United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
You can like it or not, but the reason Antony gets shown more faith than Sancho is because he sticks to Ten Hag’s system, and always carries out his defensive and pressing duties. He never gives less than 100% effort.

Sancho meanwhile, even on a ‘good’ day, is generally quite poor off the ball, and on a bad day he literally looks like he cannot be arsed at all.

You can argue that Ten Hag is wrong to take this into account, but the reality is he does,
I agree he follows 10’ers system but he’s also a big money 100% Ten Hag identified signing so is getting more preferential treatment than his performances justify. I agree we kind of look better with him in the side (which isn’t saying a fat lot) - he works hard and tracks back etc. It’s having so little end product which is the bit that’s devastating as a winger. His limitations kill our efforts far too often

I’m not writing him off but he’s been largely £#%&! so far and has to massively improve fairly quickly. Also my trust in ETH’s myopic lense for the sub-standard Dutch league has taken a big hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
So many anti-sages have exposed themselves with their hatred of Antony. So many.

Argumentum ad populum. HTH.
Pal, you were still banging on about Ronaldo for ages whilst it was obvious to everyone he was killing us before 180’ing and unashamedly pretending you were a long time leading advocate for his removal.

Mysteriously, this volte face coincided with Bunks very late turning on Ronnie if memory serves.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:38 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He’s frustrating and I’m convinced he’s low on confidence and feeling around for his best football, but as others have pointed out: he works hard and knows ETH’s system. That’s giving him the edge right now. There will come a point where his output must improve. Fine margins too. If that shot on Sunday hits the post and goes in, it’s a trademark finish to great move that draws us level.

Just needs a bit of confidence and more time to settle into the league.
Should give Sancho a go on that side. The position he, you know, used to play at Dortmund when we signed him.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Should give Sancho a go on that side. The position he, you know, used to play at Dortmund when we signed him.
100%. Put Antony on the left occasionally just to see if that improves the situation maybe. At least test it.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:40 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I agree he follows 10’ers system but he’s also a big money 100% Ten Hag identified signing so is getting more preferential treatment than his performances justify. I agree we kind of look better with him in the side (which isn’t saying a fat lot) - he works hard and tracks back etc. It’s having so little end product which is the bit that’s devastating as a winger. His limitations kill our efforts far too often

I’m not writing him off but he’s been largely £#%&! so far and has to massively improve fairly quickly. Also my trust in ETH’s myopic lense for the sub-standard Dutch league has taken a big hit.

Pal, you were still banging on about Ronaldo for ages whilst it was obvious to everyone he was killing us before 180’ing and unashamedly pretending you were a long time leading advocate for his removal.

Mysteriously, this volte face coincided with Bunks very late turning on Ronnie if memory serves.
No I’m pretty sure I turned on Ronnie with his general attitude, undermining the manager by leaving the match early among other things. I was actually overlooking the bad performances for the most part as I hoped he’d find some form but his behaviour at that time along with the Morgan interview was the final nail in the coffin. It was very self-aware and tongue in cheek when I kicked up ‘the Campaign’ against him.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:48 AM
dunk

Antony getting another unwarranted kicking

Been our most dangerous forward so far in the 2 games we’ve played.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:50 AM
AK14

Quote:

Tbf to all of our wide players they haven’t actually played with an actual CF yet, so I’m holding out hope that when they eventually do it’ll start to click.

I saw a stat (yeah I know) that we created the second most chances out of the two opening games, that shows how badly we need a CF.

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:50 AM
Stickman

Quote:

Unread 24-08-2023, 08:51 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
No I’m pretty sure I turned on Ronnie with his general attitude, undermining the manager by leaving the match early among other things. I was actually overlooking the bad performances for the most part as I hoped he’d find some form but his behaviour at that time along with the Morgan interview was the final nail in the coffin. It was very self-aware and tongue in cheek when I kicked up ‘the Campaign’ against him.
So very late in acknowledging his deficiencies and poor performances….

But you also berated those that had realised all this whilst you were still singing his praises...

There maybe a theme here.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:02 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
So very late in acknowledging his deficiencies and poor performances….

But you also berated those that had realised all this whilst you were still singing his praises...

There maybe a theme here.
I still maintain it was very tongue in cheek, both pre- and post-Campaign.

Not sure why you’re comparing my love at the time for 40 year old United legend (status now rescinded) Ronaldo with my love and optimism for 23 year old Antony who, as said by dunk, has been our best attacker in a team without an actual CF, and will improve as time goes on.

I’m also not sure why Antony is getting the brunt of some peoples hate when it’s largely been our lack of cohesion in midfield and our lack of a striker that has been the reason for our lax performances so far this season.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:15 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Not sure why you’re comparing my love at the time for 40 year old United legend (status now rescinded) Ronaldo with my love and optimism for 23 year old Antony who, as said by dunk, has been our best attacker in a team without an actual CF, and will improve as time goes on.

I’m also not sure why Antony is getting the brunt of some peoples hate when it’s largely been our lack of cohesion in midfield and our lack of a striker that has been the reason for our lax performances so far this season.
I think we’re all in tongue in cheek mode tbh.

I do admit to having a bit of a downer Antony which perhaps is unfair at times. He just frustrates the life out of me. A winger who can’t cross - who’d have thought it.

Let’s hope Razzers can encourage better play in all our front players because they’re collectively as bad as it gets atm.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Yep, feels as though he has to put in a performance twice as good as anyone else on the pitch to avoid getting piled on after a game atm.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
I think we’re all in tongue in cheek mode tbh.

I do admit to having a bit of a downer Antony which perhaps is unfair at times. He just frustrates the life out of me. A winger who can’t cross - who’d have thought it.

Let’s hope Razzers can encourage better play in all our front players because they’re collectively as bad as it gets atm.
We don’t cross as a team because there’s no £#%&!er to cross to tbf.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:19 AM
magic_cantona

He was the width of a post away from staving off this week's grief.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:20 AM
believe

Quote:

I don’t think there’s a single person here that hates him, just point out that he’s not very good. If we fix the midfield and attacking issues this will still be the case. Hope I’m proved wrong but I just think for all his effort and skill he’s just a terrible decision maker (that will probably be made even more clear when weve got an actual forward playing)

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:22 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Yep, feels as though he has to put in a performance twice as good as anyone else on the pitch to avoid getting piled on after a game atm.
This isn't true - people think there is an agenda against him. There isn't - it's just he has been poor and reguarly puts in poor performances. Yes he may run around and try hard but so did Weggy apparently...

Martinez and Casemiro came in and have been superb for the most part. Casemiro gets critism where it's due but his recent poor performances have been because we haven't bought the right player to play against him and he is looking exposed. Antony repeatedly gives the ball away, his decision making at times is atrocious and still has trouble beating players.

Not Sancho's biggest fan but he deserves the chance to play in his natural position - especially when he has yet to play there and the current guy on the right is stinking the place out.

As believe said, it's not hate, it's frustration and the fact that he seems to be undroppable by ETH for some bizarre reason.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:23 AM
dunk

Young wingers are often bad at decision making, they don’t remain that way , they mature and improve.

Wtf is going on with football fans ffs

Sancho spent as much time on the left as the right in Dortmund, the right isn’t ‘his natural position’.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:24 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Young wingers are often bad at decision making, they don’t remain that way , they mature and improve.

Ok dunk, if you're happy with him, you crack on.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:26 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Ok dunk, if you're happy with him, you crack on.
Happy enough that there’s miles more to come after 2 ridiculously lacklustre performances from the whole team? Happy enough that at 22/23 he’s not the finished article?

Yes tbh.

Unread 24-08-2023, 09:28 AM
believe

Quote:

Sancho spent as much time on the left as the right in Dortmund, the right isn’t ‘his natural position’.
Yes but they usually have a really strong attribute they hang their hats on during them early years, speed, ability to beat a man, ability to cross a ball etc Antony doesn’t seem to have any one of them in abundance.

Someone hasn’t got the same opinion as you “state of football fans” state of you