United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
All true, did not expect Hodgson to be so easily influenced. Listen to him talk and he comes across as very serious, with conviction in his ideas. Possibly his failure at Liverpool has made him more concerned with the public perception.

The lack of a DM was an obvious problem with the squad, no Carrick was foolish, it is his role, he has played it to a high level in a dominant team for years. He is a little unfortunate that Walcott is out and that Wilshere has struggled so much with injury, 2 players who would be in their strongest 11 imo.
Chamberlain injury was a shame. He's developing into an excellent player. Saw him for Arsenal at the Allianz against Bayern and he caused them so many problems with his ability to run with the ball from midfield and combine with others. Great close control.

Again, there's talk of lack of quality being the issue - Hansen brought it up after the match and was well argued against by Henry and Seedorf - but England have a raft of exciting options. Put Wilshere, Chamberlain, Barkley, Sterling, Welbeck, Lallana and Sturridge on the market and there'd be lots of top-level interest.

Carrick sitting deep with midfielders ahead of him with that change of pace, who want the ball and can turn and run, then the incision of Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck up top - it could have been a very interesting proposition under the right guidance.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
All true, did not expect Hodgson to be so easily influenced. Listen to him talk and he comes across as very serious, with conviction in his ideas. Possibly his failure at Liverpool has made him more concerned with the public perception.

The lack of a DM was an obvious problem with the squad, no Carrick was foolish, it is his role, he has played it to a high level in a dominant team for years. He is a little unfortunate that Walcott is out and that Wilshere has struggled so much with injury, 2 players who would be in their strongest 11 imo.
Chamberlain is another who would make the strongest 11, there's a group of talented players there who could play against any team and give them a game, it's the coaching that's the problem.

Apparently, Hodgson also let Lampard and Gerrard give a team talk after the Italy game, where they proceeded to tell them that if they got knocked out it would be something that would eat away at them for the rest of their lives Why the £#%&! would you do that to young players when they are coming into it with no fear? it's £#%&!ing insane:shakehead:

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:12 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Why the £#%&! is there always this surprise and a need for an inquest whenever England get eliminated from anything?

They're a nothing country who have won half the World Cups that Uruguay have, and even that was a stitch-up on home soil that nobody outside of London gives a £#%&! about.

Barring that, they have made absolutely no impression on any international tournament in nearly 100 years. A squad full of utterly average dross, managed by a media-pandering numpty was never going to do anything other than stumble out early.

Now they're talking about winning it in 2022! Typical, clueless arrogance that underpins the inevitable depression their fans suffer every 2-4 years. I £#%&!ing love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
What a load of shit.

Other than that you're quite right.
This. Why was it a stitch up in 66? And I think you will find their were plenty of people outside London who gave a £#%&! and people outside London now who do. England have reached a good few semi and quarter finals over the years and took them to the wire against some of the worlds best teams; 1970 and 1990 against W Germany, Euro 96 against Germany, Argentina in 98 etc. So in short, as per usual, you are spouting shite.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Clarkie

Haha £#%&!ing hell.....Have a read of this

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Why was it a stitch up in 66?
Playing every game at Wembley, the Rattín red card against Argentina, forcing Eusebio's Portugal to travel the length of the country for the semi-final, and obviously the disgraceful officiating in the final.

They've done £#%&! all in every other tournament. Scraping to penalty shootout defeats in '90 and '96 is no achievement.

England are not a major force in international football, despite how entitled they act.

andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Haha £#%&!ing hell.....Have a read of this

I dunno about awesome, we defended like little girls but the basic point is there, nobody was shitting themselves about what might happen.

Ange is brilliant.

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
This. Why was it a stitch up in 66? And I think you will find their were plenty of people outside London who gave a £#%&! and people outside London now who do. England have reached a good few semi and quarter finals over the years and took them to the wire against some of the worlds best teams; 1970 and 1990 against W Germany, Euro 96 against Germany, Argentina in 98 etc. So in short, as per usual, you are spouting shite.
Didn't Owen's goal v Argentina in 1998 win goal of the tournament as well? Shearer finished top scorer in euro 96? Gary Lineker winning the golden boot in mexico 86?

But no impression on any tournament.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Mourinho should be hired at whatever cost.. Give him a 10 year contract to try and sort out the national team.. But the fa would not do that as that would upset their agenda, they had a great manager in capello who they messed around and in the end he £#%&!ed off..
Same with Eriksson, who despite the later revisionism looked the real deal for a while.

They wouldn't give Venables the lengthy contract he wanted either - I know about his dodgy off-field stuff, but still

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:21 PM
andyroo

By the way England aren't hated outside England at all, not like the way the more virulent English critics seem to think. Most people kind of wish you would just get it together and stop blaming each other all the time.

(Apart from in Scotland of course.)

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Playing every game at Wembley, the Rattín red card against Argentina, forcing Eusebio's Portugal to travel the length of the country for the semi-final, and obviously the disgraceful officiating in the final.

They've done £#%&! all in every other tournament. Scraping to penalty shootout defeats in '90 and '96 is no achievement.

England are not a major force in international football, despite how entitled they act.
What the WHOLE LENGTH of humongous England? My god, I hope they took supplies.

Obviously not a doddle like playing in the middle of the £#%&!ing amazon in a stadium that can't be reached by any road.

Stop chatting shit.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Neo

Quote:
Didn't Owen's goal v Argentina in 1998 win goal of the tournament as well? Shearer finished top scorer in euro 96? Gary Lineker winning the golden boot in mexico 86?

But no impression on any tournament.
OMG, not Goal of the Tournament!

Name. On. The trophy.
Jules Rimet still gleaming.

Didn't some Saudi @#%&! win that in '94? Massive.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Tiberian

Agree about Chamberlain, very good player, can be like Barkley, a little raw in his play but an impressive athlete and would be a natural for a role in a midfield 3.

Even Henderson is a useful player, as a box to box runner with ball players alongside him. Hodgson wanted to get the fans onside by giving all that attacking talent a go but he needed to adjust the team to give them a platform.

That may have meant Ashley Cole and Jones at full back just for more of a stable base and balance to the team. Lack of conviction or real vision to his selections.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:24 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Name. On. The trophy.

It was a pretty £#%&!ing good goal though. The scouse @#%&!.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Name. On. the trophy.

Way to dodge my other points. Stupid little boy.

You keep banging that top red drum pal.

One day when you grow up and learn to see beyond your own rampant obsessive point of view, you may be worth having a discussion with.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:25 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mathers
This is the heart of the matter
England has the fewest coaches of the leading European nations and is the most expensive place to get your badges
If those dopey @#%&!s at the FA want to win a World Cup they should target 2034 and start training coaches
Small people, small pitches, small goals and small footballs. No fixed positions, no eleven a side just concentrate on touch, technique, and understanding space
That is all
Your avatar - you poor sod

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It was a pretty £#%&!ing good goal though. The scouse @#%&!.
It was no Sterling hitting the side-netting, tbf.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Doctor Hver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
I don't know of a single manager who could have got the likes of Rooney, Gerrard et all motivated and playing well as a team. Totally disjointed. It's not just the grassroots side, it's the whole approach to international football and the lack of priority it's given. I personally couldn't give a toss, by the way - give me the premier league from August to May over England doing well internationally any day of the week - but it seems blindingly clear that England won't get anywhere until they have a major shift in focus.
England might get change if United has another class of 92 coming through ranks.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

We could have won Euro 96, nqat.

That destruction of Holland remains the best performance by an England team I can remember in my lifetime

(more so than the 5-1 over Germany, which was just a bit of a freak if we are being *totally* honest )

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Neo

Quote:
Way to dodge my other points. Stupid little boy.

You keep banging that top red drum pal.

One day when you grow up and learn to see beyond your own rampant obsessive point of view, you may be worth having a discussion with.
I've been banging it for 15 years, pol. Loud and proud, Utd > England.

Your points weren't worth addressing, tbh. Top goalscorer awards mean £#%&! all. Miroslaverage Klose could potentially become the greatest World Cup goalscorer of all time, ffs.

The England TEAM have achieved nothing on the international stage for half a century, therefore it's no surprise when they fail. It's vvg2c, too.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:34 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Miroslaverage Klose could potentially become the greatest World Cup goalscorer of all time, ffs.
To be honest it's the up itself attitude that thinks that's something to be sneered at that I have most trouble with.
Closed Thread