United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-07-2020, 04:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I disagree - I think the vast majority of professional footballers love the game.

Otherwise they wouldn't have already made all the sacrifices they have made just to get into contention for a place in a team.

There will always be a few lazy £#%&!s like Bale, but there are plenty more like Rooney who will drop down the ladder just to keep playing.
There was that Assou-Ekottu from Spurs who basically admitted he hated it but knew it was the best way to make money. I imagine there’s loads like that. There’ll also be a fair few who loved it and then became disillusioned and just kept going for the pay check, Andre Schurrle for instance. Seems utterly mental to those of us that would’ve given anything to play professional football, but there you go.

Unread 21-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Sapien

Grass is always greener

Unread 21-07-2020, 04:43 PM
suedeshoes

Les Sealey said he never liked it. He just recognised it was just something he was very good at and a way to make a good living.

Unread 21-07-2020, 05:38 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
There was that Assou-Ekottu from Spurs who basically admitted he hated it but knew it was the best way to make money. I imagine there’s loads like that. There’ll also be a fair few who loved it and then became disillusioned and just kept going for the pay check, Andre Schurrle for instance. Seems utterly mental to those of us that would’ve given anything to play professional football, but there you go.
Can't claim to know many pro footballers, but had a few mates who turned pro at rugby league after playing Union, they said it's very different from running about with your mates on a Saturday afternoon. If 10,000 people paying £10 a throw to watch think you are crap, they let you know, and that was before social media came along too. For all the money in football now, you probably need to develop a thick skin.

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:09 PM
goldfinger II

Andre Agassi hated playing tennis. Steffi Graf too, apparently.

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
Why did he marry her then?

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I disagree - I think the vast majority of professional footballers love the game.

Otherwise they wouldn't have already made all the sacrifices they have made just to get into contention for a place in a team.

There will always be a few lazy £#%&!s like Bale, but there are plenty more like Rooney who will drop down the ladder just to keep playing.
There is the game itself then there is the rest of the shit you have to deal with from fans, social media, crooked owners etc. Hard not to become disillusioned when you are an injury or change of manager away from having to uproot your family at the drop of a hat.

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:20 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
I doubt in most cases it’s that they hate the sport

Nearly all professionals in a particular sport get to that position because they loved the sport when they were growing up however the grind of elite level competition in that sport and everything that goes with it wears away that love and resentment for the sport takes its place

Generally stuff you do for a living isn’t much fun even if it was as a kid
Playing football with your mates and playing football for money are very different things

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I doubt in most cases it’s that they hate the sport

Nearly all professionals in a particular sport get to that position because they loved the sport when they were growing up however the grind of elite level competition in that sport and everything that goes with it wears away that love and resentment for the sport takes its place

Generally stuff you do for a living isn’t much fun even if it was as a kid
Playing football with your mates and playing football for money are very different things
I'd go with that. I'm sure most players start off doing all they can to be the best they can be which involves ambition and some delusions too. But after a few years you find your level and don't have to over-exert yourself to stay there. For people like us football is an escapism but for them it's their day to day living so wouldn't surprise me if many players don't even bother to watch games.

Unread 21-07-2020, 06:57 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I don’t know how you chess players stick it out over the years. Once you realise your limitations, and knowing there are 5 yr old Chinese kids that can crush you...

Maybe it’s easier for a footballer who is given license to be creative. Otherwise I could see it becoming a chore.
There have been a few world class chess players who have never really liked the game (arguably including Capablanca, one of the greatest ever)

But its rare.

Never mind kids, good (not even the best) computers can now crush the strongest humans like a bug. If that doesn't put us off it, nothing will.

Unread 21-07-2020, 09:41 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
remember football is just a £#%&!ing job. Just because you are great at it does not mean you have to love it.

Take the £#%&!ing money and run. Clubs dont give a £#%&! about players and players dont give a £#%&! about clubs. It's all about the money.

i love the fact bale does whatever the £#%&! he wants.
Come on.

I don’t think 11 year old kids get up at the crack of dawn on a Sunday and get together with their mates to do some accounting.

Unread 21-07-2020, 09:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Come on.

I don’t think 11 year old kids get up at the crack of dawn on a Sunday and get together with their mates to do some accounting.
What do you think Math Club is?

Unread 21-07-2020, 09:48 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
What do you think Math Club is?
S.

Unread 21-07-2020, 09:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
S.
Was using American vernacular for effect..

Unread 21-07-2020, 09:50 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
S.
Yang gang pal ?

Unread 21-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Yang gang pal ?
Least I could do for him and his miserable but fit wife, my little one actively tortures his kid.

Unread 21-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Least I could do for him and his miserable but fit wife, my little one actively tortures his kid.
good to hear pal...

Unread 22-07-2020, 03:21 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Unread 22-07-2020, 08:18 AM
believe

Can't believe he's been sitting on his arse for eight years on 800k a week.

Unread 22-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

a million quid a week for doing nothing for 10 years though
Closed Thread