United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:18 PM
El Calafate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I read a few of the comments on here/elsewhere after the match and I was surprised how little praise was given to Chelsea for changing the game in the second half. They are a £#%&!ing good side. It's true Scholes wasn't able to put in the same shift second half but there's no shame in that nor a surprise. He's not ideal when under pressure, and we were. There was a notable improvement when Hargreaves moved into the middle and he went off. He was excellent first half though. Should've gone in 2/3-1 up. Pity.

He'll still be a important player next season, as will Giggs I suspect, but going off Fergie's post match quotes neither will be the regulars they were.
a fair and balanced view of the game.

nft.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:19 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I read a few of the comments on here/elsewhere after the match and I was surprised how little praise was given to Chelsea for changing the game in the second half. They are a £#%&!ing good side. It's true Scholes wasn't able to put in the same shift second half but there's no shame in that nor a surprise. He's not ideal when under pressure, and we were. There was a notable improvement when Hargreaves moved into the middle and he went off. He was excellent first half though. Should've gone in 2/3-1 up. Pity.

He'll still be a important player next season, as will Giggs I suspect, but going off Fergie's post match quotes neither will be the regulars they were.

It's easier for some to just go for the most simplistic argument. I agree that next season there'll still be a big role for him to play, starting and off he bench, Giggs too. Thought, bringing Giggs on and moving Hargo inside regained us some momentum in that game, shoulda done it 15 minutes earlier actually.

Of course, next season should be one where Hargop, carrick and Anderson are our main men in midfield.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Tiberian

Scholes has tended to last 60/70 mins in most of the big games this year, that is about how long he can make a real impact in a high tempo game these days.

In the final he was excellent in the first half, really passed the ball well, especially considering it was a below par pitch. Breaking his nose did not help, he already suffers from asthma, no surprise he struggled with more respiratory issues. I thought he should have come off earlier to counter the control Chelsea were taking of midfield.

Giggs coming on gave Utd a player who could find space high up the pitch, more passing options open up, and Utd had the better of the extra time for me.

Hope Anderson develops next year, really needs to add some attacking edge to his game.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
It's easier for some to just go for the most simplistic argument.
It's slating Utd players for the sake of it instead of giving other sides credit that does my nut in.

The second half had nothing to do with Chelsea's ability and physical strength but because so and so was shite.

I personally thought Carrick and Scholes struggled against the Chelsea midfield (and Essien's movement forwards) second half. Shifting the XI about and bringing in two midfielders with energy and the ability to carry the ball forwards really helped. It took the pressure off Carrick a little.

Anyway that's going way off topic.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Rhodzy

Hopefully Evans won't leave, we've already lost 2 defenders so far this summer. Can we really afford to lose another?

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It's slating Utd players for the sake of it instead of giving other sides credit that does my nut in.

The second half had nothing to do with Chelsea's ability and physical strength but because so and so was shite.

I personally thought Carrick and Scholes struggled against the Chelsea midfield (and Essien's movement forwards) second half. Shifting the XI about and bringing in two midfielders with energy and the ability to carry the ball forwards really helped. It took the pressure off Carrick a little.

Anyway that's going way off topic.
I agree with all of that.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

we got to grips with Chelsea's power when we went to a 5

I hope, and expect, Hargreaves to have more power in his legs next season

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
we got to grips with Chelsea's power when we went to a 5

I hope, and expect, Hargreaves to have more power in his legs next season
Was surprised we stuck with a 4 for so long after Chelsea changed their team and got on top of us in that 2nd half. Had we moved Hargo inside earlier I think we'd have done better.

Unread 27-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Tiberian

It was working so well in the first half, to the extent that Utd could have 3/4 goals. Perhaps Fergie was hoping that they would get over the shock of the Chelsea equalizer and refind that form.

However Carrick and Scholes as a combination has always been defensively flawed, they can control a game with passing, but if that is not working they can be overpowered.

Unread 27-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Was surprised we stuck with a 4 for so long after Chelsea changed their team and got on top of us in that 2nd half. Had we moved Hargo inside earlier I think we'd have done better.
I agree, but still don't think Rooney was fully fit, not to run the right side of the pitch for long anyway.

I think there was quite a lot of sentiment involved in the team selection. Sentiment's the wrong word, but Ferguson wanted the players who most deserved their place on the pitch to have as long as possible to make their mark. Scholes for Giggs was almost certainly pre-planned, I would guess. Could be way off the mark, but it crossed my mind before the game and nothing much happened to make me think differently.
Closed Thread