United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2007, 08:28 PM
ScarFace

Question Have Teams Ever Tried To Lure Fergie ?

Like Real are now with Rafa/Moureen, i cant remember him ever being linked away.

Did'nt Fergie say that when Roman first bought the renters, they asked if he would leave United ?

Unread 21-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Rossi the Red

I've never read anything linking Fergie with a new job.

Unread 21-03-2007, 08:29 PM
you_are_my_solskjaer

dunno if this counts, but a few years back didn't fergie say he was offered the england job before keegan could be wrong with the manager, but he was defo offered it at one point

Unread 21-03-2007, 08:32 PM
TreeFiddy

I bet many teens have tried to lure Fergie, what with his jock looks and thick accent. Grrrr. Don't think many teams have though.

Unread 21-03-2007, 08:39 PM
ScarFace

I ment whille he was at United.

Maybe they have made low key efforts only to get a firm " no "

Would seem odd if Real etc have'nt, specially with the rate they go through them.

Did'nt Fergie say the only two teams he'd leave scotland for were United and Barca ?

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Lazarus

For many years I think the vibe in the football world has been that he simply isn't interested in leaving United so don't bother.

On the continent they sack you if you park your car in he wrong place ..They'd never give Fergie the time he needs anyway.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:42 AM
MUFC One Love

Speaking of Fergie, if we win the League or more this season he should retire.

Thanks for listening.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:47 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
No, he shouldn't. If nothing else, there's no one better to take his place. As long as he has the hunger and desire for the job, there's no one better to lead United.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Lazarus

Quote:

Thanks for listening.
Why?

I'd much rather give him a few more seasons to tweak this side that's beginning to reach fruition.

The waters are still choppy,I wouldn't want any other captain steering the ship than Fergie.

Besides,it will give people like Keane and Hughesy time to prove if they have what it takes because right now I find it almost laughable they are suggested as immediate replacements - despite the fact I almost ache with sentimentalism to see them in the United dugout

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:52 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
No, he shouldn't. If nothing else, there's no one better to take his place. As long as he has the hunger and desire for the job, there's no one better to lead United.
What's really bugging me is how much better we could have done the past 3 years if he didn't mess about. Also I'm not convinced we have this 'great young' team he speaks off. I'm seriously worried when Scholes and Giggs have gone, our squad isn't young.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:55 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
What's really bugging me is how much better we could have done the past 3 years if he didn't mess about. Also I'm not convinced we have this 'great young' team he speaks off. I'm seriously worried when Scholes and Giggs have gone, our squad isn't young.
I share those concers and have given Fergie plenty of stick for the shite we signed (Ronaldo aside) in the summer of 2003, which really put us back.

However, he's still far and away the best man for the job. The way he's galvanised the squad this year, dealt with the Ronnie/Rooney situation and most of all, the football the team's produced (which started last season really) shows the Boss still has it. No one else in world football I'd rather have in the OT dugout.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Lazarus

Quote:
But that's completely retrograde mate. What matters is how things are now..not mistakes that were made in a difficult,transitional period.

I agree the team isn't particularly young when you remove Rooney and Ronnie but Fergie is the man to replace Giggs and Scholes. His record in the transfer market recently has been superb. We have a fanstastic Vidic and Rio partnership. We have Heinze and Evra battling it out for leftback. We have the superb, underrated (except by you) intelligence of Carrick that has been the key to unlock the chains on our attackers and Scholes.

We have an emerging young,English keeper. Things are good and it's Fergie who is making it so.

Unread 22-03-2007, 12:59 AM
MUFC One Love

I'm worried about our future, despite this season. Even if we won the treble.

I just don't see much in the squad except Ronaldo and Rooney.

Ok;

Foster
Rio
Vidic
Evra
Heinze
Ronaldo
Carrick
Rooney

There players what I'd say could be around for a while and be top class performers. We don't have the funds to bring in another 4-5 good players. I think we'll sign Hargreaves. Who I think will be excellent, we still need a striker and a winger though, and that's just now.

It concerns me a lot.

Unread 22-03-2007, 01:00 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I share those concers and have given Fergie plenty of stick for the shite we signed (Ronaldo aside) in the summer of 2003, which really put us back.

However, he's still far and away the best man for the job. The way he's galvanised the squad this year, dealt with the Ronnie/Rooney situation and most of all, the football the team's produced (which started last season really) shows the Boss still has it. No one else in world football I'd rather have in the OT dugout.
That's what's worrying, look at how good we've done when he's been put under pressure (The Glazers) he knew he couldn't £#%&! about and he's shown he still has it, just what has he been doing for 3 years? Injuries haven't helped, but he's done some daft things like give Carlos the reigns.

Unread 22-03-2007, 01:08 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
That's what's worrying, look at how good we've done when he's been put under pressure (The Glazers) he knew he couldn't £#%&! about and he's shown he still has it, just what has he been doing for 3 years? Injuries haven't helped, but he's done some daft things like give Carlos the reigns.
Oh, I agree totally that he did take it a little too easy. Carlos was given to much power, while Fergie got involved with the Irish, which didn't help. But when things were at there lowest - Keane drama, European Exit, Fergie came back fighting and the team started to play really well. O'Shea and Giggs were a revelation in midfield towards the end of last season.

If he keeps focused on the football, none of the other clowns (except Wenger) managing in england come close!

Unread 22-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Luffy

Forget about the past, it was literally impossible not to have some kind of fallout after you witnessed the most perfect midfield ever assembled.

The reason being you do not want to break up the greatest midfield ever assembled for any reason, even a world class player like Veron.

Therefore anyone new ends up failing to cement a place, and the untouchable 4 get older and older. Hell even Giggs and Scholes are still first choice. Fergie's failings have been very human mistakes - he was simply too loyal. Forget about it, move on.

The team he has assembled now is amazing.

Rio and Vidic are young, they could play for another 6+ years together. Ditto Evra. Amongst the best in the world in their position.

Carrick, Hargreaves - 26

Brown, O'Shea - 24-25?

Rooney, Ronaldo, Fletcher 22-23?

Smith 24-25? Rossi 20

Saha is, 27-28?

to turn it around, the ones who are old are VDS, Giggs, Gaz, Ole and Scholes who are looking at retirement soon and can maybe produce top level football for another season or 2, who knows really.

Unread 22-03-2007, 01:23 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Thanks for listening.
Fergie needed to show us something this season after three pretty dire years. He has. We're having our best ever season - you can say that because we're still in all three competitions, with more points than we had at this stage in 99 and a bigger lead at the top. I can see no reason to change when things are going so well.

United may have Rooney and Ronaldo, but I still feel that we're entering a crucial two-year period for the club. Fergie says we have a young team - we don't. Neville, Scholes, Giggs and van Der Sar will all need to be replaced in the next two years in my opinion, while even Saha and Rio turn 29 this year.

For this reason (and the fact that he rather enjoys his job) I don't think Fergie will leave anytime soon. He recognises that when the time comes it will be an absolutely monumental change for the club, so I think he wants to leave with as many things in place for the new manager as possible. He won't leave with so many players on the verge of finishing.

Lots of people think his plan has been to leave after one more European Cup or one more Premiership. I genuinly think his plan is to leave after fully laying the foundations for the next great side and making the transition onto the next manager as smooth as possible.

Unread 22-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Luffy

yeh I was gonna say I dont think he wants to retire when he wins something big either.

Its about what he's building not what he's winning.

Personally this team has a chance to go on and emulate the team of 68 with the legendary Best, Law, Charlton who all won the player of the year awards etc. They were like galacticos really. this team can be like that with a few more additions.

If I was building a team like this around the two most exciting young players in the world, I'd want to see my vision fulfilled.

Besides One Love, you realise once we lose Fergie we stand to lose many things such as traditions and heritage? Fergie is the last Manager who works in the Man Utd way. We may lose Rooney and Ronaldo as well.

Unread 22-03-2007, 02:31 AM
tatty

I can remember rumours of Ferguson, Giggs and Ince going to Inter Milan in 1992/3ish.

A much more plausable story was the straight swap of Fergie for Venables after the 1996 FA Cup Final debacle.

I said it at the time and I still maintain now that Ferguson should have left after the treble as his reputation could only be tarnished by staying on.

Unread 22-03-2007, 02:33 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I can remember rumours of Ferguson, Giggs and Ince going to Inter Milan in 1992/3ish.

A much more plausable story was the straight swap of Fergie for Venables after the 1996 FA Cup Final debacle.

I said it at the time and I still maintain now that Ferguson should have left after the treble as his reputation could only be tarnished by staying on.
If I had won the treble I'd be looking at a few years of domination tbh. I'm far too ambitious though. If I was Utd manager I would be satisfied until we'd won more trophies than Liverpool and then I'd simply start aiming at Milan, Madrid etc.
Closed Thread