United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:10 PM
jem

Default sorry, I don't get this "united's best chance to win it since..." line

it's our best chance every year. europe has been shit for ages. unfortunately, we're part of the reason why it's shit.

the idea that we have a good chance of winning it would make sense if you added "provided we actually go out and play like manchester united and not like some second-rate italian team on a dull day". unfortunately, whilst this would make sense, it would also be dreamily optimistic.

we underperform in europe every £#%&!ing year because we have no belief, no %@#$&!s and no style. if we win anything playing like that, it would hardly be glorious.

it's £#%&!ing criminal that fergie doesn't have three to five european cups under his belt. what if... eh?

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's our best chance every year. europe has been shit for ages. unfortunately, we're part of the reason why it's shit.

the idea that we have a good chance of winning it would make sense if you added "provided we actually go out and play like manchester united and not like some second-rate italian team on a dull day". unfortunately, whilst this would make sense, it would also be dreamily optimistic.

we underperform in europe every £#%&!ing year because we have no belief, no %@#$&!s and no style. if we win anything playing like that, it would hardly be glorious.

it's £#%&!ing criminal that we fergie doesn't have three to five european cups under his belt. what if... eh?
All true, unfortunately.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

it's £#%&!ing criminal that we fergie doesn't have three to five european cups under his belt. what if... eh?
The Champions League has been poor for the last 3 or 4yrs. If we had the '99 team, we would piss it. nft.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:14 PM
MUFC One Love

100% spot on, Jem.

It's infuriating knowing what we could be like in Europe if Fergie didn't create this aura that Europe is this big scary thing and we have to be different.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
jem

Default and playing away in rome first

really won't help us.

fergie will think 0-0 is a good result.

it isn't.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Sparky***

We won't win it. No way. Infact, I'll be surprised if we make the semis playing as we have recently.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
24hr Leavesey

I'm drawing comparisons with Liverpools run in the CL when they won it last. That's why I'm getting a bit giddy.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
I'm drawing comparisons with Liverpools run in the CL when they won it last. That's why I'm getting a bit giddy.
Don't compare us to them. We'll never be THAT lucky.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey

they and Porto proved uninspiring teams can win the £#%&!ing thing.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Harry Flashman

unfortunatly the vermin seem to step up to the challange in Europe where as we seem to be burdened with it

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
wiganste

We should pull out now to avoid embarrassment.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
they and Porto proved uninspiring teams can win the £#%&!ing thing.
it's true.

but I don't want united to be an uninspiring team.

any @#%&! can win.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:22 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's true.

any @#%&! can win.
nor do I - but we aren't playing very well on any fronts at the moment - VDS and Ronny are winning browny points left right and centre - i would rather that continues than us fold like a pack of cards.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
S/Side.Red

I disagree with the notion that it's ever easy to win the Champions League, but I must say that with the exception of 2004 this is the weakest Quarter-Finals lineup I can recall since this format started.

Last season, I reckon Chelsea or Barcelona would have put United out quite comfortably. The season before, Chelsea or Barca would have put us out if a Milan side (which was superior) had not beaten them to it. They were clearly better sides than us - with better, more experienced players.

This season, I don't see a side that would be strong favourites in a tie against us, hence our position as favourites for the competition.

I agree to an extent with what you're saying, though. We should have done much better against Leverkusen, Porto and, of course, last season.

I assume the last line is tongue-in-cheek, though.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's true.

any @#%&! can win.
Utd have been shit in europe for the last 3yrs. absolute bobbins. boring to watch as well. nft.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Default But fora plane crash

We'd be pushing Madrid on numbers of European Cups won and we'd be much more relaxed.

Look at the number of EC semis United have been in over the years and it beggars belief that we've only won it twice.

Something in the two leg/league format doesn't agree with our psychology - in one off big games I'd rarely ever back the opposition.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I assume the last line is tongue-in-cheek, though.
you mean "any @#%&! can win"? or do you mean that it's criminal fergie hasn't won more european cups? we were the best team in europe for at least five years, during which time we managed to £#%&! up against lesser opposition. since we actually won the thing, it has been our attitude that has cost us every time, bar last year when we were simply awful.

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

I've never ever seen a United side put out onto the pitch to get 0. Ferguson will know very well that 0-0 in Rome IS a good result. He will, however, hope and expect his team to score. In fact I'd expect them to score more than once just by committing Roma's runners forward and hitting them fast on the break.

Let's just pretend for a minute that Roma will be aware of this possiblity and take tactical measures to try and avoid it, shall we.

No worries. Let's destroy them with 4-4-2

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really won't help us.

fergie will think 0-0 is a good result.

it isn't.
Just had this argument with a know nothign at work

Unread 09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
No worries. Let's destroy them with 4-4-2
ah, the dreamily optimistic approach.

and 0-0 away is not a good result. we need away goals.
Closed Thread