United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:21 PM
Sparky***

6 appearances in the last 4 years

what in the name of christ were they thinking giving him a 4 year contract in 2019 presumably north of 100k a week?

It's that kind of absolutely piss poor decision making that has us so far behind the likes of man city.

Phil Jones would have been jettisoned the minute Guardiola walked through the door

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:28 PM
Rorschach

This is true but he's no longer part of the club and nor is the guy who made the decision. Soon, the owners responsible for they guy who made the decision will either be gone themselves or reduced to lurking in the darkened, wi-fi free corners of OT and no longer in control.

Hopefully, this is the first of a few such announcements to come.

Look forwards.

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:30 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

what in the name of christ were they thinking giving him a 4 year contract in 2019 presumably north of 100k a week?

It's that kind of absolutely piss poor decision making that has us so far behind the likes of man city.

Phil Jones would have been jettisoned the minute Guardiola walked through the door
Woodward couldn't have £#%&!ed this club up more if that had been his express intention.

Maybe it was?

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:41 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Exactly, he will have wrote zero percent of it.

Ghost writer never been so apt.
Hearing he has a fractured wrist so may well have written it himself.

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

The outgoings (or lack of) and the dishing out of contracts has been worse than the signings we’ve made.

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:50 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csa7M...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Feels a bit more retirement than just leaving the club tbh.
Well yeah, that’s kind of to be expected when you’re 31 and have started 4 league games in 4 seasons.

If he was to go anywhere else it would mean dropping down at least one level, so it’s not going to be financially rewarding.

Can’t imagine he’ll bother tbh.

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:55 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Woodward couldn't have £#%&!ed this club up more if that had been his express intention.

Maybe it was?
Really makes you wonder but I think he was arrogant enough to think he knew better than anybody else, how to run every facet of the club, even the playing side. Especially with a view to maximising income, which, if not directly benefiting his own income stream, no doubt in his own misguided view, benefitted the club’s. Pity it destroyed the whole playing structure and put us in the position we are today. Probably giving the Glazers undue cred here but maybe, even they eventually saw the light.

Unread 19-05-2023, 12:57 PM
Jack Duckworth

What a waste of a career, the grabbing bastard.

If he had anything about him, he'd donate a tiny bit of the vast wages he's sponged off the club for doing nothing to a children's hospice or something. At least then some good would've come out of his career.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:03 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Well yeah, that’s kind of to be expected when you’re 31 and have started 4 league games in 4 seasons.

If he was to go anywhere else it would mean dropping down at least one level, so it’s not going to be financially rewarding.

Can’t imagine he’ll bother tbh.
What? Even if someone was daft enough to pay him a mere £40/50g p/w. Would his pride be worth more than a mere 2m p/a? Maybe. Devoid of reality.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:09 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
What? Even if someone was daft enough to pay him a mere £40/50g p/w. Would his pride be worth more than a mere 2m p/a? Maybe. Devoid of reality.
Who on earth is signing Phil Jones on a £50k a week contract?!

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Who on earth is signing Phil Jones on a £50k a week contract?!
Everton? Sunderland?

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:22 PM
tatty

The local Dog & Duck could afford to sign him on a pay-as-you-play deal.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Everton? Sunderland?
I can’t see it myself. I don’t think he’s getting a Premier League contract.

If he drops down a level to the Championship, 40/50k is at the top end of what players get. I can’t see a club risking that amount of their wage budget on someone they can’t be sure will even play much.

Possibly a move to the US or China I guess?

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:30 PM
Patty_b

It's like releasing an animal back into the wild. Brought him in, healed his wounds, and now it's time to go.

I hope he makes it.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:37 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I can’t see it myself. I don’t think he’s getting a Premier League contract.

If he drops down a level to the Championship, 40/50k is at the top end of what players get. I can’t see a club risking that amount of their wage budget on someone they can’t be sure will even play much.

Possibly a move to the US or China I guess?
Wasn’t entirely serious. More an observation of how they lose their sense of proportion after riding the gravy train for years. Kept his head low (understatement) wouldn’t go on loan but at least had e sense of shame not to take a testimonial. Probably best not to rock the boat.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:38 PM
tatty

Who is going to authorise any deal other than PAYP?

It’s asking for the sack given his history.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:40 PM
Sapien

Bit ott all this. Plenty of better players and bigger contributors have left with much less fanfare. It's a bit odd, almost as if the club feels like it has some sort of liability in terms of his mental health.

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:50 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Who is going to authorise any deal other than PAYP?

It’s asking for the sack given his history.
Doubt he’ll play again tbh. Probably would rather quietly fade away with his unearned millions. Chosen his place in the clubs history. Another waster enabled by Woodward.

Unread 19-05-2023, 02:02 PM
dunk

I thought he might turn up at Blackburn, or go to America and join Rooney tbh.. difficult to say as there’s £#%&! all info about his injuries.

Unread 19-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Bit ott all this. Plenty of better players and bigger contributors have left with much less fanfare. It's a bit odd, almost as if the club feels like it has some sort of liability in terms of his mental health.
Shame they don’t feel the same for fans
Closed Thread