United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Mr Pablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
it's the comparison with Fergie that is laughable....and the oft quoted "dominated through the 90's and/or 00's with United".

Three titles in total. f*** off.
Maybe titles aren't the be all and end all when considering how well a manager has done given his circumstances?

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pablo
Maybe titles aren't the be all and end all when considering how well a manager has done given his circumstances?
what circumstances?

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Mr Pablo

Quote:
what circumstances?
Utd were a much much bigger club than Arsenal in all senses when he took over, now there's very little between the 2 imo and it's largely thanks to him and his vision.

He also competed on the field with a fraction of the budget.

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM
believe

Quote:
Utd were a much much bigger club than Arsenal in all senses when he took over, now there's very little between the 2 imo and it's largely thanks to him and his vision.

He also competed on the field with a fraction of the budget.
I'd say there was very little between the two when he took over tbf. I agree with the budget thing but if you believe most people Ferguson has been doing the same since 2005.

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Mr Pablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I'd say there was very little between the two when he took over tbf. I agree with the budget thing but if you believe most people Ferguson has been doing the same since 2005.
I disagree. There was a huge difference in revenue, standing as a club within the world game, people's perceptions of the club, fanbase etc. Is today's Manchester United a football club that is much different from 10 or 15 years ago? (apart from the obvious takeover stuff) Was Ferguson responsible for any real change in the club as a whole or did he just (i know i know) put trophies on the table? Do you think it's the same as the influence Wenger has exerted at Arsenal? It's a completely different football club throughout.

The bit about Ferguson's transfer dealings since the Glazers doesn't really stand up either, as Wenger's net spend has been next to nothing since then due to the new stadium he was again at the heart of pushing for.

It's easy as Utd fans to see the trophies on the table and dismiss anything else tbf, but it's no surprise to many that Wenger is mentioned in the same breath.

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/09/five-t...-mess-4224305/

Hard to argue with most of this tbf.
That's the first written account I've seen in a paper highlighting the odd decision to appoint David moyes.

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:33 AM
TC23 Henchasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
That's the first written account I've seen in a paper highlighting the odd decision to appoint David moyes.
Tremendous news that Fred.

You're first with the big news everyday, keep those exclusives coming.

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I disagree. There was a huge difference in revenue, standing as a club within the world game, people's perceptions of the club, fanbase etc. Is today's Manchester United a football club that is much different from 10 or 15 years ago? (apart from the obvious takeover stuff) Was Ferguson responsible for any real change in the club as a whole or did he just (i know i know) put trophies on the table? Do you think it's the same as the influence Wenger has exerted at Arsenal? It's a completely different football club throughout.

The bit about Ferguson's transfer dealings since the Glazers doesn't really stand up either, as Wenger's net spend has been next to nothing since then due to the new stadium he was again at the heart of pushing for.

It's easy as Utd fans to see the trophies on the table and dismiss anything else tbf, but it's no surprise to many that Wenger is mentioned in the same breath.
Ferguson has clearly had similar financial constraints post Glazer yet carried on winning trophies. Look at Old Trafford (stadium) pre/post Ferguson. Bought straight out of the current account. No Ashburton Grove and loans etc.

Wenger also inherited George Grahams defence and struggled when they aged.

Wenger has done an excellent job and I was arguing his case 12 months ago when the bummers' fans wanted him out - but really, Ferguson is a one off and out on his own. No comparison. What he did in Scotchland has never really been done before or since. The nearest was the great Hearts team of the 50s being the only one to oust the OF. Don't know how long you've supported United (assuming you do) but it gives some perspective to have lived through Fergie's predecessors.

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:56 AM
believe

Quote:
Ferguson has clearly had similar financial constraints post Glazer yet carried on winning trophies. Look at Old Trafford (stadium) pre/post Ferguson. Bought straight out of the current account. No Ashburton Grove and loans etc.
Closed Thread