United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Sloane

Default Super Darren

Fletcher on United without Ronaldo

"Nothing has changed. It is still pretty much the same bunch of players. We feel we are the same team. We won the league as a team and we got to the Champions League final as a team and won the World Club Cup as a team. Yes, we have lost a top class player in Cristiano but as much as he gave to us as a fantastic player, we gave a lot to him. Players sacrificed themselves for him and he appreciated that. Maybe now we will become a lot more solid and mostly be 4-4-2. We have players to adapt. United will be the same old United still."

Fletcher on missing CL Final

"A lot of people said I should have just let Cesc Fabregas score but that is not in my nature. From the first minute to the last, whether it is naive or what, that is the way I play my football. It was my job to watch his run and stop him scoring. I felt I did that. It's in the past and now I have to look at this season and try and get myself to another Champions League final. All the players are desperate to get there after the defeat against Barcelona. I want to get there and play in one

Fletcher on his attitude

"I always go out on the pitch thinking I have to perform to stay in the team the next week. That is the attitude I had last season and it will be my attitude again this season. If you start slipping up, or resting on your laurels, you will be straight out. Last year through injury and suspension, I began in the team and the manager stuck with me. I like to think my performances kept me in. In terms of consistency and level of performance it was my best and I gained that from playing regularly. In previous seasons I was in for a game and then out for a couple. Even though I felt I was playing well I wasn't getting that match sharpness and continuity. Every season is a new challenge. We have some great players. But I give 100 per cent every match and I am willing to sacrifice myself for the greater good of the team. I am looking to push on now, keep going and to win a lot more things. I am a quiet family orientated person and when I finish training I like to go home and prepare for my next game. Football is my life and I do everything I can to be a better player and a better professional."

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
armchair

I think if we get to play them again with Dazza he's gong to put in a performance that'll rival Keane's in Turin

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think if we get to play them again with Dazza he's gong to put in a performance that'll rival Keane's in Turin
Me too

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
wonky no

Quote:
i agree and to be fair i think he has all keanes attributes. with the right midfield partner (gibbo) i think he'll feel more comfortable going forward and the goals will start to tally. To be honest he is the closest thing to keane and robson we've had since they left, plus Fletch has a better attitude and wont get suspensions through personal agendas.

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Throw

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Without the goal.

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Without the goal.
most probably but you never know.

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
most probably but you never know.
He's actually about our biggest goal threat from central midfield currently.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
wonky no

Quote:
He's actually about our biggest goal threat from central midfield currently.
Aye and he's the bravest at going forward. you never see anderson or carrick in the oppo area. Gibson is the only other midfielder (hargo apart) capable of scoring goals from midfield consistently for the next 2/3 seasons.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
Aye and he's the bravest at going forward. you never see anderson or carrick in the oppo area. Gibson is the only other midfielder (hargo apart) capable of scoring goals from midfield consistently for the next 2/3 seasons.
That really frustrates me about Carrick, he has a cracking shot on him from distance and he's a big lad with two good feet, if he'd commit to getting forward I'm sure he'd get goals. Not having a go, I think he's an excellent player in terrible form, I just think he could really add that to his game with a bit more belief.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
gibson has improved a lot, and has probably looked better than we all ever thought he would. but hes not exactly proved that he can be a permanent player in united first team. hes started one game in the league

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM
History

Carrick has a world class finish on him too. Doesnt half know how to find the corner of the net.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
gibson has improved a lot, and has probably looked better than we all ever thought he would. but hes not exactly proved that he can be a permanent player in united first team. hes started one game in the league
True, he does look a better player than the lethargic lump he was a coupla years ago though and he can certainly hit a ball.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Carrick has a world class finish on him too. Doesnt half know how to find the corner of the net.
Just wish he'd get in the final 3rd more so he could show it.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
wonky no

Quote:
That really frustrates me about Carrick, he has a cracking shot on him from distance and he's a big lad with two good feet, if he'd commit to getting forward I'm sure he'd get goals. Not having a go, I think he's an excellent player in terrible form, I just think he could really add that to his game with a bit more belief.
totally agree. i suppose it's easy from our point of view. it's obvious fergal has ear marked carrick as our play maker which i suppose puts a bit of pressure on him not to waste possession and use the ball wisely. Like you say though, there comes a time where a shot is just as important.

A sighter early on in a game or some efforts late on when we're 2 up would be nice.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
borsuk

Quote:
i don't think so tbh. he has never been prolific at any of his clubs (6 goals in 136 appearances for wham, 2 in 64 for spurs, 9 in 94 for united, 0 in 15 for england) so i don't see any reason to think he'll ever score many.

having said that, the dazzler has only got 10 in 135 for united (4 in 43 for scotchland). the only real goal threat we have from central midfield is giggs (103 in 586) atm, maybe scholes (98 in 418) at a pinch. gibson has 1 in 4. anderson, er, never mind. hargreaves, btw, has 2 in 25.

wonky's going well ott with gibson but i think he's shown a great attitude over the last year. real progress there, certainly must be in with a chance of becoming a decent squad player at least. i'd certainly have him in the side ahead of anderson on current form.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i don't think so tbh. he has never been prolific at any of his clubs (6 goals in 136 appearances for wham, 2 in 64 for spurs, 9 in 94 for united, 0 in 15 for england) so i don't see any reason to think he'll ever score many.

having said that, the dazzler has only got 10 in 135 for united (4 in 43 for scotchland). the only real goal threat we have from central midfield is giggs (103 in 586) atm, maybe scholes (98 in 418) at a pinch. gibson has 1 in 4. anderson, er, never mind. hargreaves, btw, has 2 in 25.

wonky's going well ott with gibson but i think he's shown a great attitude over the last year. real progress there, certainly must be in with a chance of becoming a decent squad player at least. i'd certainly have him in the side ahead of anderson on current form.
Fair enough, stats don't back me up but I'm just going off what I see in him as a player. I may well be completely wrong and it aint looking like I'm gonna get proved right given how he currently plays.

Keane didn't average much better than 1 in 10 for United did he?

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Fair enough, stats don't back me up but I'm just going off what I see in him as a player. I may well be completely wrong and it aint looking like I'm gonna get proved right given how he currently plays.

33 in 323 you lazy £#%&!er. don't they have wikipedia in wales?

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
33 in 323 you lazy £#%&!er. don't they have wikipedia in wales?
Well without it I was fairly close, did check it just after I posted too. I'm in Salford btw.

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:

When he gets into a shooting position, Carrick looks like he always needs extra time to get the shot off - only a split second but it causes him to £#%&! it up a lot of the time. I'm not having a go at him etc...
Closed Thread