United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:52 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Naah, that's you mate. Bedders is in the background, white shirt and braces.
What? Why would I be dancing? That makes no sense.

The wit on this forum has gone to the dogs this summer :shakehead:

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:53 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:54 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:

ffs, it's a shootcrew knees-up. JC in the pink mini, yourself, Borsuk on his dragon...MJ Ramone is eyeing you suspiciously.

Keith sussed all this last week.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Barracuda

Titanic me senseless, this might have been covered and I'm £#%&!ed if I'm going back over this thread - but I'm wondering what Coach Neville is thinking right now?

I'm sure he was in one of the Sunday papers before the game, stating that 5 of England's players would walk into the Spanish side - and bizarrely enough player of the tournament Gerrard wasn't one of them

Hart, Lionheart, Lescott, Cole and Rooney

I had Nev down as being reasonably on the ball, but FFS it looks like he'd been taken in by the giddyness like the rest of the thick @#%&!s of the country?

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
ffs, it's a shootcrew knees-up. JC in the pink mini, yourself, Borsuk on his dragon...MJ Ramone is eyeing you suspiciously.

Shootcrew? Me? :shakehead:

Better than the getalong gang I suppose

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:07 PM
MUFC One Love

Am I the only one who thought Rooney was terrible the last couple of months of the season? Maybe the fact he is United's 'main' player doesn't help him and he trys too much. When we had Ronaldo and Tevez Rooney was very effective and was a big part of the team.

Or maybe he has gone downwards since then because we have lost both Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them Valencia and Owen?

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Am I the only one who thought Rooney was terrible the last couple of months of the season? Maybe the fact he is United's 'main' player doesn't help him and he trys too much. When we had Ronaldo and Tevez Rooney was very effective and was a big part of the team.

Or maybe he has gone downwards since then because we have lost both Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them Valencia and Owen?
He was carrying 'an injury' for the last 6 weeks, apparently. By and large he has been poor by his own standards for 2 seasons. He's still getting goals and providing the odd flash but nothing like he was. Whether that is down to him or the fact he is now surrounded by players who don't support him sufficiently I wouldn't like to say...

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:10 PM
bobbledinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

When he drops deep to get the ball he was a tendency to a) ping it to Valencia b) lose possession. Sometimes he dilly-dallys with the ball and when opposition players get round him he doesn't seem to have any ideas of what to do. When he tries to play himself into space he almost always loses possession.

Think it's more to do with the position he's asked to play. Anyone thinking he'd make a decent midfielder is way off the mark imo.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:19 PM
borsuk

Quote:

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:22 PM
borsuk

Quote:
He was carrying 'an injury' for the last 6 weeks, apparently. By and large he has been poor by his own standards for 2 seasons. He's still getting goals and providing the odd flash but nothing like he was. Whether that is down to him or the fact he is now surrounded by players who don't support him sufficiently I wouldn't like to say...
that's a fair summary imo. he's at his best when he's playing a very simple, quick and direct game, not trying to be a playmaker or drop too deep all the time.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:39 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
that's a fair summary imo. he's at his best when he's playing a very simple, quick and direct game, not trying to be a playmaker or drop too deep all the time.
Yep. All of Rooney's better attributes are to do with his instinct, dynamism and power. I don't get why people think he's better in 'the hole'. None of the things he does well, or the things he does badly point to that.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
Bit simplistic from Borsuk there. England's tactics were clearly never about controlling the midfield, so I don't think it's fair to call him diabolical on that basis.

He was there to get it forward and into the box as quickly as possible, and he did it fairly well against some mediocre teams in the group stage. Without his assists I'm not sure England would even have made it out the group. Against Italy, he actually played very well for all of 25 minutes, though England's game plan ultimately proved completely ineffective against a well organised defence and capable midfield.
That's a fair point, but Gerrard was still too wasteful with the ball, as he so often is. When you have little interest in controlling the midfield, which invites pressure, it's probably even more important that you're intelligent on the ball and the choice of pass is better. Gerrard constantly fails to relieve pressure on the team by quickly giving the ball back cheaply by attempting low percentage passes. His decision-making borders on stupid at times.

He was actually marginally better than I thought he would be and he's on another planet to Parker, who was shocking. Gerrard also has the excuse of being misused by Hodgson. Parker was just painfully out of his depth. Favourite moment of the tournament was when Pirlo made him run in a circle trying to get the ball and then just casually popped it off to the nearest team-mate. Embarrassing and symbolic of England's inadequacies.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:41 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Naah, that's you mate. Bedders is in the background, white shirt and braces.
Why am I there?

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Switching Off

May have been posted....

Gazetto today. Bit of an uproar

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Withers

Quote:
Rooney needs telling he is a number 9 who needs to lead the line. All this %@#$&!s about him dropping back and playing as a number 10 thinking he is a British Messi is a bit shit if the ball keeps bouncing off him.

He best season for us was upfront in the middle of a 3, hopefully the signing of Kagawa sees him going back to that

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:46 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Why am I there?
You were spotted there.

DEAL WITH IT.

Unread 30-06-2012, 06:01 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Mirror's so called footbal writer gave marks for England players for tournament. Carroll got 7, Wellbeck 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Martin Lipton. He gave Terry an 8 even while acknowledging he was out of position half the time. :shakehead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I wish the MUTV presenters were like that! £#%&!ing hell

What a stereotypical tabloid mess that Lipton @#%&! is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He follows me on twitter. We've had a couple of nice exchanges but I've never taken him seriously since seeing that the first time. It's really amazing how some of these people make a decent living writing about football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
chancers mate, the lot of them.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/foo...yers-uk-175565

Don't even know where to begin with that, jesus...

Unread 30-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/foo...yers-uk-175565

Don't even know where to begin with that, jesus...
That is an argument to be made, but if it was a straight footballing choice between Beckham and Giggs then it is an easy choice. Giggs may have had a poor season last year but he has still been contributing at a high level of football, is very fit and has never played in a major tournament so will be and hungry for the experience rather than seeing it as yet another opportunity for self promotion.

Beckham has wasted the last few years of his career in the US and his trips back to Milan were hardly exceptional performances. I remember him looking like an Arthritic for Milan against Utd a few years ago.

When he starts comparing Pirlo and Beckham you have to laugh. Beckham even at his peak was not a world class central midfielder. His worst performances at Madrid that led to him being dropped for a period were in a central role. He did not have the short passing game to control the play, was far too obsessed with the 60 yard pass. Yet another Journo judging a player by highlights.

Unread 30-06-2012, 06:14 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
That is an argument to be made, but if it was a straight footballing choice between Beckham and Giggs then it is an easy choice. Giggs may have had a poor season last year but he has still been contributing at a high level of football, is very fit and has never played in a major tournament so will be and hungry for the experience rather than seeing it as yet another opportunity for self promotion.

Beckham has wasted the last few years of his career in the US and his trips back to Milan were hardly exceptional performances. I remember him looking like an Arthritic for Milan against Utd a few years ago.
his passing was still better than any of our players
Closed Thread