United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
El Calafate

Angry Rossi - World Class?

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=577198

Inter Milan want to pair Giuseppe Rossi up-front with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and could make a summer bid for the Villarreal star in the summer, according to the Corriere dello Sport.

The 21-year-old only signed for Villarreal last summer from Manchester United, however he has proved a massive hit in La Liga, and has already scored 10 goals this season.

Rossi has also been impressing for the Italy Under-21 national team, and he scored in Tuesday night’s 2-1 win over European Champions Holland.

This drew praise from Azzurrini boss Pierluigi Casiraghi, who described Rossi as “world-class” after the game.

Inter are said to be very impressed with what they have seen from Rossi and would like to partner him with Zlatan Ibrahimovic at San Siro next season.

The Nerazzurri currently have five top-class senior forwards at the club, however it is looking likely that out of these Hernan Crespo and Adriano will be moved on, while Julio Cruz is set to turn 34 and may not be able to play as many games.

Despite the emergence of teenage sensation Mario Balotelli, Inter are looking to snap up another forward, and specifically an Italian one.

President Massimo Moratti is prepared to spend up to €14m for Rossi, who has also enjoyed loan spells at Parma and Newcastle Utd.

Rossi himself has opened up the possibility of a return to Italy, but has insisted that he is happy at Villarreal.

"In Spain I am happy, but it would be great to return to Italy for a big club," he stated.

nft.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM
dodger

I've still to hear a proper justfication for selling him. Apart from us beng skint of course.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Rhodzy

Spot on.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I've still to heard a proper justfication for selling him. Apart from us beng skint of course.
He wanted 1st team football and didn't want to sit on the bench?

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Rossi himself has opened up the possibility of a return to Italy, but has insisted that he is happy at Villarreal.

"In Spain I am happy, but it would be great to return to Italy for a big club," he stated.

nft.
Do you think the Villareal supporters are all on his case about him wanting to leave now?

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I've still to heard a proper justfication for selling him. Apart from us beng skint of course.

Mate, we didn't own his soul. He didn't want to wait for his chance at United, and left. Simple as that.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Mate, we didn't own his soul. He didn't want to wait for his chance at United, and left. Simple as that.
Are you certain of that? I thought we were keen to sell. I know he wanted a chance but he could have been given assurances of some games. He'd have got them too..and plenty more in the next few months I reckon.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
keano's love

why should he have waited for his chance? he deserved to get his chance long time back. fergie never gave one. it was a disgrace that £#%&!ers and shite like richardson, fletcher, saha and even dong got ahead of him.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
it was a disgrace that £#%&!ers and shite like richardson, fletcher, saha and even dong got ahead of him.
Can't really argue with that.

I think we could really do with him in the next couple of months

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
why should he have waited for his chance? he deserved to get his chance long time back. fergie never gave one. it was a disgrace that £#%&!ers and shite like richardson, fletcher, saha and even dong got ahead of him.
Because Fletcher has never done anything, whatsoever, to warrant a place in the squad? That's a load of rubbish tbh. I'm not his biggest fan but he has contributed, the same goes for Saha.

How many times has Dong actually played for the first team?

The lad isn't good enough to start for Utd, isn't better than Tevez or Rooney, so he'd still have been sitting on the bench. Also, I'm not that keen on the idea of having three 'small' strikers in Utd's squad. We need different options, what Rossi brings to a side is already covered by the other two.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Are you certain of that? I thought we were keen to sell. I know he wanted a chance but he could have been given assurances of some games. He'd have got them too..and plenty more in the next few months I reckon.
From interviews I've read with Rossi and Ferguson, it seems the boss was eager for him to stay, but couldn't guarantee him first team football. Villarreal could, he said he wanted to move and was allowed too.

It's a shame because after our early season injuries and suspensions, he could have got a real run in the 1st team. But that's life. In the end, it worked out well enough for all parties.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
From interviews I've read with Rossi and Ferguson, it seems the boss was eager for him to stay, but couldn't guarantee him first team football. Villarreal could, he said he wanted to move and was allowed too.
That's pretty much it tbh.

keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Because Fletcher has never done anything, whatsoever, to warrant a place in the squad? That's a load of rubbish tbh. I'm not his biggest fan but he has contributed, the same goes for Saha.
he had. 1 good game in a full season. And thats for almost 4 years now.

24hr Leavesey

Quote:
It turns out that he would have got plenty of games, I agree. Couldn't have made guarentees at the time, however likely I guess.

And I think any club in a situation where they have a talented player that doesn't quite fit in yet for whatever reason, are willing to sell. It's a perfect situation for clubs tbh.

Kinda like Woodgate to Spurs, in a way. Boro didn't need him with Wheater coming through - decent fee involved - made sense all around to sell.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
he had. 1 good game in a full season. And thats for almost 4 years now.
If you keep posting/saying that it won't make it true.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
programmes?

Quote:
Maybe because SoulGlo and Fletcher are not strikers?

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Yes, because Rossi can play in central midfield and on the wing. Well done.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
The Watcher

Rossi did get games in the CC and a couple of run outs as a sub for the 1st team. As much as I wanted him too, he made little impression in those games. Of course, it's unfair to judge a player on so few games, but it's up to the individual to make an impression in whatever chance they get - especially with the options already at the managers disposal in that particular position. He didn't.

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Qwertyuiop

Rossi would have been great for United if we didnt have Rooney or Tevez, but we do so there was no point in keeping him. The real failure was in not bringing in someone in place of Saha.

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
marlo stansfield

there is a myth that rossi didnt get any games or wasnt given the chance.
i cant understand it.

he got a few chances for united and didnt look ready and then went to newcastle where he didnt get in the team. he is doing well but lets not use that criticise the club because we have rooney and tevez at the moment and a young wellbeck who is more what we need.

rossi also wouldnt like to see tevez come into the team and be ahead of him in the pecking order when really that should be the case because tevez is alot better than him.
Closed Thread