://new.talksport.net/contact_us.asp?live=1

carlosartorial

If the FA were that £#%&!ing arsed about the integrity of their competition why did they end multiple replays and stop the final going to a replay?

I would pull us out of the £#%&!ing thing again and really give them something to cry about.

They make me laugh crapping on about that £#%&!ing trophy.

armchair

Ulrika needs to learn when to shut the £#%&! up, writes Stan Collymore

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

i read that bottom one in a brummie accent

i doubt collymore wrote it though, tbh

not on his own, anyway

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:13 PM
elephantstone

don't upset him he might spiral into a deep depression and leave Talksport

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Ether

"
It sparked memories of Rafa Benitez's recent strong criticisms of Ferguson, which captured a lot of attention. The Liverpool boss famously claimed Fergie was above the law and had referees in his pocket, in a memorable outburst"

It was a couple of weeks ago you soft @#%&!, why is he talking like it happened years back

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:18 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i read that bottom one in a brummie accent

i doubt collymore wrote it though, tbh

not on his own, anyway
Not the headline thats for sure, it's the usual shit from Stan the woman beating man, perhaps it would have been a good idea if he had actually watched that fergie press conference before commentating, but then thats not what the mirror pays him for is it, accurate comment.

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Pete's Shoes

You'd think The Mirror would have had the sense to pull this especially after Fergie specifically had a pop at their rivals The Sun after the match. He should sue the £#%&!ers. It was the Mirror who went on and on about us devaluing the cup when we had to pull out.

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

copy book

moving the story on

might be useful in the run-in

especially with the cracking up chant taking off a bit

wonder if Stanley even knows about the piece yet tbh

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:23 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
If the FA were that £#%&!ing arsed about the integrity of their competition why did they end multiple replays and stop the final going to a replay?
I would pull us out of the £#%&!ing thing again and really give them something to cry about.

They make me laugh crapping on about that £#%&!ing trophy.
Spot on. What was it they said last week "Replays are an itergral part of the history of the competition" or some shite?

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Exactly, and another thing related to that is sponsorship. If this competition was such an untouchable, holy sacrament, they should not have it sponsored.

It makes me laugh when they talk about it in sacred terms and then have them going 'sponsored by E-On' every two minutes and utterly ruin the cup presentation, which used to be special, with silly advertisement hoardings and stupid £#%&!ing fireworks.

They are total hypocrites.

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Mr_Ed

This the 'FA' who cancelled semi-final replays themselves and moved the same semi's to Wembley to line their own pockets.

£#%&! the corrupt @#%&!s.

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

didn't they cancel replays or something themselves

Unread 26-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Sparky***

"The romance of the fa cup, it's all about the minnows getting their day in the sun - oh good old fa cup, cloth caps and bovril, white horses and upsets. Yes, that'll be £50 a ticket please. What's that? You what a ticket for the final? £#%&!off, we've got corporate sponsors to worry about."

Unread 26-01-2009, 07:37 PM
IsaacHunt

The only reason the FA Cup has been thought of in such glowing terms is that it was one of the only competitions that has been on free-to-air TV since TV became a household commodity. The league was never covered, certainly not live until very recently, so fans really on had the FA Cup to watch.

Unread 26-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHunt
The only reason the FA Cup has been thought of in such glowing terms is that it was one of the only competitions that has been on free-to-air TV since TV became a household commodity. The league was never covered, certainly not live until very recently, so fans really on had the FA Cup to watch.
there is an element of truth in that, no doubt

but i'm guessing you

a/ don't remember the magic of the Cup when that was all United really had

b/ weren't at Villa Park in 2002 - or 1999 - for just 2 examples

Unread 26-01-2009, 10:28 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

The FA Cup is a brilliant competiton, it should never be degraded the way it is...teams in the bottom half of the premiership just happy to plod along instead of trying to win a medal/trophy.
Our FA Cup Final wins since 1983 have given me some of the greatest days of my life, another example of money ruining football.

Unread 26-01-2009, 10:33 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
"
It sparked memories of Rafa Benitez's recent strong criticisms of Ferguson, which captured a lot of attention. The Liverpool boss famously claimed Fergie was above the law and had referees in his pocket, in a memorable outburst"

It was a couple of weeks ago you soft @#%&!, why is he talking like it happened years back
I read the pile o' shit story this arvo and thought the same thing.

He's pandering to every abu in the country.Absolute braindead @#%&!.Nobody can take Collymore seriously (if anyone ever did) after that article.

Unread 26-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
there is an element of truth in that, no doubt

but i'm guessing you

a/ don't remember the magic of the Cup when that was all United really had

b/ weren't at Villa Park in 2002 - or 1999 - for just 2 examples
Therein lies the greatest irony of all in the so-called "de-valuation" of the FA Cup - if I or any reds I know are anything to go by, and I see no reason to think differently, United's support loves the competition as much, if not more, than anybody else's. It has probably given us more highs than any other club, certainly since the mid 1970s. Sure, the likes of Coventry, Wimbledon and no end of non-league clubs have had their moments in the sun, but just how many utterly fantastic days have we had in it? I'd bet we could name over 20 proper goons we've had in the FA Cup off the top of our heads in no time, my first proper FA Cup memory being the Hillsborough semi against Leeds (in fact, we've probably had at least half a dozen truly memorable semi-finals alone in that time).

But why would the media let the truth get in the way of a good ABU rant?
Closed Thread