United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Argentina

Default Keane not speaking to players

Surprised I didnt see it mentioned here.

Quote:
One of Roy Keane's Sunderland players has broken ranks to launch an extraordinary attack on the former Manchester United captain's management style.

Clarke claimed that Keane was undermining the confidence of his players by refusing to speak to them.

Tough times: Roy Keane
Clarke, who faces a battle to return to the game after he suffered heart failure on the pitch while on loan for Leicester City last August, has cast serious doubt on Keane's ability to become one a top coaches as Sunderland struggle for Premier League survival.

Reflecting on Keane's response to Clarke's dramatic collapse last year, the Republic of Ireland player said: "I spoke to him a couple of times at the club and he rang me when it happened which was nice of him, but we're not very pally so there's no real reason to speak to one another.

"I probably speak to him more than the players who train there every day even now. He's going around booting chairs and throwing things. He's never going to give you confidence, he doesn't talk to lads.

"If the lads at Man United couldn't reach the standards he wanted, and they're some of the best players in the world, then it's going to be a lot harder for the lads at Sunderland to reach them."

advertisement
Clarke's comments will only add to the pressure on Keane as he tries to avoid the drop in his first season as a top-flight manager.

Keane famously walked out of the Republic of Ireland's 2002 World Cup campaign in Japan, claiming manager Mick McCarthy's training regime did not meet his exacting demands. His final days at Old Trafford were marred by comments about his team-mates on the club's own television channel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sfnfro208.xml

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

According to someone who's not even at the club.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Barca '91

bloke with an agenda I would suggest but i dare say there is some truth in there

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Many would think the greatest influences on Keane's management style would be Clough or fergie but no. It's this fella:-

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

If he's going around kicking chairs and falling out with people I would imagine he has been very much influenced by Fergie and Clough.

The difference was they are/were naturally very good managers.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
elephantstone

swap the chairs for tea cups and the hairdryer for snarls and silence.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Spiffy

The hairdryer works a treat, if used sparingly in between the arm round the shoulder technique. Maybe this guy does have an axe to grind but I'd have expected the hairdrier to be Keane's default managerial style.

Chris Waddle struggled as a manager and I remember an interview with him saying that he was frustrated because his players couldn't do what he was teaching them because they simply weren't good enough. Keane wasn't famous for taking people under his wing and helping them settle and develop, may be he should get his no.2 to do that stuff if it doesn't come naturally to him.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
puressence

stoney whats the inside gossip at sunderland . come on keano must have told u

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Argentina

Saying he cant help players develop and settle...he took a team that were languishing 3rd from bottom and took them on to win that division. The players said he only 'lost it' in the changing rooms once.

Maybe he doesnt like the pressure, but Id say the story doesn't portray the true picture. He probably has been kicking chairs and doors in, but with due reason - and I doubt the due reason is the actual defeat. Maybe the manner of the defeat, people not carrying out his message or ignoring him.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Saying he cant help players develop and settle...he took a team that were languishing 3rd from bottom and took them on to win that division. The players said he only 'lost it' in the changing rooms once.

Maybe he doesnt like the pressure, but Id say the story doesn't portray the true picture. He probably has been kicking chairs and doors in, but with due reason - and I doubt the due reason is the actual defeat. Maybe the manner of the defeat, people not carrying out his message or ignoring him.
Not being funny but loads of managers have taken teams straight up from that division. Keegan, Dalglish, Royle, Dowie, McCarthy etc. How many of them do you rate? It doesn't mean that they can cut it at the highest level.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Qwertyuiop

I think he is lacking a good number two, and by that I mean a good assistant manager, not a turd.

His biggest failing appears to be his lack of knowledge in the transfer market - signing has beens, those who never never quite were and those who never quite will be. An experienced assistant with a knowledge of the game would have helped him immensely. For his sake I hope Quinn has deep pockets as if thats all he had, Keane has blown it.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Argentina

I think his biggest failing is his trust in shit defenders.
McShane is awful. I may be wrong and in his later days he becomes good, but at the moment he is turd and I think that's as much to do with him not having a more experienced or talented player to guide him, and dont say Higginbottom is that player, because he needs one aswell!

Having said that, he was cost 5 points in the last month by shit refereeing decisions.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
armchair

I think they'll be in it on the last day and will stay up. Quinn is as much too blame, if not more, for the transfers.

If anything I worry that Keane isn't being angry enough.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think they'll be in it on the last day and will stay up. Quinn is as much too blame, if not more, for the transfers.

If anything I worry that Keane isn't being angry enough.
If you look at the teams around them you'd think so. Will they finish above Derby? Yes. Fulham? Probably. Wigan? Yes. Birmingham? Probably. I can still see Bolton £#%&!ing it up as well, especially if Anelka goes.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I'd say Brum will stay up.

Derby, Funderland and hopefully, hopefully Middlesboro, but I doubt it.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Pete's Shoes

He has bought really badly I reckon. If you're a Sunderland fan it would piss you off to see Yorke and Cole in the team. I was up there boxin day and Yorke's just not got the legs for it anymore. It was sad to see. McShane is not good enough for the Premiership. One of those players who dives into tackles hoping the crowd will love him for it, rather like Alan Smith. They need 2 centre backs and 2 centre midfielders to stand a chance.

Unread 09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
puressence

anyone spending 5 mill on richardson wants a serious look at himself

Unread 09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
If you look at the teams around them you'd think so. Will they finish above Derby? Yes. Fulham? Probably. Wigan? Yes. Birmingham? Probably. I can still see Bolton £#%&!ing it up as well, especially if Anelka goes.
I thought that at the start of the season but Bolton have got rid of Lee, Wigan Hutchings, Jewell has made some good buys at Derby and that idiot Sanchez has gone from Fulham. I assume McCleish will get some money to spend too.I think Keane might be in trouble.

Unread 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
How do you work that one out?

Unread 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
How do you work that one out?
If Robbie Savage was Irish he'd be at a press conference at sunderland today.
Closed Thread