United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:25 PM
windy waffles

Thumbs down Michael Owen Vs Alan Smith

Just seen Alan Smith on the United podcast and made me remember how much piss was boiled when he signed.

Especially after this:

Which sight was worse for you?

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM
ryanMUFC

Neither, Smith was one of the hardest working players in that side. We needed to see him play against Leeds to be able to judge his loyalty.

Owen scored the derby winner which is perhaps the biggest good OT has ever seen. Also got so see Michael Owen lift the premier league before Liverpool (in my lifetime)

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:33 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Neither, Smith was one of the hardest working players in that side. We needed to see him play against Leeds to be able to judge his loyalty.

Owen scored the derby winner which is perhaps the biggest good OT has ever seen. Also got so see Michael Owen lift the premier league before Liverpool (in my lifetime)
Agree with the first sentiment. Always like Alan Smith for reasons you said. Was unlucky with the injury too or I'm sure he would have played a lot more.

Owen though -

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Didn't mind Smith.

Absolute detest Owen #Itwas3-3

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Didn't mind Smith.

Absolute detest Owen #Itwas3-3
No it wasn't, we loaned him for the day

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:43 PM
Mr_Ed

Think Smith simply couldn’t turn us down when the chance came. Owen was just a joke.

Why Freggle wanted to play smith in midfield was beyond me however.

We’d dined out on Ronaldo for 6 years and Owen was the resultant turd.

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Sparky***

owen.

nft

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:57 PM
andyroo

Definitely Owen

Didn't actually mind Smith that much. Always put his heart in it. And he scored in the 7-1 v Roma

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:58 PM
silv

Wasn’t fussed by either

Unread 08-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Chris Quayd

Despise(d) Smith, didn't cheer his first few goals. Also wasn't happy we signed a scouser in the same window #topred

Unread 08-09-2020, 08:03 PM
Patty_b

Didn't mind Smith, can't think of many players who's first two goals for the club were that good. Also gave everything whenever he played, fair play.

Owen is just a pointless human being. The fourth goal against City was all Giggs as far as I'm concerned.

Unread 08-09-2020, 08:04 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Agree with the first sentiment. Always like Alan Smith for reasons you said. Was unlucky with the injury too or I'm sure he would have played a lot more.

Owen though -
Growing up as a kid in the 90’s he was one of the best strikers on the planet rather than a little scouse bastard. He wasn’t necessarily a let down either.. he scored in the league cup final too.

Unread 08-09-2020, 08:22 PM
tatty

Owen comes across as one of those people who would be very difficult to like even if you knew him well.

There's a video of him acting like a real prat with a young kid in goal being coached by Neville Southall.

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:15 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Owen comes across as one of those people who would be very difficult to like even if you knew him well.

There's a video of him acting like a real prat with a young kid in goal being coached by Neville Southall.
You only need to hear him talk in the media, read extracts from his book, see the 'brochure' he produced and to understand the hate towards him by fans of all his former clubs to know he is a @#%&! who everyone despised.

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
You only need to hear him talk in the media, read extracts from his book, see the 'brochure' he produced and to understand the hate towards him by fans of all his former clubs to know he is a @#%&! who everyone despised.
Apart from Ryan
Biggest goon old Trafford has ever seen

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Owen scored the derby winner which is perhaps the biggest good OT has ever seen.
Not for me. I've had bigger goons in pre-season games.

When that went in I gave it a:

Followed by a:

"Looked offside that, but I'll take the 3 points. Great ball from Giggsy".

Owen's a @#%&! who stained the shirt.

Smith was alright.

No idea what Fergie was doing signing either, tbh. Should have been sacked on the spot when he wrote their names down as targets.

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Both @#%&!s.

Never been more upset by a signing Smith. Redeemed himself somewhat with his effort, but he was largely crap and never had enough ability to pull round years of Leeds-ness.

Owen was a vile worm. I just pity him now. He's DEVASTATED by how disliked he is at Liverpool.

Both can £#%&! off.

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:32 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Apart from Ryan
Biggest goon old Trafford has ever seen
Bunks as it went in...

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Why Don?

Smudger was on record as saying he hated us/would never sign for us.

Therefore him.

Unread 08-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Hate the nickname Smudger.

And those t shirts were embarrassing.

Actually, yeah, £#%&! it. Smith.

Owen is a sad little dork that nobody likes, but Smith was a @#%&! and painfully average. Vardy without the goals.
Closed Thread