United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Admittedly the interchange with Tevez has been good. Nothing more, nothing less.
Im not saying he doesnt have world class talent. His goal against Arsenal for Everton, his goal against Newcastle. His coolness in his finish against Croatia.
All impressive, very impressive in fact. Made me very excited about him coming to United. In fact, in his first season he carried the team away from a 6th place finish, most notably in his performance in the 1-0 defeat against West Ham.
Yet his 'world class' performances of the last 18 months - 2 years have been sporadic at best. An occasional pique in a series of troughs and otherwise mundane, run down a blind alley performances. That 80% performance, to me, is an insult.
You, and others, may accept it, even tolerate it in the hope he returns to former glory. But not me
This just has to be a WUM.

BTW, an occasional pique ? Looks to me like he gets mad all the time.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Admittedly the interchange with Tevez has been good. Nothing more, nothing less.
Im not saying he doesnt have world class talent. His goal against Arsenal for Everton, his goal against Newcastle. His coolness in his finish against Croatia.
All impressive, very impressive in fact. Made me very excited about him coming to United. In fact, in his first season he carried the team away from a 6th place finish, most notably in his performance in the 1-0 defeat against West Ham.
Yet his 'world class' performances of the last 18 months - 2 years have been sporadic at best. An occasional pique in a series of troughs and otherwise mundane, run down a blind alley performances. That 80% performance, to me, is an insult.
You, and others, may accept it, even tolerate it in the hope he returns to former glory. But not me
Return to former glory??? He is 23, in terms of turning up for the big games. last season he outshone Ronaldo in all of them.

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
At last, someone who agrees with me on McClair - I thought it was just me and me dad.
He was utter garbage, our 90s success was achieved despite his presence, not because of it.
You should go to games.

He was £#%&! wasn't he? A Scottish Forlan.

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You should go to games.

He was £#%&! wasn't he? A Scottish Forlan.
Had this conversation recently with believe (I think). I wouldn't say he made absolutely no contribution, and he was certainly as loyal as they come, but in terms of skill he was shocking. The aforementioned players all had something you could name that they were brilliant at.

I still think though that Fergie moving him into midfield after his prolific first season really messed up his game, which was based on simply putting the ball in the net without thinking - he was good at that. If he had more than 2 seconds with the ball he'd panic and fall over.

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
SilverSurfer

Fair enough that he wasn't as skilful as some of the others named and he'd struggle today.

Playing against the likes of Shaun Teale, John Polston and Terry Fenwick was a bit easier, I admit. But he was very effective for his time. His record shows that.

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Fair enough that he wasn't as skilful as some of the others named and he'd struggle today.

Playing against the likes of Shaun Teale, John Polston and Terry Fenwick was a bit easier, I admit. But he was very effective for his time. His record shows that.
I'd forgotten about that £#%&!er.

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Coracao

I can't believe people put Solskjaer ahead of Cole. It is laughable.

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
MUFC One Love

Argentina I just don't get your Rooney stance. Even when he isn't playing well according to many people he still does great things for the team and is picked, because he is a world class player. As for big games...let's not mention Ronaldo, eh?

IMO, Rooney has done a lot more for us in big games than Ronaldo.

Unread 07-12-2007, 01:31 AM
revanoz

Ruud is probably the best natural goalscorer I've seen, granted other parts of his game weren't too good but I loved the @#%&!.

Unread 07-12-2007, 01:34 AM
revanoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Argentina I just don't get your Rooney stance. Even when he isn't playing well according to many people he still does great things for the team and is picked, because he is a world class player. As for big games...let's not mention Ronaldo, eh?

IMO, Rooney has done a lot more for us in big games than Ronaldo.
Rooney is brilliant in big games?! Roma, Milan, Arsenal, City etc... Ronnie is the one that goes missing in big games.

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by revanoz
Rooney is brilliant in big games?! Roma, Milan, Arsenal, City etc... Ronnie is the one that goes missing in big games.
I bet real madrid, barcelona, milan will take rooney ahead of ronaldo!!

PFA player of the year, 17 goals in premier league, 2nd in Ballon D'or, probably 2nd place in FIFA player of the year...

jesus... freddy eastwood does brilliantly in big games... against united

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
chorleyred

I'm glad I've seen every one of those.

the fact that it's turned into a thread where people have to slag one to praise another is pathetic.

just look at that list ffs. it's pure class from top to bottom.

no matter what way you number it, under fergie we;ve seen some of the worlds best players in our squad

hughesie has to be up there with the best for me

Unread 07-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
I'm glad I've seen every one of those.

the fact that it's turned into a thread where people have to slag one to praise another is pathetic.

just look at that list ffs. it's pure class from top to bottom.

no matter what way you number it, under fergie we;ve seen some of the worlds best players in our squad

hughesie has to be up there with the best for me
Says more about some folk doesn't it Chorley?

Unread 07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I can't believe people put Solskjaer ahead of Cole. It is laughable.
True, Ole was a great servant, but very rarely was he one of the 2 best strikers at the club, a fact illustrated by the fact that a large portion of his career was spent on the bench.

Putting him ahead of Cole is pure sentimentality, better finisher yes, but Cole was a far superior player.

Unread 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Erm, I'm 34 and used to pay £1.60 at the Stretford End, long before 92. McClair was £#%&! before 92 and after 92. Maybe I'm being unfair, I'm comparing him to other United strikers, not other strikers at shit clubs.
Well you can't have been watching very closely, before 92 he was a fine striker, not a great one granted but far from the £#%&! player you suggest he was, especially in those first couple of seasons when utd were rebuilding and didn't have the best of sides. after 92 doesn't count because he played a lot of games out of position in midfield, and a lot more he started from the bench.

Unread 08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Crumps

Talking Wrong Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Cantona
Hughes
RVN
Solksjaer
Sheringham
Rooney

Not an "on a plate" or bottle merchant amongst them.
You actually rate Sheringham or even Ole over Cole? That renders all future opinions of yours completely irrelevant no matter the subject.

Lets forget he has scored more top flight goals in England than any of them and is the third highest in premier league assists too.

Bottle merchant? Ruud v Arse not only did he bottle the penalty he then proceeded to act like a £#%&!ing coward as Keown treated him like a bitch.
Closed Thread