United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:36 PM
HALman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
We're going round in circles antonin and all I can say to summarise is that if Ronaldo played for anyone else i'd loathe him and would be egging my players to dispatch him in to the stand.

I suspect that most reds would quietly agree even if they don't express the opinion.
I'm not so sure - in my office there are a couple of Villa fans, a Birmingam fan, a Stoke fan, and a Coventry City fan. Quite obviously they hate each other...but every Monday morning I can guarantee that the first thing they'll agree on will be when one of them says,

"Did you see Ronaldo at the weekend?"

The reply is usually along the lines of "£#%&!ing awesaome/fantastic/amazing." They'd never admit it to us of course, but they all love to see Ronnie doing his tricks, taking the piss and making average premiership players look shite. They look forward to it. The Villa fans even appreciated it when he played against Villa (1 of them even went). I think the majority of fans admire Ronaldo and just wish he was theirs, and not ours.

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:48 PM
smithers jones

The media just love to play up to this sort of thing as controversy increases viewing figures or press sales. They always need a villain and Ronaldo fits the bill for them, especially after the world cup nonsense.

The thing is, their agenda to keep Ronaldo as the bad boy and willingness to give a voice to idiots like Boateng could ultimately cost United and the Premiership their greatest talent.

Ronaldo does not try and antagonise people by mouthing at them (a la Bellamy, who is constantly seen sniping at defenders as they walk away), he doesn't take the piss after his team have scored (a la Henry when he mocked Kirkland after scoring against him), he doesn't fall to the ground as if shot when in a dispute with opposition players (a la Drogba and Lehmann), and he doesn't get into mad disputes with the ref over decisions which don't go his way (a la Chelsea FC and even or own young Rooney), he appeals for the free kick and then gets up and gets on with it, but he is still portrayed as the bad guy in English Football.

Yes he has gone down easy in the past, but show me a Premiership player who hasn't.

His only real crime is showing what can be done with a football, and unfortunately someone soon will be the "hero" and will injure him badly for committing that "crime".

Remember the other Ronaldo being clapped off the pitch after he tore us to shreds in Europe? It's a pity other Premiership clubs can't show the same class

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Zorg

Talking of Ronaldo, this is how I spent my morning:

[YOUTUBE]Zq4u7k8aqtA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I_edTb9bB8U[/YOUTUBE]

The joys of working from home.

Unread 21-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Istari

"Hopefully, he'll put the crown on too, just like Eric "

My take:

1. He was taking the piss
2. He's brilliant at taking the piss and if it gets a bunch of defensive no-marks wound up because now they actually have to get the ball to try and score, then so much the better.
3. He's too good to get hurt by aforementioned no-marks. He saw Morrison and rode the challenge quite comfortably
4. I hope he keeps at it and that it drives the press, opposition fans and Sky nuts.

Unread 21-03-2007, 05:33 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istari
"Hopefully, he'll put the crown on too, just like Eric "

My take:

1. He was taking the piss
2. He's brilliant at taking the piss and if it gets a bunch of defensive no-marks wound up because now they actually have to get the ball to try and score, then so much the better.
3. He's too good to get hurt by aforementioned no-marks. He saw Morrison and rode the challenge quite comfortably
4. I hope he keeps at it and that it drives the press, opposition fans and Sky nuts.
Good Lad

Unread 21-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Boateng grabs opportunity to get name in papers thats all this artical is about
he's now jumped on the pathetic bandwagon of players left in ronaldo's wake .
he should have took a leaf out of woodgates book but he hasn't got the class.

Unread 21-03-2007, 07:58 PM
legendary saf

Belgian keeper targets Ronnie

By ANDREW HAIGH
March 21, 2007

BELGIUM have threatened to crock Cristiano Ronaldo in the first two minutes of their clash with Portugal.
Manchester United ace Ronaldo has tormented Premiership defences and scored 18 goals this season.

But Belgian keeper Stijn Stijnen has revealed his side's shocking plans to stop the Portuguese winger on Saturday.

Stijnen wants his team-mates to take Ronaldo out of the game in the opening exchanges of the Euro 2008 qualifier.

He said: "After two minutes, we should have beaten him up so much he would have been stretchered off the pitch.

"What more do we need to do? Portugal have more quality so we have to handle things our way.

"If we try to play like them, we will lose for sure."

Despite his outrageous claims, the Club Brugge stopper was unrepentant when he had the chance to apologise.

Stijnen added: "I do not find my words shocking. We are the visiting team and we have to make the match go our way.

"I do not mean that Belgium have to break the leg of somebody.

"But we do have to be aggressive and we have the players for this."

SCUM
Closed Thread