United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:24 PM
PeakyBlinder

Post Finishing outside of the top four again...

If we fail to reach the Champions League again next season (I think we will but anyway), what do people forsee happening at the club? Would LvG walk or be pushed? Will we be able to afford to spend heavily in the transfer market for a second successive summer? Would we lose a few of our top players such as David de Gea, Di Maria etc?

I know it's a fairly open ended question but genuinely interested in what people think could happen come pre-season and beyond. It's not out of all realms of possibility that we slip to fifth (however unlikely)...

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:28 PM
TheFatGoth

Is this a school project you're doing?

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:31 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Is this a school project you're doing?

Not at all.

I do not take pride in being a doomlord but this is, potentially, the most important four months in the history of the club for various reasons, and a few slips could be incredibly costly in the long term.

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:33 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder

Not at all.

I do not take pride in being a doomlord but this is, potentially, the most important four months in the history of the club for various reasons, and a few slips could be incredibly costly in the long term.
Jesus £#%&!ing christ.

Ginners

Mr_Ed

I see is finishing in the top four. Hth

Switching Off

is top 4

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:34 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:

Not at all.

Being?

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
I £#%&!ing knew it.

Unread 14-01-2015, 12:47 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Being?
Ok, maybe that was a slight over exaggeration but not making the CL for two successive seasons would be pretty catastrophic. On a playing and commercial side. Especially with the new Adidas deal lined up with the no CL clause in it (albeit it would have to be three seasons without CL football for that to kick in).

Unread 14-01-2015, 02:06 PM
MJ Ramone

considering the money spent, the pedigree of our new manager & the revenue the Club generate I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs that we're not challenging for the Title, never mind clinging on to 4th spot.

People talk about giving LVG the benefit of the doubt because he's had to "implement his own philosophy" ... it's not rocket science ffs , some of the results & performances have been rotten.

No excuses.
Finishing outside the top 4 would be an unacceptable disaster.

Unread 14-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
If we fail to reach the Champions League again next season (I think we will but anyway), what do people forsee happening at the club? Would LvG walk or be pushed? Will we be able to afford to spend heavily in the transfer market for a second successive summer? Would we lose a few of our top players such as David de Gea, Di Maria etc?

I know it's a fairly open ended question but genuinely interested in what people think could happen come pre-season and beyond. It's not out of all realms of possibility that we slip to fifth (however unlikely)...
It's January ffs.

Unread 14-01-2015, 02:19 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's January ffs.
Quite. Six months in and we're playing hideous football.

Unread 14-01-2015, 02:54 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
considering the money spent, the pedigree of our new manager & the revenue the Club generate I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs that we're not challenging for the Title, never mind clinging on to 4th spot.

People talk about giving LVG the benefit of the doubt because he's had to "implement his own philosophy" ... it's not rocket science ffs , some of the results & performances have been rotten.

No excuses.
Finishing outside the top 4 would be an unacceptable disaster.
Lvg's defence counsel on here keep referring to it all being a 'process' because lvg is apparently the first manager in history who requires time, and quite a bit of it, to implement his own style. Fair enough but their refusal to accept that some improvements should by now be being realised is a tad galling given how quick critisism has been forthcoming in the past. some of the substitutions and positional instructions for some of our players is equally baffling but again, it's just part of the 'process'.

The issue that gets me though is the lack of logic in lvg introducing a system that the current playing staff seem either ill equipped or incapable of performing. There simply isn't any point in introducing a system that doesn't work even if theoretically it's the right system to adopt. Get the players you need or shape the current lot appropriately before you introduce it ffs.

People talked about us being capable of winning the league this season. Given the stumbling that the top two are capable of - that's undoubtedely true - but not a chance if we continue to play like we have been doing or use a system that seemingly strangles our inventive players.

I'm still an lvg advocate and my critisism is simply that, it's not a call for his head ffs. But I might start referring to the dropped 'tony hart's Morph' headed @#%&! in more derogatory terms if it doesn't improve.

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Ethers

I understand people criticising him, that's fair enough, even if I don't agree with much of it. But insisting that absolutely no improvements have been made is bizarre.

We're fourth in the table despite a horrific injury crisis. Have performed well in every big game we've had, with a couple of notable wins. Ignoring the football, we clearly look more of a team than we did last year, despite the press' recent attempts at stirring shit.

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:26 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I understand people criticising him, that's fair enough, even if I don't agree with much of it. But insisting that absolutely no improvements have been made is bizarre.

We're fourth in the table despite a horrific injury crisis. Have performed well in every big game we've had, with a couple of notable wins. Ignoring the football, we clearly look more of a team than we did last year, despite the press' recent attempts at stirring shit.
I've said elsewhere that the real positive aspect is the belief amongst the players. The results are more than decent too - I'm just slightly surprised we've got them playing like we have.

I think that I really expected us to kick on a bit now in terms of the quality of our play ) he's had the players for a decent amount of time now (injured or not) but it's gone a bit backwards if anything. Hopefully a blip but I remain unconvinced that some of players that I've never really seen perform that well for three managers now are going to suddenly going to become the players lvg wants and needs to play his system. Evans, smalling and jones are shit and the system emphasises their shitness. It doesn't make sense.

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:28 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

I wouldn't disagree with that mate, although I don't think we've improved aesthetically if I'm being honest.
Also (don't think I've made this point before) I won't be able to believe in Van Gaal while he continues to use Fellaini as a £#%&!ing out-ball. It's not good enough.
I'll be patient with his philosophy if it was hinting at pure & total Football, but it's so untidy & unconvincing. The long-ball final throw of the dice is soul destroying too.

7 points from our 4 games against Liverpool, Chelsea, City & Arsenal isn't bad. 4points from our 3 games with Southampton & Spurs could be better.
Some of the other results have been £#%&!ing shite tbf

It was always going to be like this post-Fergie to a certain extent but I do think we could have handled the whole thing much better.
No excuse for United going trophy free for 3-4 years with all the resources at their disposal.
I just wanna see good Football though.

I moaned throughout Fergie's reign because I enjoy it, so I'm hardly likely to stop now

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Lvg's defence counsel on here keep referring to it all being a 'process' because lvg is apparently the first manager in history who requires time, and quite a bit of it, to implement his own style. Fair enough but their refusal to accept that some improvements should by now be being realised is a tad galling given how quick critisism has been forthcoming in the past. some of the substitutions and positional instructions for some of our players is equally baffling but again, it's just part of the 'process'.

The issue that gets me though is the lack of logic in lvg introducing a system that the current playing staff seem either ill equipped or incapable of performing. There simply isn't any point in introducing a system that doesn't work even if theoretically it's the right system to adopt. Get the players you need or shape the current lot appropriately before you introduce it ffs.

People talked about us being capable of winning the league this season. Given the stumbling that the top two are capable of - that's undoubtedely true - but not a chance if we continue to play like we have been doing or use a system that seemingly strangles our inventive players.

I'm still an lvg advocate and my critisism is simply that, it's not a call for his head ffs. But I might start referring to the dropped 'tony hart's Morph' headed @#%&! in more derogatory terms if it doesn't improve.
The thing is, it's not even theoretically the right system to adopt. It's far too slow for this league, which is why nobody uses it.

I don't doubt his knowledge of the game or coaching skills at all, but I very much doubt his choice of system/tactics. I just wish he would put his big balls on the table and play attacking football instead of this awful shit the bed stuff.
I still have hope he will go back to a 4 if he gets a right back he can trust fitness or quality wise, but when he declares he's only missing Young and still plays 3 it's a bit worrying.

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Harri Jaffa

Think he'd be more confident of more attacking football if we had one decent defender tbh

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I've said elsewhere that the real positive aspect is the belief amongst the players. The results are more than decent too - I'm just slightly surprised we've got them playing like we have.

I think that I really expected us to kick on a bit now in terms of the quality of our play ) he's had the players for a decent amount of time now (injured or not) but it's gone a bit backwards if anything. Hopefully a blip but I remain unconvinced that some of players that I've never really seen perform that well for three managers now are going to suddenly going to become the players lvg wants and needs to play his system. Evans, smalling and jones are shit and the system emphasises their shitness. It doesn't make sense.
Can't argue with that. I do wonder if part of the reason he's stuck with the system is because we had pretty decent unbeaten run, and he was reluctant to bin it off even though we've never really looked comfortable with it.

If anything good comes out of Sunday, it should surely have given him a bit of impetus to shake things up a bit. Be that ditching three at the back, or changing how we're set up going forward.
Closed Thread