Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
jem

Default I wouldn't have begrudged schwarzer a goal there

under the circumstances.

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Father Christmas

Pisses you off no end that Alex Ferguson's United are doing so well doesn't it?

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Grimson

When I saw him loping forward, I was convinced he'd end up crippling somebody.

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Sparky***

yeah, if we were winning 5-1!

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
Pisses you off no end that Alex Ferguson's United are doing so well doesn't it?
we won. we did not do well. I am pleased with the result more than the performance, which I consider to have been a bit slack mentally.

shouldn't you be making a list or something?

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
under the circumstances.
Sorry? Under what circumstances? What the £#%&! are you on about, and why wouldn't you have begrudged an opposition player in a team totally out-played for most of the game getting a late goal to snatch a point?

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:42 PM
jem

Default very simple

we got a penalty when there was no foul.

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Sorry? Under what circumstances? What the £#%&! are you on about, and why wouldn't you have begrudged an opposition player in a team totally out-played for most of the game getting a late goal to snatch a point?
I'm wondering the same thing.

Explain yourself, jemma.

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Ah the penalty; I see. Apparently the penalty could have been awarded on a technicality, namely that no actual contact need occur for it to be deemed a foul. Personally, I thought Stam got a piece of the £#%&!in ball in 99* though, so I suppose these things even themselves out eventually.

*edit: 99/00 that is.

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
And it's not like we've been denied clear penalties this season, is it?

Hopefully Jem, Benfica will knock us out of Europe on Wednesday and things will even themselves up eh?

Unread 02-12-2006, 08:57 PM
TheNew

I know what you're saying about the penalty Jem, however, we were the better side throughout and deserved the 3 points.

Stop being so nice to our opponents.

Unread 02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Camel

come on jemima, let your sense of fair play be overrided by your feelings of elation that we won. it won't hurt, i promise.

Unread 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
wonky no

Ok, the pen was soft and if that had been us on the receiving end..say when Christie cheated, we would have been a tad annoyed. We did, however, try and even it up straight away by letting Saha take the pen, you can't ask for better sportsmanship than that.

Unread 03-12-2006, 12:01 AM
jem

Default I believe in fairness

and it would take the gloss of any victory if we cheated to win or it was down to dodgy decisions, even though I know we get more than our fair share of the shitty end of the stick. I would rather we overcame the odds.

all I said was that I wouldn't begrudge him a goal. I didn't want him to score. I wanted us to win. I'm glad we did. wasn't a penalty, though and the decision favoured us.

I was just being magnanimous in victory - he'd already not scored.

Unread 03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Camel

[quote=hughes......oh i say!;26239]Ok, the pen was soft and if that had been us on the receiving end..say when Christie cheated, we would have been a tad annoyed. We did, however, try and even it up straight away by letting Saha take the pen, you can't ask for better sportsmanship than that.[/QUOTE]

absolutely, he even hit it the same side and scuffed it to diminish the pace on the ball. that's sportsmanship!

Unread 03-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Tropical

Default The only reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there was no foul is that Ronaldo is quick and agile enough to hurdle a challenge that would otherwise have cleaned him out without getting near the ball.

Then he fell over. Conveniently. But he did actually fall over, having lost his balance jumping the challenge. Either that, or he's got one hell of a lot better at "simulation" all of a sudden.

It was as much of a penalty as the one Sol Campbell conceded against Rooney at OT two seasons back. And that *was* a penalty.

Unread 03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
jem

Default ah

I knew someone would bring that up (hence heading it off at the pass on r.i.). the difference is that campbell made no attempt to play the ball (which rooney had already knocked past him) and was deliberately trying to impede rooney - and nothing else: there was both intent and actual impeding. rooney could not have got the ball and jumped over the challenge, which would otherwise have wiped him out.

schwarzer came to get the ball and missed it (he was committed to the challenge before ronaldo knocked it past him). he also missed ronaldo and always would have, even if ronaldo hadn't jumped over him. ronaldo anticipated the foul and it put him off his stride.

now you could call that a penalty, but it was harsh.

Unread 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
schwarzer came to get the ball and missed it (he was committed to the challenge before ronaldo knocked it past him). he also missed ronaldo and always would have, even if ronaldo hadn't jumped over him. ronaldo anticipated the foul and it put him off his stride.
And since Schwarzer missed the ball, that's why it was a pen. Clear pen for me. When a 6'4" man hurls himself at the feet of an opponent and denies a goalscoring chance without getting a touch on the ball, it's got to be a pen.

I'll say again that Rooney could have made all this moot had he simply stuck the ball past a Boro defender on the line, but he somehow hit it right at him.

Unread 03-12-2006, 03:53 PM
jem

Default you

are no longer a member of the goalkeepers' union then? :0)

Unread 03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
are no longer a member of the goalkeepers' union then? :0)
Yeah I couldn't afford the dues anymore

But really, it's always been understood that if you go to ground as a keeper, you've got to get a hand on the ball.
Closed Thread