pallister
evra
beckham
ince
carrick
sharpe
hughes
cantona
and here is a team from those you both left out.

De Gea

Rafael
Rio
Ronny Johnson
P Neville

Nani
Veron
Butt
Blomquist

Sheringham
RVP

No wum, that is a good team.

Unread 19-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Throughout, or during the last season? I certainly remember a lot of balls-ups in the treble season.
Throughout, though the treble season was really poor from him, especially early on. Imagine the stick De Gea would have taken for that goal away to Bayern, horrific piece of play. He was clearly on the wane, his reactions were inferior to his best years and he was starting to look very flatfooted. Look at the 3-3 draw at the Nou Camp and the final, the 2 free kicks he just watched, commentators assumed they were deflected.

His match winning ability made up for the errors but I think the argument between he and VDS is closer than might be thought. VDS certainly was far superior with the ball at feet and had that steady organizational ability going for him.

Unread 19-10-2013, 01:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Tbh I feel sick I missed ole out.
He would HAVE to be on the bench - best "supersub" in United's history? Probably

Unread 19-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He would HAVE to be on the bench - best "supersub" in United's history? Probably
No 'probably', pal. He was

Unread 19-10-2013, 02:06 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
and here is a team from those you both left out.

De Gea

Rafael
Rio
Ronny Johnson
P Neville

Nani
Veron
Butt
Blomquist

Sheringham
RVP

No wum, that is a good team.
Three completely different starting XI's now - and Rooney in none of them. Don't let MJ see this, FFS

Unread 19-10-2013, 02:28 PM
den

Your all wrong..if Liverpool football club had picked their best premier lge 11, it would piss all over the mancs best ...despite the fact we've never won a premier lge la, if the FA/refs wernt so currupt/bent in favour of manure, we'd be on 30 lges right now ..
#jft96 #ynwa #lfcfamily ...

Unread 19-10-2013, 02:50 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by moransbleedinghead
it's a bit defensive, everyone playing in our own half

Irwin in for evra, ruud for the scouse @#%&!,
correct.

Unread 19-10-2013, 03:05 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Alan Smith.... all-time greatest Fergie XI

drop cantona for dublin

Unread 19-10-2013, 03:20 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Alan Smith.... all-time greatest Fergie XI

Ronaldo in for Giggs, Beckham in for Ronaldo and you have pretty much the perfect midfield.

Unread 19-10-2013, 04:14 PM
fix up look SHARPE

4th iteration

barthez

parker
brown
o'shea
silvestre

solskjaer
mcclair
fletcher
rooney

yorke
cole

Unread 19-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid napper
Swap ruud for Rooney.
And irwin for evra.

Unread 19-10-2013, 09:06 PM
General Woundwort

Irwin for Evra
Ruud for Rooney
Robson for Scholes

Almost a coin toss between Robbo and Scholes. The other two are nowhere near, and not because I dislike either Rooney or Evra.

Unread 22-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Pace? I realise he'd slowed down a lot by the treble season (when he was 33) which seemed to result in him standing off a lot and allowing a lot of space down our left side, but I see him getting skinned by Shearer in the 5-0 and I'm thinking he wasn't the quickest.
How many times has Evra been rinsed by that Tottenham midget?

Quote:
Nah I'm just saying that people have watched him become 'arguably' the best left-back in the world at United, so it's a reasonable inclusion. Was really in response to the idea that Irwin was comfortably better.

It's tough to compare them. As Gary Neville says, playing full-back got a lot more complicated defensively over the last ten years. Plus the league was much weaker in the '90s and undoubtedly there wasn't close to the same level of coverage and analysis of every single goal.

But I watch videos of United in Irwin's day and I don't buy this idea that he was outstanding defensively.
And defensive technique has improved immensely since George Best was tearing them to pieces. Best would be shit in the modern game :shakehead:

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:00 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
How many times has Evra been rinsed by that Tottenham midget?
Nobody says Evra is a great defender, though. I was replying to a post that said Irwin 'had it all'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
And defensive technique has improved immensely since George Best was tearing them to pieces. Best would be shit in the modern game :shakehead:
I didn't say Irwin would be shit in the modern game. But playing full-back 10-15 years ago in England was a lot more straightforward than it is now. Neville himself raised this point in defending modern full-backs against criticism. Said back in his day you only had to worry about the opposing winger, who usually hugged the touchline, rather than players drifting all over the place, swapping sides etc.

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:15 AM
n48

Indulge me if you will...
Taibi
Prunier
Djemba Djemba
Kleberson
Miller
Gill
Obertan
Chadwick
Bellion
Bebe
Manucho

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:15 AM
The taste of...

Leslie for Rooney

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Throughout, though the treble season was really poor from him, especially early on. Imagine the stick De Gea would have taken for that goal away to Bayern, horrific piece of play. He was clearly on the wane, his reactions were inferior to his best years and he was starting to look very flatfooted. Look at the 3-3 draw at the Nou Camp and the final, the 2 free kicks he just watched, commentators assumed they were deflected.

His match winning ability made up for the errors but I think the argument between he and VDS is closer than might be thought. VDS certainly was far superior with the ball at feet and had that steady organizational ability going for him.
Love a good post from Tiberian. It's new levels of sage, informed sage if you will.

He reminds me of Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:48 AM
dodger

Evra over Irwin? Give over. :shakehead: I note from comments this is coming from people who didn't watch Irwin much. Believe it folks. Dennis was £#%&!ing awesome. Evra had a good spell, Dennis did that that, and more when you consider his superior goal threat, crossing and dead ball work, for nearly ten years.

I'd go Stam and Vidic at centre back. Rio, for all his merits, has let us down too often. I'd probably pick Pallister over Rio for the bench actually.

Ruud up front with Cantona.

Sorted.

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:54 AM
carlosartorial

Irwin was miles better than Evra. NQAT.

Evra is a better cheerleading nutcase however.

Unread 23-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Nah I'm just saying that people have watched him become 'arguably' the best left-back in the world at United, so it's a reasonable inclusion. Was really in response to the idea that Irwin was comfortably better.

It's tough to compare them. As Gary Neville says, playing full-back got a lot more complicated defensively over the last ten years. Plus the league was much weaker in the '90s and undoubtedly there wasn't close to the same level of coverage and analysis of every single goal.

But I watch videos of United in Irwin's day and I don't buy this idea that he was outstanding defensively.
Irwin

You might as well ask if George was as good as Luke Chadwick because the game has changed
Closed Thread