United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
have to queue up for ketchup....
I can see why they like having u about... quite witty on the sly..

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:46 PM
South Stand Johnny

Firstly, few people would have called themselves middle class 30 years ago, now many do. We don't work down pits any more. We don't get the bus or walk to work. We drive German cars to offices and work with PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Heysel gave thatcher the ammunition she needed to attack the main working class sport

Hillsborough was the final piece in her jigsaw

Pavarotti singing at Italia 90

@#%&!s from the Home Counties getting into "footie" during euro 96

It's £#%&!ed

Forever
Football in the 70s and 80s was ruined for fans by violence on the terraces, not policing or Government policy. All the try-hards who go on about smacking up Scouse/City/Leeds/etc or claim to being some uber-cool MIB are the reason the stadia are like they are. Not Thatcher, she left power 24 years ago and before the PL was formed....though it's not difficult to notice you'd blame her for the weather too.

Corporate hospitality started with Edwards Snr. in the 60s - and don't forget Busby got him to invest in the club to buy him better players (just like Moore at Liverpool, Walker at Blackburn, Hall at Newcastle, Mandaric, Abromivitch, Mansour, etc.). See the parallels with today's game? See how this is just evolution of something (United) started 60 years ago?

Just like Business and First Class on planes, the corporates and sponsorships subsidise the tickets for the rest of us in economy. We could go back 30 years and have shit grounds; use the terrace for toilets; stay behind barbed wire fences; play on mud 11 months of the year; see all British talent leave for Italy, Spain or Germany, then come home to watch Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill talk for 50 mins in a once a week programme featuring Brighton and Hereford.

Things have moved on. It's time you did too.

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:57 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Stand Johnny
Firstly, few people would have called themselves middle class 30 years ago, now many do. We don't work down pits any more. We don't get the bus or walk to work. We drive German cars to offices and work with PCs.

Football in the 70s and 80s was ruined for fans by violence on the terraces, not policing or Government policy. All the try-hards who go on about smacking up Scouse/City/Leeds/etc or claim to being some uber-cool MIB are the reason the stadia are like they are. Not Thatcher, she left power 24 years ago and before the PL was formed....though it's not difficult to notice you'd blame her for the weather too.

Corporate hospitality started with Edwards Snr. in the 60s - and don't forget Busby got him to invest in the club to buy him better players (just like Moore at Liverpool, Walker at Blackburn, Hall at Newcastle, Mandaric, Abromivitch, Mansour, etc.). See the parallels with today's game? See how this is just evolution of something (United) started 60 years ago?

Just like Business and First Class on planes, the corporates and sponsorships subsidise the tickets for the rest of us in economy. We could go back 30 years and have shit grounds; use the terrace for toilets; stay behind barbed wire fences; play on mud 11 months of the year; see all British talent leave for Italy, Spain or Germany, then come home to watch Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill talk for 50 mins in a once a week programme featuring Brighton and Hereford.

Unread 04-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

the middle class tag thing is true

the part about hooliganism is a fair point

the part about the sponsors and corporates subsidising our tickets is utter shite

Unread 04-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

the part about the sponsors and corporates subsidising our tickets is utter shite
Deffo

Tickets subsidised !!!

If they were they would be about £10 - £20

Unread 04-11-2014, 01:52 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:

I don't agree with paying so much for a ticket. But then paying £6 for a bottle of beer on a night out is taking the piss. £85 for a top gig. Cinema is £12 a go (not to mention the cost of raisinettes).
If a bottle of beer where you live is £6 then I'm guessing you live nearer to where the average ticket price is £50 a game. Most working class match going football fans prioritise with going to the match at the weekend, seeing their mates at the pub before the game etc. it's as much as a social event as it is a football game for some. They don't need to get in early and savour the experience as it's something they've been doing from an early age. If you sit in the south stand then you're going to be the last to moan about ticket prices because your match day experience probably revolves around your nice pitch side view and your pre game bovril.

Unread 04-11-2014, 08:55 AM
no fun

Quote:

Barclaycard sponsored private box at the back of the main stand ( £#%&!ing South stand, it's the main stand), 9pm

Unread 04-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Crumps

South stand Johnny and his middle class guilt.

Unread 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
South stand Johnny and his middle class guilt.
Ooh it was awfully rough going to Man U games in the eighties, the prices were so low that youths from council estates could afford to go, and that meant you had to stand next to them.....it's much better now knowing that the person you are sat next to is either renting in the high end of the private sector or an owner occupier

Unread 04-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Ooh it was awfully rough going to Man U games in the eighties, the prices were so low that youths from council estates could afford to go, and that meant you had to stand next to them.....it's much better now knowing that the person you are sat next to is either renting in the high end of the private sector or an owner occupier
At least we have got subsidised tickets now.

We should all be thankful, shut the £#%&! up and lap up the lack of atmosphere.

I only started going in 91 and its a completely different experience. Even the last ten years have seen it change massively. None for the better imo.

Unread 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM
jem

Quote:
I used to love schlepping up on the train with no ticket, but knowing I could still wander into a hardly full paddock for about the cost of my shoot! magazine. but you can't stand in the way of progress. remember the first time you saw someone standing at the side of the pitch with one of those cameras on a bendy scaffold instead of the big fixed plinth? it was like watching a terminator doing press ups next to a dalek. you are the rubbery dinosaur on the shaky set. so many great moments not even captured on camera.... yeah, it's all a bit more "consumer friendly", but football is just the same as everything else. you may want to walk down a rainy garden every time you need a dump, but I don't.

Unread 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I used to love schlepping up on the train with no ticket, but knowing I could still wander into a hardly full paddock for about the cost of my shoot! magazine. but you can't stand in the way of progress. remember the first time you saw someone standing at the side of the pitch with one of those cameras on a bendy scaffold instead of the big fixed plinth? it was like watching a terminator doing press ups next to a dalek. you are the rubbery dinosaur on the shaky set. so many great moments not even captured on camera.... yeah, it's all a bit more "consumer friendly", but football is just the same as everything else. you may want to walk down a rainy garden every time you need a dump, but I don't.
not all progress is good jem

inside toilets....good

votes for women....bad

Unread 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM
jem

Quote:
votes for women....bad
"ooh, that mr blair..... he seems nice."

Unread 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
South Stand Johnny

OK. Here we go.

German clubs are owned by fans, its the law there. They are not businesses as they are in England. As a result, they can't make a profit. Pricing is a result of that. In fact, Germany, Italy and Spain can be just as expensive and often more than the PL if you aren't a member.

Arsenal charge £100 for a ticket in a 70,000-seater stadium. They also have the ground sponsored, but don't have the other income United do. I'm not in any way supporting the Glazers but you must see the link with their income model and ours, and we don't (yet) get £#%&!ed the way Gooners do. In basic economic terms, the standard tickets are subsidised by the higher cost premium tickets and other incomes when compared with other clubs. I'm not saying the Glazers are helping out, but they aren't maximising the price as other clubs do.

If you want the old character of a match, you can watch Salford for £7. (And dare I say It's a tenner at FC?) That's non league.

I'm not in the South Stand. Look up anything about Bruce Springsteen and you'll where my username comes from.

Unread 04-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Crumps

Quote:
OK. Here we go.

German clubs are owned by fans, its the law there. They are not businesses as they are in England. As a result, they can't make a profit. Pricing is a result of that. In fact, Germany, Italy and Spain can be just as expensive and often more than the PL if you aren't a member.

Arsenal charge £100 for a ticket in a 70,000-seater stadium. They also have the ground sponsored, but don't have the other income United do. I'm not in any way supporting the Glazers but you must see the link with their income model and ours, and we don't (yet) get £#%&!ed the way Gooners do. In basic economic terms, the standard tickets are subsidised by the higher cost premium tickets and other incomes when compared with other clubs. I'm not saying the Glazers are helping out, but they aren't maximising the price as other clubs do.

If you want the old character of a match, you can watch Salford for £7. (And dare I say It's a tenner at FC?) That's non league.

I'm not in the South Stand. Look up anything about Bruce Springsteen and you'll where my username comes from.
Springsteen too.

Get the working man's struggle fleece the @#%&!s for tickets.

You are an apologist of everything that is £#%&! with football.

You have only posted because you have taken umbrage with the article and the thread, as it is talking about you and your ilk.

Unread 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:

If you want to be beside mugs that are happy to pay extortionate prices you can go and watch arsenal..or Bruce. United are from a working class city believe it or not.

Unread 04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
OK. Here we go.

so what? and no they aren't.

Unread 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
doudou

The first time I had to pay adult prices for my season ticket it was 140 quid (1994-95) just as well the prices are subsidised now or they'd be really high....

Edit, actually might have been a little more now I remember (LMTB in West Lower), but the point still stands

Unread 04-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
OK. Here we go.

If you think Arsenal seats 70,000 you're a bigger dick and make it up artist than I thought you were - and I already had you ranked Top 3

Unread 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
If you think Arsenal seats 70,000 you're a bigger dick and make it up artist than I thought you were - and I already had you ranked Top 3
Who are the other 2 Charlie?
Closed Thread