United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Old 07-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Hyman_Roth

Default Is this the lowest point?

Is this the worst we’ve been since Ferie retired?

I £#%&!ing hope so because it’s diabolical.

Tbh, you’d probably have to go back to 1986 to feel this shit again.

I know we’re in a final but there’s not one sane person on the planet (apart from the edge lords on here), including all the staff at United, that think we’ll win the final. The issue is trying to avoid a humiliation.

Don’t remember us ever being so bad under any other manager. I can’t remember our squad ever being so shockingly bad. For the system and tactics to be so inept.

Erik

Old 07-05-2024, 07:44 AM
believe

Not sure it is, I think the end of Van Gaals tenure was worse. At least with this squad there’s bones to pick at and a couple of decent signings under a decent manager could make it work. Not league title winning work but certainly better than we’re seeing now.

The squad and mentality throughout the club was ten times worse than this. Mourinho managed a quick fix on that so there’s no reason someone of his ilk couldn’t do the same now.

Old 07-05-2024, 07:47 AM
RedNick80

Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, City…

Ask me in 3 weeks

I think the fact that Ineos are in charge makes it slightly less depressing.

Old 07-05-2024, 07:59 AM
Stickman

Yes, id say that it is, but it can get lower still without change.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:03 AM
no fun

The last days of Moyes were pretty grim, but that was magnified due to Frogson still being a very recent memory

Current demise is pretty pretty pretty bad, hope it continues on sunday

Old 07-05-2024, 08:05 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Not sure it is, I think the end of Van Gaals tenure was worse. At least with this squad there’s bones to pick at and a couple of decent signings under a decent manager could make it work. Not league title winning work but certainly better than we’re seeing now.

The squad and mentality throughout the club was ten times worse than this. Mourinho managed a quick fix on that so there’s no reason someone of his ilk couldn’t do the same now.
Really? I remember being bored rigid but I never thought we were that bad. I know we lost that midgetland game but we’ve been largely outplayed all season by every team we’ve played.

The sqad now is dire. Wan bissaka, Luke shaw, Maguire, Varanne, Casemiro, Onana, Antony, that other left back who never plays. Rashford ffs. It’s atrocious.

There's only Nach, Mainoo, Hoijlund, Dalot I’d look to keep and I think we’re in the process of snuffing out any life in them.

It will take many years to recover from this imv. How do we off load Antony for eg? Just massive losses all over the place and FFP playing against us.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:40 AM
Mou Mou Land

73-74 was f****** grim, but we bounced back quite well.

Have we checked whether ETH is £#%&!ging the physio's wife?

Old 07-05-2024, 09:00 AM
tatty

I’m well past being angry about the situation, now I just have a morbid curiosity as I watch the club circling the plug hole.

I’d 100% take relegation next season if it cleaned out the club of the Glazer/Ratcliffe partnership.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:05 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
73-74 was f****** grim, but we bounced back quite well.

Have we checked whether ETH is £#%&!ging the physio's wife?
He was doing but she got rid because he kept getting the positions wrong

Old 07-05-2024, 09:05 AM
shenwen

I remember LVG's last season, around Christmas time, when I thought we had reached a low. In hindsight though, that was perhaps just because we still weren't that far away from Fergie. Likewise, that Ole period with Liverpool, Watford, etc.

But in terms of a full season, this has been the worst in the PL era. Injuries have been bad, but the performances have been worse. Much worse than they should be even with injuries.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:10 AM
Dr Stranger

It’s much of a muchness, but feels very similar to the end point of all the other managers

There’s been points where you feel that it’s too far gone to turn around. Ole’s was the Leicester and Liverpool defeats. LVG was that spell around Christmas where we lost at home to Norwich. Jose was when he started talking about heritage. Moyes was Liverpool at home.

Not necessarily the moment they go, but the point of no return.

I think Erik’s was last night

I don’t think they’ll bin him until the summer, but I think the last month to six weeks has killed any chance of him keeping his job.

And when it gets to this point, it just feels sad. I get angrier when there’s stakes, but when it’s as pathetic and broken as last night, it’s just depressing. I’m sick of seeing good managers come in optimistically and earnest and leave as broken men. Ole came in as a beloved club legend to ‘bring smiles back on faces’ and left in literal tears. Ten Hag is an accomplished coach. He looks like he’s aged ten years in the last six months. No wonder LVG told him to stay away.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:15 AM
redhegemony

It feels as if everything shit is coalescing nothing seems to work and any small grains of hope are rapidly disappearing.

Perhaps now that things are fully out in the open there can be no cover ups. Time for Ragnick's open heart surgery. Maybe we had to get to this point for the revolution to happen.

LvG and Mourinho and also Ole never felt like long term change more just season to season. Clearly that has to stop. Let's hope Ineos have a plan.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:17 AM
Whip Hubley

Time is a great healer and I remember being:

A) bored to tears with LVG (but in hindsight should have had another season)
B) Jose was just pure toxin
C) Ralf lol
D) Ole had just reached the end of his ability

That said, we're in absolute shit state at the moment. I'm probably one of the last 3 people on earth who would give ten hag another season, even though I recognise his position is untenable (geddit?).

If someone said to me he was wholly responsible for the players he's brought in and the money we paid, that would tip me over the edge but I think he's still dealing with the dreggs of the woodward era and all that happened during it. I'm really not thrilled with the thought of Tuchel but here we are.

As someone said above there's about 4 players in the first team squad I'd keep, everyone else is completely expendable. Casemiro should retire in shame after last night, honestly one of the most disgusting performances i've seen from a player of his caliber.

Casemiro

Old 07-05-2024, 09:20 AM
armchair

Post-Fergie, this is the worst it's ever been. I disagree about this squad. It's still better than most squads in the league and better than some who are above us in the table.

We don't look coached at all. Once we went a goal down last night, all the players were just playing off-the-cuff football. We are in absolute disarray.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:21 AM
Parlabane

I was hoping that after getting knocked out of Europe one match a week would see us being better by a combination of

A ) giving some players a break meaning they would be fitter / fresher for the remaining games &

B) more time for the manager to work with the players and get his ideas, tactics and coaching sorted.

If anything we seem to have gotten worse, players look both physically and mentally knackered and the injuries have gone off the scale

Old 07-05-2024, 09:25 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Post-Fergie, this is the worst it's ever been. I disagree about this squad. It's still better than most squads in the league and better than some who are above us in the table.

We don't look coached at all. Once we went a goal down last night, all the players were just playing off-the-cuff football. We are in absolute disarray.
Folk said that after Ole though didn't they, saying the squad is fine and it's all about the management? And when Mourinho left for that matter. Some of these players have survived multiple managers and very few deserved to - Martial, Lindelof, Shaw, Dalot all spring to mind and there's probably more.

Any manager that does come in now will have essentially the same job that ETH had - trying to get a tune out of a lot of players who, for one reason or another, don't want to be here. Or at least, they certainly look like they don't want to be.

We're basically pinning our hopes on INEOS having a club wide clear long term strategy now, something we've not had under this regime.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:26 AM
believe

I’m starting to wonder if any of them are actually injured or just don’t want to play for this manager and his philosophy.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:27 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I’m starting to wonder if any of them are actually injured or just don’t want to play for this manager and his philosophy.
I reckon at least 45 of the current 67 injured players could play through the pain if they really wanted to.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:30 AM
armchair

Quote:
I think a lot of them think his philosophy is naive, so they don't fully commit to it, and that makes everything even worse. That said, his philosophy IS naive.

They see him as some guy managed in a shit league and had one lucky European run.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:37 AM
NedKelly

Lack of balance in the squad has really caught up with us. We’ve spent years loading up on attacking mids and neglected the holding/defensive midfield position. Our fullbacks are just bizarre, and we’ve stockpiled “inverted wingers”. And years of reliance on old centre forwards, coupled with attackers like Greenwood and Sancho just totally £#%&!ing up while they were here; I know Sancho is still technically one of ours but does anyone really believe he’s going to make it here now? I ask that as someone who was a genuine fan of his, and who I still respect from a technical POV.

There was always going to be a crisis point; a rock bottom. Plenty of people have been calling it out for years now. Remember when Valencia was our only right back? Our recruitment and squad building has been woeful.

I still can’t quite believe we signed Mason Mount. A truly baffling acquisition. Whoever is manager next season, it’s imperative we sign one or two holding mids. At this point they don’t even need to be exceptional - just two decent mids and we’d look a lot more cohesive as a team.