Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
ScarFace

arsenal

Unread 08-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Coracao

Bayern Munich.

A massive club.

And a proper European night. I don't really wanna see PSV to be honest.

Unread 08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
24hr Leavesey

Liverpool for me - We know how to beat them, can't say that about any other team left in the draw.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
MJ Ramone

Bayern Munich or AC Milan for me as well....It would either bring the best out in us & inspire the manager enough to send us out to attack (as if ..)
or, we'd get put out on our arse again, having failed to test the keeper in either leg..again.

Either way, I couldn't handle the likely outcome of being put out by Chelsea or the dippers.

I honestly look at all 7 possible opponents & think "I can't picture us going through"
...do you know what I mean??....I remember our European nights of a few years back 97 - early 2000's kinda time...you could picture it in your head how we might get through...how the goals would materialise. You knew that Teddy or Andy Cole...Dwight Yorke, Ole or Ruud would score.
You knew Beckham might put a freekick away, that Giggsy would always produce something exciting..or that Keano might burst forward & make something happen.

Now you go into these games thinking, well obviously we'll be cagey..look to contain. Fail to ignite the tie...fail to start at a high tempo.
Pass back to the keeper as often as possible...flood the midfield..play with a loan striker (a non-goalscoring striker at that)...Rooney & Ronaldo will continue to dissapoint...Scholes & Carrick will check - check again & then pass back to Rio or Vidic..who will launch it forward or give it back to Van Der Sar etc..etc..
You know you're getting a 1-0 a 0-0 or a 0-1 before the game kicks off.

We've had 4 seasons of that shit now, as I said last night, Chelsea & Liverpool are welcome to that competition (& lets be honest, one of the £#%&!ers will win it this year)...I've fell out of love with the £#%&!ing thing. Saturday will be far more up my street.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Bayern Munich or AC Milan for me as well....It would either bring the best out in us & inspire the manager enough to send us out to attack (as if ..)
or, we'd get put out on our arse again, having failed to test the keeper in either leg..again.

Either way, I couldn't handle the likely outcome of being put out by Chelsea or the dippers.

I honestly look at all 7 possible opponents & think "I can't picture us going through"
...do you know what I mean??....I remember our European nights of a few years back 97 - early 2000's kinda time...you could picture it in your head how we might get through...how the goals would materialise. You knew that Teddy or Andy Cole...Dwight Yorke, Ole or Ruud would score.
You knew Beckham might put a freekick away, that Giggsy would always produce something exciting..or that Keano might burst forward & make something happen.

Now you go into these games thinking, well obviously we'll be cagey..look to contain. Fail to ignite the tie...fail to start at a high tempo.
Pass back to the keeper as often as possible...flood the midfield..play with a loan striker (a non-goalscoring striker at that)...Rooney & Ronaldo will continue to dissapoint...Scholes & Carrick will check - check again & then pass back to Rio or Vidic..who will launch it forward or give it back to Van Der Sar etc..etc..

We've had 4 seasons of that shit now, as I said last night, Chelsea & Liverpool are welcome to that competition (& lets be honest, one of the £#%&!ers will win it this year)...I've fell out of love with the £#%&!ing thing. Saturday will be far more up my street.

Regarding Liverpool

Have a bit of faith MJ.

Do you really believe Liverpool would do us over two legs ?

Do you really believe United would put in dour performances against Liverpool ? In my opinion they are the only team to face in the comp that would guarentee a decent performance.

Granted, if we met them in the semi's or final, then I'd agree to a greater extent, but to meet them now would be perfect.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
The Watcher

Default Spot on as always MJ!

Quote:
I agree, I'd love to get Bayern or Milan. A big European night to look forward too. I remember the buzz before we played Porto in 97 and Juve in 98. £#%&!ing amazing. Great attacking football from United. Was still buzzing of those games weeks after. Made you proud to be a Red

Quote:

Up until 2003, I always fancied us to win, no matter who we drew. Real Madrid, Bayern, Deportivo (they had an excellent side in 2002). Now, I'm surprised if we manage not to loose. It's £#%&!ing tragic. The Lille game last night was another disappointment. Shit football for the whole game. It's a £#%&!ing joke when a United side 9 points clear at home is afraid to impose itself on a no mark side from £#%&!ing france!

Porto 97 remains a cherished memory of mine. They had a great side and were considered the most likely to stop Juve. Yet, when they came to Old Trafford, we just blew them away. The team and the crowd were on form that night, amazing. Ditto Juventus the following season. Or the 2-2 and 3-3 games with Barcelona? There is no reason the present side cannot do the same to any of the side left in this years competition. But you just know we won't

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
MJ Ramone

Re; Liverpool.

I would fancy us to come out on top of a League double header.
The Champions League is different though. It brings the worst out in Ferguson & the best out of Benitez.
It brings the worst out in our top players & it inspires the Liverpool players.
Their crowd are more up for European games than ours as well, although that's more to do with the way we play in Europe because Old Trafford used to be buzzing on European nights before the wretched 4-5-1 was enforced.

Look at the FA Cup tie at Anfield last season...we didn't create a signle chance because we "played it like a European Tie"..

If we played the dippers in the quarter finals...all things being equal..given our recent form in Europe I'd predict a 0-0 at Old Trafford & a 1-0 loss at Anfield.

Nothing will EVER change in the mind of Ferguson & Carlos in Europe..no matter how many shite results we achieve..no matter how many anemic perfomances we have to sit through.
In Europe we play with absolute disregard for Manchester United's values & attacking football principals...& I'm so bored of it now it's gone beyond a joke.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
24hr Leavesey

[quote=MJ Ramone;180592]Re; Liverpool.

I would fancy us to come out on top of a League double header.
The Champions League is different though. It brings the worst out in Ferguson & the best out of Benitez.[quote]

I wouldn't have thought Fergie would £#%&! around vs Liverpool, even he would know not to be cute in that particular game.

But I know exactly where you're coming from - as far as any other match up in Europe's concerned I think you're spot on.

Unread 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
user_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name
i think we'll get roma though.

edit: i predicted celtic to be in our group and that we would get lille in the last draw... so... roma it is

yawn....

what else you @#%&!s want to know?

Unread 09-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name
yawn....

what else you @#%&!s want to know?

Tomorrows lottery numbers please

Unread 10-03-2007, 02:53 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
boreez, celtbion, El Calafate, M-13, Qwertyuiop, rhodzy, Torquemada, TreeFiddy, Vidiculous
All got their wishes...
Closed Thread