United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-03-2023, 10:10 PM
MUFC One Love

It was a shocker but we are 3rd, have won a cup and we are in 2 competitions still.

As long as they recover they will be fine. A trophy and top 4 would be a good season. Obviously the standards have gone up with how we've done this season but overall we would take it.

Unread 06-03-2023, 10:26 PM
Chorlton74

Even if it was 17-0 they are ending the season with a dvd and not much else. Certainly not getting any silverware.

Sure the result sucks hairy sweatballs, but we're in a better place now than what we were 12 months ago under Ralf.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:04 AM
Dr Stranger

Back in work today. Wish me luck.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:08 AM
believe

Can someone please acknowledge that Dr City lives in Liverpool ffs. Just “omg” or something.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:09 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Back in work today. Wish me luck.

OMG, you live in Liverpool, bruh?

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:11 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Can someone please acknowledge that Dr City lives in Liverpool ffs. Just “omg” or something.
Where do you live, Pal. Not sure it’s ever come up.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:30 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
Fully on side with Dr Paragraph here.

The new top red thing seems to be pretending not to be arsed about getting absolutely routed by our biggest rivals.

We've had a 4-1, 6-3, 4-0, 5-0 and 7-0 in little over 12 months against city and Liverpool. Snide brigade are out with their green smilies if anyone suggests that a worrying trend...
Call me an old fart/top red or whatever suits. Don’t give a suit about narrative or being in with the cool gang but shocked as much as anything, pissed off because I thought we’d turned a corner. Still, what do you do? Whinge and agonise all day and every day on a forum or look ahead and hope Erik is on track etc. it’s not just United, I suppose. Just don’t dwell on what is past and what you can’t control. Life is too short. Don’t expect anyone to jump up and say I’m right or give loads of green, it’s just my way of dealing with it. We’ve been through much worse than an extremely embarrassing defeat.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:40 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Where do you live, Pal. Not sure it’s ever come up.
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Call me an old fart/top red or whatever suits. Don’t give a suit about narrative or being in with the cool gang but shocked as much as anything, pissed off because I thought we’d turned a corner. Still, what do you do? Whinge and agonise all day and every day on a forum or look ahead and hope Erik is on track etc. it’s not just United, I suppose. Just don’t dwell on what is past and what you can’t control. Life is too short. Don’t expect anyone to jump up and say I’m right or give loads of green, it’s just my way of dealing with it. We’ve been through much worse than an extremely embarrassing defeat.
Yeah but you must be a "top red" because you can rationalise, have some perspective and move on after one bad result, rather than turbo post doom all day.

Quote:
Fully on side with Dr Paragraph here.

The new top red thing seems to be pretending not to be arsed about getting absolutely routed by our biggest rivals.

We've had a 4-1, 6-3, 4-0, 5-0 and 7-0 in little over 12 months against city and Liverpool. Snide brigade are out with their green smilies if anyone suggests that a worrying trend...
Oh Jesus, the trend watchers are back

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:47 AM
Ethers

Convenient that the Trend Crew just ignore the fact that we’ve also beaten both of those teams in the last 6 months.

“Outlier result, ignore, ignore”

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:52 AM
Dr Stranger

I think everyone on here agrees we’ve progressed. The big home wins against top sides are cited as part of that.

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:56 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Dubai

Yeah but you must be a "top red" because you can rationalise, have some perspective and move on after one bad result, rather than turbo post doom all day.

Oh Jesus, the trend watchers are back

Why do you keep opening this thread? Shouldn't you be focusing on real betis

Unread 07-03-2023, 07:58 AM
believe

Quote:
I think everyone on here agrees we’ve progressed. The big home wins against top sides are cited as part of that.
The concern is that we’ve progressed in the same we progress in Ole and Mourinho’s first seasons. It’s far too early imo to make any assessment of ten Hag or our progression, we’ll only really tell next season if we manage to build on it, something we’ve failed to do in the last three or four attempts.

Unread 07-03-2023, 08:13 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The concern is that we’ve progressed in the same we progress in Ole and Mourinho’s first seasons. It’s far too early imo to make any assessment of ten Hag or our progression, we’ll only really tell next season if we manage to build on it, something we’ve failed to do in the last three or four attempts.
We were far more sporadic under Ole. Relying on moments and individual quality. The ‘what do we do all week’ factor never really left.

Mourinho’s football felt effective for a while, but largely functional.

This feels a little different. There’s a clear way we play. The players are on board with it and that’s developing a consistency of performance and spirit I don’t think we’ve seen yet - which is what made Sunday all tje more shocking the way we folded.

I share a similar concern on a more individual level: some of these players who have seemingly turned a corner: rashford, shaw, Dalot need to do it for longer than 2/3 of a season.

Huge game Thursday. We have a chance to get this out of our system and prove it was an anomaly and not bad habits creeping in.

Unread 07-03-2023, 08:15 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:07 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Why do you keep opening this thread? Shouldn't you be focusing on real betis
No. I'll leave that to the manager and players.

Quote:
We were far more sporadic under Ole. Relying on moments and individual quality. The ‘what do we do all week’ factor never really left.

Mourinho’s football felt effective for a while, but largely functional.

This feels a little different. There’s a clear way we play. The players are on board with it and that’s developing a consistency of performance and spirit I don’t think we’ve seen yet - which is what made Sunday all tje more shocking the way we folded.

I share a similar concern on a more individual level: some of these players who have seemingly turned a corner: rashford, shaw, Dalot need to do it for longer than 2/3 of a season.

Huge game Thursday. We have a chance to get this out of our system and prove it was an anomaly and not bad habits creeping in.
Agree with this. The difference is clearly there. So much positivity about the club and we've packed some excellent football along the way at times. Having Casemiro and Martinez rather than Pogba and Maguire are a big part of that.

At the same time, Bellers right to be cautious. We saw what happened once we gave Ole the job Nothing is guaranteed.

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:16 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
No. I'll leave that to the manager and players.

Agree with this. The difference is clearly there. So much positivity about the club and we've packed some excellent football along the way at times. Having Casemiro and Martinez rather than Pogba and Maguire are a big part of that.

At the same time, Bellers right to be cautious. We saw what happened once we gave Ole the job Nothing is guaranteed.
I think it shows how good of a manager ETH is. We are punching above our weight a bit. Before he arrived 80% of fans would say AWB dalot Fred should have no part to play in our team.

He’s somehow managed to get them going . Fwiw I still don’t think they should be the first choice but that will not change till the summer.

He also has been playing without a CF all season. Rashford has been brilliant off the left but I don’t think he’s a proper central CF.

This season is a bonus. It’s all about making top 4 and then building on the foundations ETH is laying.

Before the start of the season I think most fans would have taken a top 4 and trophy.

We are still in two cup competitions that we can win. Hopefully we need a response on Thursday, put the weekend to bed. We also need the likes of Eriksen , martial to come back . Players have played a lot this season and the team needs rotating .

Every set back we have had with ETH we have so far had a response. We didn’t get that with previous managers so it’s why I’m a bit more optimistic. Nothing is guaranteed but full faith in ETH to sort it out .

Unread 07-03-2023, 11:07 AM
magic_cantona

Totally different to Ole this, NQAT. We'd scrape a win with Ole but look totally petrified every game. Nobody feared us and our players basically did what they wanted.

It's all different now (despite Sunday).

EtH has a plan and is respected by all.

Unread 07-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Dr Stranger

I’m not worried about the long-term under ETH. Sunday was more of a reality check for anyone harbouring aspirations of a title push (if anyone was actually serious). We’re still a way off and still only six months into undoing ten years of damage.

100% we’d have taken top four and a trophy. I had us at outsiders for top four. It’d be a huge disappointment to not make it now. That’s how far we’ve come.

I didn’t anticipate a trophy at all. We got a little lucky with who we faced, but United sides of recent years could have easily shit out of that final.

As awful as Sunday was, it hasn’t changed the season or the trajectory of where we’re going IMO.

Unread 07-03-2023, 11:11 AM
dinger

Quote:
I’m not worried about the long-term under ETH. Sunday was more of a reality check for anyone harbouring aspirations of a title push (if anyone was actually serious). We’re still a way off and still only six months into undoing ten years of damage.

100% we’d have taken top four and a trophy. I had us at outsiders for top four. It’d be a huge disappointment to not make it now. That’s how far we’ve come.

I didn’t anticipate a trophy at all. We got a little lucky with who we faced, but United sides of recent years could have easily shit out of that final.

As awful as Sunday was, it hasn’t changed the season or the trajectory of where we’re going IMO.
Good shout

Unread 07-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Dr Stranger

I’m really looking forward to Thursday too. I want to see a reaction and we’ve so much to play for.

Unlike previous recent drubbings where it’s been shite and you just want it the season to end.

Hope the players feel the same and can’t wait to get it out of their system. It’d be great to see a proper reset and a couple of convincing wins by this time next week.