Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Quite some memory you've got there, Denis
seems im not the only one to have remembered the incident

Although I can't remember the RI pic

Unread 25-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Was in the stretty for that Arsenal miss in 2003.....Absolutely fuming!

Up there with Ruud's penalty miss against the @#%&!s and then watching them lap it up.

@#%&!s!

FA Cup 2002 I think

Unread 25-07-2014, 07:45 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think now the people who would scoff at the notion that Fergie wasn't a full tactician or a coach get a better idea of what that meant. Big change for the players and its possibly the first time we've had such a thoroughly tactically attentive manager and coaching staff.

Love hearing Giggsy sound like he's getting an education. We've needed this so badly, having struggled to develop players in recent years.
I love how detailed Van Gaal is. The chances are if we went into a big away league game with this side we would be organised and wouldn't get tonked no matter what.

Unread 25-07-2014, 07:46 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I think now the people who would scoff at the notion that Fergie wasn't a full tactician or a coach get a better idea of what that meant. Big change for the players and its possibly the first time we've had such a thoroughly tactically attentive manager and coaching staff.

Love hearing Giggsy sound like he's getting an education. We've needed this so badly, having struggled to develop players in recent years.
I think he was. managers have reputations and images become gospel just like players do. fergie was a better tactician and coach than he was given credit for.....but his image will always be the 'famous hairdryer' as he came along in that era. because he doesmt write stuff down and stand looking studiously on the touchline doesnt mean hes not got that side of down.
you simply don't achieve what he did in this day and age if you're not a good coach. meanwhile, Mourinho brings on a striker to score, they do so and he's suddenly a genius

I think what van gaal underlines, as much as anything else, is that the club was becoming stale in later years and desperately needed some new ideas and new energy.

fergie was geared towards squeezing everything he could out of his final years to enhance his legacy ( I don't blame him) and became very pragmatic.

van gaal will bring fresh ideas and the prospects are there for all to see already. like everyone else, I've no idea how it will go, but it is at least exciting again and is exactly the kind of coach Manchester United should have.

Unread 25-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
FA Cup 2002 I think
Wasn't that the game that caused Fergie to kick that boot at Beckham?

Unread 25-07-2014, 07:59 AM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
Wasn't that the game that caused Fergie to kick that boot at Beckham?
Yep

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:00 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
FA Cup 2002 I think
2003. Fifth Round iirc.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:01 AM
puressence

Quote:

according to shorts hes done all the coaching last 5 years ferie just had alook up from his window to see how things were going

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:03 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I think he was. managers have reputations and images become gospel just like players do. fergie was a better tactician and coach than he was given credit for.....but his image will always be the 'famous hairdryer' as he came along in that era. because he doesmt write stuff down and stand looking studiously on the touchline doesnt mean hes not got that side of down.
you simply don't achieve what he did in this day and age if you're not a good coach. meanwhile, Mourinho brings on a striker to score, they do so and he's suddenly a genius

I think what van gaal underlines, as much as anything else, is that the club was becoming stale in later years and desperately needed some new ideas and new energy.

fergie was geared towards squeezing everything he could out of his final years to enhance his legacy ( I don't blame him) and became very pragmatic.

van gaal will bring fresh ideas and the prospects are there for all to see already. like everyone else, I've no idea how it will go, but it is at least exciting again and is exactly the kind of coach Manchester United should have.
Fergie wasn't a coach. He stopped taking training while at Aberdeen after one of his staff told him to leave them to it Meulensteen ran everything, just as Queiroz did before him. Fergie kept a watching brief, often simply from his office, but he delegated completely when it came to training planning and taking the sessions. Which is fine - that's why you have coaches.

That's clearly completely different to van Gaal. I'm not saying Fergie was clueless in terms of tactics, of course, but you could see how much more organised, tactically fluid and adaptable we were when he had Queiroz next to him. It wasn't his strength.

Pretty much every single other aspect of management was

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
2003. Fifth Round iirc.

Oh aye... Boot gate

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Fergie wasn't a coach. He stopped taking training while at Aberdeen after one of his staff told him to leave them to it Meulensteen ran everything, just as Queiroz did before him. Fergie kept a watching brief, often simply from his office, but he delegated completely when it came to training planning and taking the sessions. Which is fine - that's why you have coaches.

That's clearly completely different to van Gaal. I'm not saying Fergie was clueless in terms of tactics, of course, but you could see how much more organised, tactically fluid and adaptable we were when he had Queiroz next to him. It wasn't his strength.

Aye Gaz said it was quiroz who lined then up against Barca in 08 and got then sorted positionally .

Someone else said that Rene and Mickey P did all the training in recent years and it was a bit basic.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Stickman

Quote:
FA Cup 2002 I think
January/February 03

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:08 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

fair enough, he wasn't hands on, no. It would all go through him though. Or at least it should! :

I was referring a little more to tactics, but I do agree in essence that van gaal is different to Fergie in terms of coaching. that side of Fergie is often underplayed though. The tactics, the attention to detail. It wasn't his strongest side, but it was better than its made out to be.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
fair enough, he wasn't hands on, no. It would all go through him though. Or at least it should! :

I was referring a little more to tactics, but I do agree in essence that van gaal is different to Fergie in terms of coaching. that side of Fergie is often underplayed though. The tactics, the attention to detail. It wasn't his strongest side, but it was better than its made out to be.
Yeah, I'm sure. But van Gaal is obviously going to an extreme in that regard. He'll stand over them and notice every little thing in training.

Like how Valencia doesn't know how to kick a football properly.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:16 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure. But van Gaal is obviously going to an extreme in that regard. He'll stand over them and notice every little thing in training.

Like how Valencia doesn't know how to kick a football properly.
You sound surprised?

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:19 AM
MUFC One Love

I can't wait to see the big man strutting around Albert Square in May shouting Manchester down the mic like this...

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
You sound surprised?
Was just a surreal video to watch. Arrives at Manchester United and has to tell a 29yo international captain the basics of shooting

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:24 AM
MUFC One Love

I'm actually really looking forward to tomorrow's game.

better than watching us beat a load of bangkok ladyboys or whatever.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:36 AM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
according to shorts hes done all the coaching last 5 years ferie just had alook up from his window to see how things were going
What has Fergie ever done for us.....

13 Championships....

Yeah well of course the 13 Titles...

2 European Cups...

Well yeah the European cups, that goes with out saying, but what has Fergie ever done for us...

Put Liverpool back were they belong

Well Yeah etc etc etc

Splitter.

Fergie has done 10000 more for United than you or any of your fore bearers any of your decedents will ever do.

Unread 25-07-2014, 08:44 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
seems im not the only one to have remembered the incident

Although I can't remember the RI pic
[SIZE="1"]Think he was being sarcastic...
Closed Thread