United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2019, 03:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Giggs definitely wasn't a week in week out great player at 21. Brilliant on his day but so is Rashford. For the record Giggs is probably my favourite ever Utd player. Also my knowledge of Scholes coming into the side is shaky (I was single digits when he was breaking through) but am sure I read someone on here saying he was barely starting at that age.
It's very rare for goalscorers to be at their best level at 21, which is why it always seems they are less likely to break through at a top club. If we look around the Prem, Salah was at Basel; Mane was at RB Salzburg; Hazard was at Lille; Aubameyang was doing nothing in France; Kane was just about to explode but had done nothing at that stage; Sterling was being mocked by England fans. It takes time.

Unread 19-04-2019, 03:48 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's very rare for goalscorers to be at their best level at 21, which is why it always seems they are less likely to break through at a top club. If we look around the Prem, Salah was at Basel; Mane was at RB Salzburg; Hazard was at Lille; Aubameyang was doing nothing in France; Kane was just about to explode but had done nothing at that stage; Sterling was being mocked by England fans. It takes time.
Oh I agree entirely, just felt the mention of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes etc was odd as the reality doesn't quite fit the narrative some are trying to peddle. Think I saw someone on here yesterday saying how strikers don't improve much beyond their early 20s Makes me wonder if I've been watching a different sport all these years as I couldn't recall one player in the past decade who was the full package at 21.

Unread 19-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Which takes on a different slant if the debate had instead been about Kieran Richardson, Darron Gibson, Danny Welbeck etc instead of Ronaldo - the example advocates love to trot out. Plenty of young players have not made it here, and most of them had ardent supporters at some point.
Oh yeah, Kieran Richardson really had an entrenched fan club from what I remember....

Had his own sub forum at one point, signatures, avatars, what idiots his ardent supporters look now ...

Unread 19-04-2019, 04:22 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Oh yeah, Kieran Richardson really had an entrenched fan club from what I remember....

Had his own sub forum at one point, signatures, avatars, what idiots his ardent supporters look now ...
Welbeck was (is) gash and actually did seem to have his own fan club. The fuss made when we sold him to Arsenal

Unread 19-04-2019, 04:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Oh I agree entirely, just felt the mention of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes etc was odd as the reality doesn't quite fit the narrative some are trying to peddle. Think I saw someone on here yesterday saying how strikers don't improve much beyond their early 20s Makes me wonder if I've been watching a different sport all these years as I couldn't recall one player in the past decade who was the full package at 21.
Yep.

I think forward players can often decline earlier, perhaps because if they lose a little explosiveness it takes a lot. But when you think how much of being a goalscorer is mental and about movement, learning the game etc its no surprise most are still well short at 21.

Unread 19-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Furry Russian hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
same people were annoyed at ronaldo "taking all the free kicks" and dribbling too much.

oh and giggs giving the ball away all the time.
Rashford is nowhere near the level of those two unfortunately.

Unread 19-04-2019, 05:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Yes I remember those long ferocious debates over Gibson's potential.
wonky no

Unread 19-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
wonky no
Won't have a word said against the lad.

Wonky nob, not that fat irish idiot..

Unread 19-04-2019, 07:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Welbeck was (is) gash and actually did seem to have his own fan club. The fuss made when we sold him to Arsenal
Perhaps his then fanboys can tell us when his Ballon d'Or is happening?

Unread 19-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Yes I remember those long ferocious debates over Gibson's potential.
Solskjaer described Gibson as a "Ferrari, we just need to get it out of the garage"

Unread 20-04-2019, 11:23 AM
believe

Quote:
Giggs definitely wasn't a week in week out great player at 21. Brilliant on his day but so is Rashford. For the record Giggs is probably my favourite ever Utd player. Also my knowledge of Scholes coming into the side is shaky (I was single digits when he was breaking through) but am sure I read someone on here saying he was barely starting at that age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wasn’t a regular until he was 22/23, same with Beckham IIRC.

91/92 (aged 18) 51 games
92/92 46 games
93/94 58 games

Unread 20-04-2019, 11:29 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

91/92 (aged 18) 51 games
92/92 46 games
93/94 58 games
Who are we talking about Giggs or Scholes?

Edit: Think you're referring to Giggs, just googled it; as said Giggs was really inconsistent as a player early on (as all attackers tend to be barring Messi and fat Ronaldo?). Was referring specifically to Scholes when speaking about him not breaking into the first team until a bit later.

Unread 20-04-2019, 11:52 AM
believe

Quote:
Who are we talking about Giggs or Scholes?

Edit: Think you're referring to Giggs, just googled it; as said Giggs was really inconsistent as a player early on (as all attackers tend to be barring Messi and fat Ronaldo?). Was referring specifically to Scholes when speaking about him not breaking into the first team until a bit later.
Ah right, I was a bit confused.

Unread 20-04-2019, 02:08 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Ah right, I was a bit confused.
As am I. Apparently the only young prospects we’ve ever discussed on this forum, or RI, are Ronaldo, Rashford and Martial. I must have been thinking about UWS.

Unread 20-04-2019, 03:56 PM
The Return of Tim

Quote:
Waz.

Also the things Rashford is missing from his game, like a brain, will never be developed to the extent he will become world class. He will be a good squad player and nothing more. As the entire team is shit, it doesn't really matter now. But if we ever sort ourselves out, that will have to nclude a new forward with a stronger mentality.

Thanks

Unread 20-04-2019, 04:09 PM
utd99

Welcome.

Unread 21-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Sparky***

Another one of his sumptuous free kicks again.

We must have 30 foot high goals at Carrington.

Unread 21-04-2019, 06:24 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Solskjaer described Gibson as a "Ferrari, we just need to get it out of the garage"
Sure that wasn't Tensai?

Unread 21-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Another one of his sumptuous free kicks again.

We must have 30 foot high goals at Carrington.
There really was no doubt where that was ending up was there?

Has he ever actually scored directly from one of those Ronaldo style ones?

Cardiff away. Any others? In three years?

Unread 21-04-2019, 06:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
There really was no doubt where that was ending up was there?

Has he ever actually scored directly from one of those Ronaldo style ones?

Cardiff away. Any others? In three years?
Celta Vigo away IIRC..

Bigger problem is that nobody else on the pitch wants to take them off him I’d have £#%&!ed him off by now and had a few ffs.

Fred used to bang a free kick for Shaktor, Pogba must have it in his locker, Martial is mustard with his instep. Come on ffs. Someone, anyone..
Closed Thread