Closed Thread

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Default SAF's Interview tomoz

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere but

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAF
Can you keep Cristiano Ronaldo?
“Ronaldo will not be leaving here in the next two years at least. He knows what’s best for him. When he becomes 25 or 26 he might have a different view and want something else out of life. And I wouldn’t be against him in that respect. What we’ve got to try and do is make sure we’re bigger. We can’t rest on what happened in Moscow. We’ve got to make ourselves bigger.
“It’s like this. Do you remember that movie called ‘I’ve Got Email’. With, um, Meg Ryan. The wee shop round the corner gets engulfed by the big one owned by Tom Hanks and she can’t do anything about it. That’s been happening in society for 30 or 40 years; the wee shop gets engulfed by the supermarkets. Well, we don’t want to be one of the small shops. I’d bloody hate to think Real Madrid can ride roughshod over us about a player. Yes, they courted Ruud van Nistelrooy and his agent courted Real Madrid. That was a marriage made in hell. The minute Van Nistelrooy signed his new contract it was a certainty he was leaving here. His one idea was to go to Real Madrid. We wanted him to go. Same with David Beckham, we wanted to sell Beckham. We don’t want to sell Ronaldo.”

How do you make United bigger? Is expanding the stadium part of it?
“I’m on to David Gill all the time about that. I know what we can do. In the main stand, at both ends, you build a steel structure up and across. Right? We can’t build back, because of the railway line behind, so we build upwards the way I’m talking about. Or shove all you press boys somewhere out of the road. That would get us 200 or 300 seats . . .
“Building just one corner of the main stand would get us another 6,500 seats and take us up to around 83,000 capacity. We could sell 100,000 tickets for our games but, architecturally, that’s not possible. At least if we build the way I’m talking about, it would make the façade of the stadium symmetrical all the way round and we’d reach Real Madrid’s level in terms of capacity, and it would make us bigger than anyone in England could do.”

How else can the club expand?
“Well, commercially we’ve done well. David Gill’s got a good team together. But that’s not my department. To me, the money we make doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters to me is that black type, as they say in racing circles. You want to play in European Cup finals. If someone like Ronaldo is playing in the European Cup final every year, he’s not going to go anywhere.”

Are you ever worried Wayne Rooney might feel uncomfortable about the rise of Ronaldo? When he joined United he was supposed to be the star.
“They’re great pals. I don’t think it affects the boy, no. Wayne’s a winner. It doesn’t bother him one bit. He’s got that, I suppose, Liverpool attitude, that ‘bugger you all’ type thing. And he doesn’t court celebrity. His girlfriend is great that way too. She’s a clever girl, down to earth.”

Some fans say Rooney is too unselfish for his own good, that he’d get more glory if he wasn’t such a team player. “Rooney’s not a selfish boy. He is a committed winner. He makes a lot of sacrifices, which don’t reflect on his individual performance, but as a team player he’s fantastic. He’ll play anywhere you ask. I mean, he says to me the other week, ‘Boss, I can play centre-half’. He’s said it half-a-dozen times. ‘I played centre-half for the school, you know’. I said, ‘But we’re playing against Drogba…’
“It’s a fantastic asset if you’ve got players like that. I had Brian McClair, a fantastic footballer. You could say to Chalky, ‘Go and play at right-back’, and he’d say, ‘Nothing surprises me about you’. He was so nonchalant, so temperamentally capable, that he could go and do it. And Rooney’s got the same assets in terms of saying, ‘Yeah, for the team, no problem’. He’s great.”

His progress has not been as dramatic as Ronaldo’s, though.
“Ah, but he’s eight months younger. Wait and you might see something…We know we have to work with Wayne in terms of finding his right position. I’m not sure what that is sometimes. He’s fantastic when he’s aggressive up front but when he drops in he offers so many options in terms of balance and looking at a situation quickly. So we’ve got to make up our mind. It would help me if we could get another player, a centre-forward maybe.”

Rooney and Carlos Tevez are quite small. Would you be looking for a taller striker?
“Possibly.”

Can you tell us who? As a present?
“Aye, that’ll be right.”

Unlike Ronaldo, it’s hard to picture Rooney leaving United.
“Yeah. He’s a local boy. He comes from 35 miles away. Okay, so not exactly ‘local’. I mean, you can’t say Liverpool’s ‘local’ to anything….”

Love the fact that SAF loves colleen

Love the fact that Roons is willing to play centre-half for this club!!!

The man-boy will be a legend for this club I know it!!

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:17 AM
thatsfuctit

“Yeah. He’s a local boy. He comes from 35 miles away. Okay, so not exactly ‘local’. I mean, you can’t say Liverpool’s ‘local’ to anything….”

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Smurf

Default Wum!

It’s like this. Do you remember that movie called ‘I’ve Got Email’. With, um, Meg Ryan. The wee shop round the corner gets engulfed by the big one owned by Tom Hanks and she can’t do anything about it. That’s been happening in society for 30 or 40 years; the wee shop gets engulfed by the supermarkets. Well, we don’t want to be one of the small shops.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf
It’s like this. Do you remember that movie called ‘I’ve Got Email’. With, um, Meg Ryan. The wee shop round the corner gets engulfed by the big one owned by Tom Hanks and she can’t do anything about it. That’s been happening in society for 30 or 40 years; the wee shop gets engulfed by the supermarkets. Well, we don’t want to be one of the small shops.

Whats a WUM fart-knocker?

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:25 AM
£#%&! KFC

he £#%&!in hates the Scousers (Wayne apart) doesn't he

'their £#%&!in perch'

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Mark Corrigan

Who the £#%&!s chalky

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf

He said that (or very similar) on MUTV, I saw it with my own eyes for a start

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Fergie is not really in a position to say ronaldo is staying for another two years, if the glazers want to cash in on that one they will despite what fergie and gill want. The fact is, without ronaldo we would likely still be competing for both the prem and the euro cup, with nani, park, giggs, rooney, tevez etc plus a new striker soon to come we would still be an extremely strong side, and the glazers would have 50m instant cash influx which would take care of 1 full year of interest payments and allow for a portion of the debt to be paid down.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Betty's Hotpot

£#%&!ing love Fergie, what a man.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Corrigan
Who the £#%&!s chalky

Tis replicated from a journo's notes shorthand mid-question

You know he meant Chocky

I know he meant it

And as such I resent Smurf claiming its a WUM!!

How many people do you know who are in a position to hear such stuff from SAF

YOU BLUE FACE @#%&!!!!

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:31 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Fergie is not really in a position to say ronaldo is staying for another two years, if the glazers want to cash in on that one they will despite what fergie and gill want. The fact is, without ronaldo we would likely still be competing for both the prem and the euro cup, with nani, park, giggs, rooney, tevez etc plus a new striker soon to come we would still be an extremely strong side, and the glazers would have 50m instant cash influx which would take care of 1 full year of interest payments and allow for a portion of the debt to be paid down.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

anyway £#%&!head the Glazers have come out tonite and said Ronaldo won't be sold unless Gill and Fergie want him to leave....but thanks for your concern

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

anyway £#%&!head the Glazers have come out tonite and said Ronaldo won't be sold unless Gill and Fergie want him to leave....but thanks for your concern
Link?

if they said that then fair play presuming they actually mean it.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:37 AM
ScarFace

I'm shocked Fergie watches chick flicks !

" i based my 94 team on the movie sleepless in seatle "

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Smurf

Seems like he was pissed. Which is fine by me.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:

Might have known you would come in pontificating

You talk such utter shite! If the Glazers wanted to sell him? Yeah right, they are really gonna £#%&! off the best (trophy-wise) manager United have ever had for Ronaldo's transfer fee aint they

Quote:
'The fact is without Ronaldo we would likely still be competing for both the prem and euro cup
Would we £#%&! you brainless £#%&!tard

Quote:
glazers would have 50m instant cash influx which would take care of 1 full year of interest payments and allow for a portion of the debt to be paid down
Yet again utter toilet coming from your fingertips! The interest alone is more than £60 million per year so I would love to see your accounts

Utter #@&%! talking utter #@&%! about something he knows #@&%!-all about

Luffy

Ronaldo was awesome for 2 years then Rooney came and he was awesome for 2 years and Ronaldo dipped.

Then Rooney dipped for 2 years and Ronaldo's been out of this world.

Who's to say that won't be repeated? Not too long ago it was Rooney who won every award at Utd, head and shoulders above everyone else it was embarassing. people forget how good he is and thats why he gets criticised - he simply isn't living up to his own standard. lets hope it was just form and injuries which got in his way, but the last time he seriously seriously looked like his old self was the fa cup final against chelsea - and in following pre-season he looked good until his injury. hasnt looked the same since.

negative thing is - does he have the drive to get as far as Ronaldo? Does he want to be the best in the world? I'm not sure, when you see him train, he isn't always pushing. Every stretch isnt trying to stretch further than last time, every minute isn't about making himself better at something like dribbling, skils, freekicks, penalties - that kind of thing.

I dont think this team can win anything again with a below par rooney unless nani, anderson and a new striker can deliver in his place.

£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Link?

if they said that then fair play presuming they actually mean it.
it's in the papers tomorrow but obviously they are lying

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:44 AM
shadowplay

Wum.

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
when you see him train, he isn't always pushing. Every stretch isnt trying to stretch further than last time, every minute isn't about making himself better

A doom-monger at this point would dig that pic out of him walking up the beach with his mam and dad

(I tried but couldn't find it)

I did find a pic of him with a fag in his gob though

Unread 25-05-2008, 12:57 AM
wonky no

we could win the double without ronnie. of course we could. with him it's more likely. it will be interesting to see how he goes on next season, you can't expect him to do it again. i wouldn't back against it though.

personally the developement of nani, anderson and hargreaves is probably more important that ronnie staying or going, in my eyes. that second season syndrome can be a right @#%&!, especially if you've won the lot in your first.

players will come and go. that's the thing with buying in instead of bringing them through. the way this side has gelled in its first season is pretty amazing, most teams would be using the 'transitional period' excuse. we just win the league and european cup double.
Closed Thread