United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You should have seen him play then. If we needed someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and nick us a goal, he'd balloon the ball over an open goal every time. He could not be relied upon and it's no coincidence that things "clicked" when we £#%&!ed that #@&%! off.
Some of us were watching football before 92.

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Barca '91

Arg...on the basis that Rooney is one of the most naturally gifted footballers we've ever seen. FFS, I appreciate you have to harp on about his weak left foot but £#%&! me, are you a complete helmet?

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Quite. Some of us watched it post 92 and remember his vital contribution to the 93 title, which broke the dam.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
£12.6m was a bargain. Double it every decade? £25m in today's climate. I bet you wish Fergie could have spent that little and brought in a player to compliment a player we already have so well, winning the Champions League in the first year. Retaining the Premier League in his next two seasons.
Who said that we double prices every 10 years? We paid £28M in 2000 for Veron, how much would he have cost with your inflation?

Let's look at some other stats, we lost £10M in 3 years, we would imho have won the league anyway in those years as the rest of the team was so strong and the rest of the league was so weak. We'll never know but Yorke was not a popular signing and I believe with hindsight, we were right to not want him. I appreciate that I'm in the minority on here with this, makes a change.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca '91
Arg...on the basis that Rooney is one of the most naturally gifted footballers we've ever seen. FFS, I appreciate you have to harp on about his weak left foot but £#%&! me, are you a complete helmet?
I just dont buy into hype.
Above Hughes?
Above Solskjaer, Sheringham, Yorke and Cole

Quote:
I know. I did actually write out why I had put them in that order but thought it would give more scope for discussion if I didnt.
What I was thinking was not who had achieved the most, be it in medals or goals/games ratio but who embraced and fitted into the United way, aswel as adding another dimension to it.
That is why Cantona is top of the list. His individual skill, his influence in the team that year and his subsequent legacy.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Erm, I'm 34 and used to pay £1.60 at the Stretford End, long before 92. McClair was £#%&! before 92 and after 92. Maybe I'm being unfair, I'm comparing him to other United strikers, not other strikers at shit clubs.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Fountz

Cool There's only Six class strikers in the truest sense of the word..

Cantona
Hughes
RVN
Solksjaer
Sheringham
Rooney

Not an "on a plate" or bottle merchant amongst them.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Cantona
Hughes
RVN
Solksjaer
Sheringham
Rooney

Not an "on a plate" or bottle merchant amongst them.
you've got to include cole on that list surely?

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Who said that we double prices every 10 years? We paid £28M in 2000 for Veron, how much would he have cost with your inflation?

Let's look at some other stats, we lost £10M in 3 years, we would imho have won the league anyway in those years as the rest of the team was so strong and the rest of the league was so weak. We'll never know but Yorke was not a popular signing and I believe with hindsight, we were right to not want him. I appreciate that I'm in the minority on here with this, makes a change.
http://teamat.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...t/10/3/109.pdf

SO without Yorke, we would have seen the best of Cole?
Without Yorke we would have seen such sublime interplay in the Nou Camp?
And general delights that he produced throughout the season?
£12.5m - 3 years £4.17m a year.
£12.5m - 3 years 5 major trophies - £2.5m a trophy.
Well worth

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Gazw649

RVN was, and still is a world-class striker.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
I just dont buy into hype.
Nah, that's %@#$&!s. You're just attention seeking.
It's so easy to say that you dislike/hate/don't rate a universally accepted talent.
It's like when people say they hate The Beatles or Elvis...or claim that Pele 'wasn't all that'

When you think of Rooney's goals in the shirt - the quality of his strikes - that chip against Boro' in the FA Cup at Old Trafford, the volley against Newcastle, the Title clinching coolness personified finish at Goodison last year, the stoppage time drive against AC Milan, the life-line sublime finish away in Roma, the volley past Lehman at the Stretford End a couple of seasons back etc..etc..
Not to mention the understanding with team-mates, hunger & enthusiasm for the game, the weight of his passes...the give&goes with Tevez (a player on a similar wavelength)

The boy's different class.
I just wish he'd stop getting these niggling little injuries...he'd have around 20goals already this season if he'd stayed fit.

Yet more threads 'sticking it to Rooney'
Pathetic

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
That was worth the £12 million alone!

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
http://teamat.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...t/10/3/109.pdf

SO without Yorke, we would have seen the best of Cole?
And general delights that he produced throughout the season?
£12.5m - 3 years £4.17m a year.
£12.5m - 3 years 5 major trophies - £2.5m a trophy.
Well worth

£2.5M per player per trophy? Assuming only 11 players that means
£27.5M per trophy. Looks expensive to me.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Fountz

Quote:
you've got to include cole on that list surely?
Certainly not.

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Gazw649

John O'Shea.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Luffy

this is a really weird debate...but you shouldnt consider a player on his price tag alone.

we didnt pay £30m for Rio (although technically we did...) we paid £30m to transform our bunch of clowns who were leaking goals all over into the premierships best defence.

You pay for the end result.

And about Rooney, we havent had a collection of genuine challengers for Ballon dors and world player of the year awards since Best, Law and Charlton and now we have Rooney and Ronaldo who will no doubt be challenging for years to come.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
When you think of Rooney's goals in the shirt - the quality of his strikes - that chip against Boro' in the FA Cup at Old Trafford, the volley against Newcastle, the Title clinching coolness personified finish at Goodison last year, the stoppage time drive against AC Milan, the life-line sublime finish away in Roma, the volley past Lehman at the Stretford End a couple of seasons back etc..etc..
Not to mention the understanding with team-mates, hunger & enthusiasm for the game, the weight of his passes...the give&goes with Tevez (a player on a similar wavelength)
Admittedly the interchange with Tevez has been good. Nothing more, nothing less.
Im not saying he doesnt have world class talent. His goal against Arsenal for Everton, his goal against Newcastle. His coolness in his finish against Croatia.
All impressive, very impressive in fact. Made me very excited about him coming to United. In fact, in his first season he carried the team away from a 6th place finish, most notably in his performance in the 1-0 defeat against West Ham.
Yet his 'world class' performances of the last 18 months - 2 years have been sporadic at best. An occasional pique in a series of troughs and otherwise mundane, run down a blind alley performances. That 80% performance, to me, is an insult.
You, and others, may accept it, even tolerate it in the hope he returns to former glory. But not me

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Ether

Quote:
Yet his 'world class' performances of the last 18 months - 2 years have been sporadic at best. An occasional pique in a series of troughs and otherwise mundane, run down a blind alley performances. That 80% performance, to me, is an insult.
You, and others, may accept it, even tolerate it in the hope he returns to former glory. But not me
In the past 18 months of 'mundane' performances he's played 60 times for us, scored 30 goals and got 20 assists. A record any striker would be happy with. You're just talking shite I'm afraid.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Erm, I'm 34 and used to pay £1.60 at the Stretford End, long before 92. McClair was £#%&! before 92 and after 92. Maybe I'm being unfair, I'm comparing him to other United strikers, not other strikers at shit clubs.
At last, someone who agrees with me on McClair - I thought it was just me and me dad.
He was utter garbage, our 90s success was achieved despite his presence, not because of it.
Closed Thread