United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:45 AM
History

If Ronaldo goes, someone else will step up. Guranteed.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
how much did we sell beckham for and they made 3 times the money they bought him for on merchandise alone.100mill to us but they will make much much more.but hes not going anyway so its all good.
We sold Beckham for around £25m I think, it was the right decision though. He was getting on a bit and his mind wasn't solely concentrated on football.

Madrid clearly benefited a lot from Beckham for non football reasons but i'd have been disappointed had the club just kept a player for marketing reasons.

Ronaldo though, is the complete package and at only 23 there is absolutely no chance of United letting him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
What you're saying makes total sense, but I've had this nagging doubt since the end of the Wigan game that he wasn't going to be around much longer. But £#%&! it, see what the next two weeks brings. I'm firmly in the doom camp.
Yeah I totally understand your stance mate, the press are only hyping up the things that suit their agenda.

Quote:
Ronaldo said: “My future will be clear next week. Everyone will be pleased — my club as well as me.

“I think I will definitely be here next season. Yes, I want to stay.

“I have played five years for this club and I’d love to stay here.

“I love the people, the players are fantastic, the atmosphere is unbelievable, the staff are great. That is the reason I want to stay.
Was one of his last few quotes before he said this

Quote:
"What the press speculate about goes over my head," Ronaldo said. "I have already been used to it for the past two years.

"I am calm. Everything's clear and I will repeat it once again so that the whole world understands: there will be news in two or three weeks.
Make of that, what you will.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
If Ronaldo goes, someone else will step up. Guranteed.
how can you guarantee anything if you can't even spell it. i shall have nightmares tonight.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago
We sold Beckham for around £25m I think, it was the right decision though. He was getting on a bit and his mind wasn't solely concentrated on football.

Madrid clearly benefited a lot from Beckham for non football reasons but i'd have been disappointed had the club just kept a player for marketing reasons.

Ronaldo though, is the complete package and at only 23 there is absolutely no chance of United letting him go.
@5mil a year. he was worth that to the manchester economy in haircare products alone.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Sloppy

Quote:

agree with you mate it was just the money they made from him.if they were to get ronaldo they would make a shit load.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Serenity Now

To be honest, you can blame Madrid, Marca and AS as much as you like - they're certainly @#%&!s of the highest order, of that there's no doubt - but if Ronaldo came out and clearly said that he was 100% happy at United, that he felt at home here, that he'd definitely be here next season, that he thought it was a good project to be involved in, and so forth, I think you'd see most of this speculation go away overnight.

Instead he comes out with things like "you never know the future", "we'll see in two weeks", "it's no secret that I've always dreamed of playing in Spain", "we'll see before the Euros" and "only god knows what will happen."

Personally, I don't find this kind of attitude particularly endearing. Yes, it undoubtedly makes sense from a financial perspective, but I think it shows a distinct lack of appreciation for what he has at United and for the support that he's received here - from Sir Alex, from the fans, and from the club in general.

He's not a United fan of course, or someone who's come up from the academy like Giggs or Scholes, but if you contrast his attitude to players like Vidic, Rooney or Evra, there's basically no comparison for me.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:56 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
how can you guarantee anything if you can't even spell it. i shall have nightmares tonight.
Sorry missed an a out.

Unread 31-05-2008, 01:59 AM
miss white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
To be honest, you can blame Madrid, Marca and AS as much as you like - they're certainly @#%&!s of the highest order, of that there's no doubt - but if Ronaldo came out and clearly said that he was 100% happy at United, that he felt at home here, that he'd definitely be here next season, that he thought it was a good project to be involved in, and so forth, I think you'd see most of this speculation go away overnight.

Instead he comes out with things like "you never know the future", "we'll see in two weeks", "it's no secret that I've always dreamed of playing in Spain", "we'll see before the Euros" and "only god knows what will happen."

Personally, I don't find this kind of attitude particularly endearing. Yes, it undoubtedly makes sense from a financial perspective, but I think it shows a distinct lack of appreciation for what he has at United and for the support that he's received here - from Sir Alex, from the fans, and from the club in general.

He's not a United fan of course, or someone who's come up from the academy like Giggs or Scholes, but if you contrast his attitude to players like Vidic, Rooney or Evra, there's basically no comparison for me.
Brilliant post - and so late on a Friday - you have good rep (if only I knew how to give it)

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Camel

Quote:

i still don't think he'll leave this year. it'll be when alex goes or the year before.
Quote:
Sorry missed an a out.
Guranteed

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:04 AM
History

Quote:

Guranteed
£#%&! off it's late

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Camel

Quote:
£#%&! off it's late
jesus h christ, you're not even gonna offer the pissed/stoned excuse. you @#%&!

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Thiago

Quote:
The thing is, he's already said those things and the speculation is still rife. I don't think anything will stop the Spanish press publishing these stories every day bar Ronaldo signing a new contract with anti Real Madrid clauses.

Is it disrespectful of him to say nobody knows what will happen in the future? He's not gonna retire here is he? So although it's unnecessary to come out with things like that now you can fully understand it, whether he means it or is just saying it to put more pressure on United to speak to his agent.

Ronaldo isn't innocent here but he is not as guilty as it may seem on the outside, the press coverage has been incredibly biased. Whenever Ronaldo pledges his future to the club it goes under the radar, whenever any talk of him wanting to play in La Liga in the future it gets sensationalized. This is their agenda and judging by some of the views of United fans on a few boards they seem to have succeeded.

I think this will all end next week and he'll get his new contract.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Camel

plus the portuguese have a more philosophical approach.

comes from the devout catholocism.

when he says he's not sure he'll be here next year could mean he's going on a white water rafting trip in colorado and isn't sure if he'll make it back.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Serenity Now

It's no good saying to English TV that you're happy and you're definitely staying one minute, and then walking over a few metres to speak with the Spanish TV reporters and saying that you'll decide on your future in two weeks the next. That's what he did after the Champions League final, and essentially what he's been doing for many weeks now. If Ronaldo seriously wanted to calm down all this furore, there's no question that he could. He clearly doesn't.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:23 AM
Camel

Quote:
It's no good saying to English TV that you're happy and you're definitely staying one minute, and then walking over a few metres to speak with the Spanish TV reporters and saying that you'll decide on your future in two weeks the next. That's what he did after the Champions League final, and essentially what he's been doing for many weeks now. If Ronaldo seriously wanted to calm down all this furore, there's no question that he could. He clearly doesn't.
true, but i'd put my house on him being here for 1 more season at least.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:24 AM
History

Quote:
jesus h christ, you're not even gonna offer the pissed/stoned excuse. you @#%&!

I'm an honest guy, who can't spell well...when its late.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Thiago

Quote:
I don't see it being linked to anything other than his contract, unless you actually think he's gonna shoot himself in the foot and try to force a move.

The last time the door was slightly left open for the Spanish press was over a year ago and there was similar nonsense printed until he signed a contract extension and I think that's all there is to it.

One thing is for sure though, he has said he's happy at United and his mind is in Manchester aswell as i'm staying more than this 'I dream of playing in Spain one day" nonsense which incidentally Ronaldo isn't the only one of our players with a dream like that.

Anyway, these were his last few comments before he went into silenced and started concentrating on the Euros

Quote:
Ronaldo said: “My future will be clear next week. Everyone will be pleased — my club as well as me.

“I think I will definitely be here next season. Yes, I want to stay.

“I have played five years for this club and I’d love to stay here.

“I love the people, the players are fantastic, the atmosphere is unbelievable, the staff are great. That is the reason I want to stay.
Quote:
"What the press speculate about goes over my head," Ronaldo said. "I have already been used to it for the past two years.

"I am calm. Everything's clear and I will repeat it once again so that the whole world understands: there will be news in two or three weeks.
If he was leaving there is absolutely no way he would talk it up the way he did at the end there.

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Camel

Quote:
I don't see it being linked to anything other than his contract, unless you actually think he's gonna shoot himself in the foot and try to force a move.

The last time the door was slightly left open for the Spanish press was over a year ago and there was similar nonsense printed until he signed a contract extension and I think that's all there is to it.

One thing is for sure though, he has said he's happy at United and his mind is in Manchester aswell as i'm staying more than this 'I dream of playing in Spain one day" nonsense which incidentally Ronaldo isn't the only one of our players with a dream like that.

Anyway, these were his last few comments before he went into silenced and started concentrating on the Euros

If he was leaving there is absolutely no way he would talk it up the way he did at the end there.
you are legendary saf, and i claim my prize

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Ether

Quote:
you are legendary saf, and i claim my prize
I was just think the same thing

Unread 31-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Luffy

Quote:
deciphering what goes on in the press is reading between the lines.

my interpretation of events is that Ronaldo is £#%&!ing delighted with the season he's had, is very happy here, plays the best football in the world with a team which is YOUNG and thrilling. He's seen that he can accomplish anything here and being the ambitious player he is he won't just look at a title or two and thats it, new challenge please.

he'll be looking at ryan giggs and bobby charlton, cantona and ole etc. he doesnt want to just play then leave, he wants to become part of this clubs history because its one of the few big big clubs now which has a genuinely rich list of legends.

in spain players are meat, trading cards, assets, swapped and used and all sorts and more often than not never endear themselves to fans or clubs.

look at how ronaldinho left barca, how etoo will leave, no one gives a £#%&! about henry. before that rivaldo, figo and so on and so on. he can stay and try to become a legend or he can go and join the circus act.

he knows this. he will stay here for football and sentimental reasons and will leave when he feels he can do no more and wants a new challenge and wants to play in the sun - think cantona and beckham. they reached their peak, things broke down and they went to play in spain/usa/beach football etc. Ronaldo's into his family and this is a family club.

what happened was his agent got onto him after he got carried away after the final and probably told him to cool his horses and throw some spin in as they try to negotiate a new contract - probably for the benefit of both sides to be fair, anti madrid clauses etc. I also think the two week thing announced later will be a real doorslam in madrid's face if its a new contract, purposely building it up and slamming the door while the world is watching - thats what it will take considering he said "I am staying" about 15 times on live tv in the space of an hour.

if it was anything other than contract negotiations ronaldo wouldnt need to wait on anything, he could just confirm he is leaving as most players do when the season is over. hleb, flamini, ronaldinho etc. they can just say I am fed up or looking to see what opportunies there are elsewhere etc.

and on madrid's part, its a concerted media campaign to try to tempt and unsettle the player. this shows they've been unable to reach him privately and that he needs coaxing and that no battle has been won. why else would they be flooding the press with all this crap? to convince United to let the poor boy go? hah.

Its daily, its a managed and organised stream of pre-arranged stories designed to tempt ronaldo and keep madrid fans amused. thats the only plausible motive.
Closed Thread