United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-05-2008, 06:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
you can see it in the way he struts around the pitch like he's the %@#$&!s, with the moronic cockney @#%&!s singing his name, but in reality he's done nothing at all in his career so far and has, in fact, been pure shite for most of his time at West Ham.
Ever thought of a career as a pundit?

Unread 25-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Youtubeinho?

How old is he, where is he playing now, how big is he?
20, Napoli & about 6'1 or 6'2

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
20, Napoli & about 6'1 or 6'2
Nice, looks a good prospect, get him signed!

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Could be right S/Side. Be interesting to see where Veloso ends up.

Perhaps reading too much into it but going off his interview today it seems Utd may try and sign a tall striker. I think that would be the right thing if we can't sign a player like Benzema. If Utd can add another attacking midfielder with pace then a tall(ish) striker who can hold the ball up/link the play in certain games - especially away from home - would be ideal.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...609381,00.html

That Hamsik is a good player, he was at Brescia before Napoli right?

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:20 PM
dunk

Huntelaar or Benzema
Hamsik or Ramsey (or another attacking midfielder)
An ambidextrous fullback.

Everyone happy?

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...609381,00.html

That Hamsik is a good player, he was at Brescia before Napoli right?
he was, signed for them last summer for about £4m, talking about £15m to get him now. Read somewhere that Juve are desperate to buy him.

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Part 36 Offer

Benzema has already said that he doesn't want to come here.

Huntelaar is more realistic; he'll want Champions League football, too.

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Can play all across Midfield and has goals in him. Has anyone seen much of him?
I've seen a fair bit of him with Napoli. They usually play a 3-5-2 system, and Hamsik can play in any of the central midfield positions, as you say. Typically though he'll be deployed as the foremost central midfielder, with Gargano and Blasi covering behind him, which allows him to get forward to support the forwards and to get into goalscoring positions. This is undoubtedly his preferred position. In terms of his playing style, he reminds me a quite lot of Pavel Nedved (perhaps not a coincidence, as I believe Nedved is the player that he has modelled himself on.)

Technically, he's a very well rounded player, with excellent vision (he usually has a clear view of what he wants to do with the ball as soon as he receives it and generally plays with an emphasis on creating chances rather than purely maintaining possession), who arrives well into positions in and around the box and finishes capably when he gets there (I think you can reliably expect him to chip in with 7-10 goals a season), possesses good mental and physical speed (which makes him particularly dangerous on counter-attacks), the capability to play with both feet, and an excellent work rate when the ball is lost.

I think his biggest weakness is his decision making with the ball, though you'd hope that this is something that will improve with time. He's also perhaps a bit lightweight physically for playing in the middle in a league like England, but again this is something that can probably be worked on.

Unread 25-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Huntelaar or Benzema
Hamsik or Ramsey (or another attacking midfielder)

Everyone happy?
no

we need another fast, skilful two-footed attacking wide man, someone like...ooh let me see now, Jose Sosa maybe

perked up when i saw mention of 3-5-2 above!

Hargreaves and Evra could be ideal in said formation, and by all accounts Alves too

Unread 25-05-2008, 08:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
no

we need another fast, skilful two-footed attacking wide man, someone like...ooh let me see now, Jose Sosa maybe

perked up when i saw mention of 3-5-2 above!

Hargreaves and Evra could be ideal in said formation, and by all accounts Alves too
We'll never see 3-5-2 while Fergie is in charge. I'm not a fan of it myself, either.

As for another wide man, you might be right.

The number of imports worries me, not a single English candidate for any of the vacancies, certainly not Dean Ashton either.

Unread 25-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I've seen a fair bit of him with Napoli. They usually play a 3-5-2 system, and Hamsik can play in any of the central midfield positions, as you say. Typically though he'll be deployed as the foremost central midfielder, with Gargano and Blasi covering behind him, which allows him to get forward to support the forwards and to get into goalscoring positions. This is undoubtedly his preferred position. In terms of his playing style, he reminds me a quite lot of Pavel Nedved (perhaps not a coincidence, as I believe Nedved is the player that he has modelled himself on.)

Technically, he's a very well rounded player, with excellent vision (he usually has a clear view of what he wants to do with the ball as soon as he receives it and generally plays with an emphasis on creating chances rather than purely maintaining possession), who arrives well into positions in and around the box and finishes capably when he gets there (I think you can reliably expect him to chip in with 7-10 goals a season), possesses good mental and physical speed (which makes him particularly dangerous on counter-attacks), the capability to play with both feet, and an excellent work rate when the ball is lost.

I think his biggest weakness is his decision making with the ball, though you'd hope that this is something that will improve with time. He's also perhaps a bit lightweight physically for playing in the middle in a league like England, but again this is something that can probably be worked on.
cheers, he does look a bit light at the moment.

Can't wait for the day you spot the new Robbo or Keane!

Unread 25-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
The number of imports worries me, not a single English candidate for any of the vacancies, certainly not Dean Ashton either.
We've already got all the best English players, of the ones we don't have I can't think of one who is better than the player who plays in their position. Joe Cole on the left of midfield arguably, but he's been stained with Chelsea @#%&!ishness - so he can £#%&! off.

A striker would make the biggest difference to the team at present, it's hard to believe what we've won with just Rooney and Tevez to call on. Adding another 20+ striker would improve us immensely.

We should go flat out for Benzema, I don't care what he says (or is supposed to have said), surely he couldn't turn down the chance to play in this team?

Unread 25-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
We've already got all the best English players, of the ones we don't have I can't think of one who is better than the player who plays in their position. Joe Cole on the left of midfield arguably, but he's been stained with Chelsea @#%&!ishness - so he can £#%&! off.

A striker would make the biggest difference to the team at present, it's hard to believe what we've won with just Rooney and Tevez to call on. Adding another 20+ striker would improve us immensely.

We should go flat out for Benzema, I don't care what he says (or is supposed to have said), surely he couldn't turn down the chance to play in this team?
and Ronaldo

Unread 25-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:

just don't see where were going to get that kind of money from to buy Benzema, probably have to pay several million out this summer for players we've brought previously for winning the CL.

Unread 25-05-2008, 10:00 PM
dunk

Quote:

I know, I meant it was sad that there are no Englishmen anywhere, that we could even consider for United. Or Irish, Scottish or Welsh, for that matter.

Unread 25-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Crumps

Quote:

Everyone happy?
Why on earth would a fullback need to be adept in water as well as on land? Those wet nights in Norwich aren't that £#%&!ing wet.

Unread 25-05-2008, 10:05 PM
S/Side.Red

We're doing alright for English players at the moment, though. We started the Champions League final with six English internationals, while there's Foster and Welbeck looking to make an impression on the first team next season, as well as Neville to come back.

I don't think it's a problem just yet. I'm sure when the next big thing comes through from England we'll be at the head of the queue.

Unread 25-05-2008, 10:08 PM
rebelcountyred

instead of the usual suspects i'm going for
keyser sose

Unread 25-05-2008, 10:12 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Why on earth would a fullback need to be adept in water as well as on land? Those wet nights in Norwich aren't that £#%&!ing wet.

Unread 25-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
just don't see where were going to get that kind of money from to buy Benzema, probably have to pay several million out this summer for players we've brought previously for winning the CL.
money is available - United could easily afford to bring in someone like Benzema should all parties be suitably interested

as for the clauses you're on about, winning the Cup pays for them many times over - merchandising, sponsorship, increased global TV revenues etc. Plus the small matter of the prize money and the showpiece events in Monaco and Tokyo.
Closed Thread