United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:50 AM
AK14

Problem with Shaw is it’s not just one game

We’ve been here before and even when he’s ‘back to his best’ he’s average and many posters have fatty tinted glasses on.

Why he struggled so much with Saka is a shock, especially considering not that long ago he spent 8 weeks training with the kid… it’s not like he was up against the unknown.

His better games this season have been at LCB.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
He looked £#%&!ed physically, as did a lot of the team tbf. Won’t write him off after one game when he’s been brilliant for the majority of the season.
Exactly. Saka is an absolute handful too, one of the most difficult players in the league to defend against. I don’t think there’s huge shame in struggling against him.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:52 AM
AK14

He didn’t just struggle he got absolutely rinsed.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:52 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Awful performance from ‘Shawberto’ yesterday

Saka had him on toast all game

No way would Malacia have had that much of a problem.
You clearly forgot the match earlier this season at OT

Saka rinsed Malacia a number of times albeit he improved in the last quarter of the game

Shaw isn’t great against quick direct wide players but let’s be honest atm very few left backs could cope with Saka

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:53 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
You clearly forgot the match earlier this season at OT

Saka rinsed Malacia a number of times albeit he improved in the last quarter of the game

Shaw isn’t great against quick direct wide players but let’s be honest atm very few left backs could cope with Saka
Better than what Shaw managed then

Thanks for reminded me.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:59 AM
The taste of...

He’s improved nqat

That prancing touchline legoheaded @#%&! got him booked on demand don’t forget. He was always having to be cautious with Saka after that

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:59 AM
jem

Quote:
tripe.

you hate shaw. but don't make shit up. saka played well. shaw should have stuck much closer to him (arguably, he should have had more help from the midfield, too). but malacia has not shown that he would have done better or he would have been playing. it would be easier to take your shawbleats if you had a balanced view, instead of just waiting (like dunk with de gea) to stick the boot in.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:01 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
He’s improved nqat

That prancing touchline legoheaded @#%&! got him booked on demand don’t forget. He was always having to be cautious with Saka after that
He didn’t get booked until late on iirc

It was Arteta himself that was booked when he acted like a @#%&!.

I like the lad as a back up CB but at full back I’ve seen his weak and lazy arse get turned inside out one too many times over the last few years.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:03 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
tripe.

you hate shaw. but don't make shit up. saka played well. shaw should have stuck much closer to him (arguably, he should have had more help from the midfield, too). but malacia has not shown that he would have done better or he would have been playing. it would be easier to take your shawbleats if you had a balanced view, instead of just waiting (like dunk with de gea) to stick the boot in.
argumentum ad verecundiam

I think Shaw might be better suited to centre back. Doesn't have to run as much and his substantial mass makes up for his lack of height.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:05 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
tripe.

So we agree he was poor yesterday…

That’s good enough for me.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Quote:
this is a comment without foundation, a statement of opinion which seems moulded to fit the desired argument, rather than being supportable standing on its own.

shaw is never a cb, incidentally. I like shaw, but I would only ever say he can play there if we are desperate.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:14 PM
History

Quote:
Awful performance from ‘Shawberto’ yesterday

Saka had him on toast all game

I must of been watching a different game. The midfield offered no protection to the full backs at all.

Sakas goal came from Eriksen not closing down (aswell as being robbed on the edge of the box)

3rd and 1st came from the opposite side of the pitch.

He had trouble yes, but I don't think awful performance. Arsenal were clearly overloading the wings leaving the full backs with an awful lot of men to cover, Eriksen is just not capable of covering the ground to protect.

It was hard work and a good plan by arsenal tbh. Can't just sum it up by saying awful performance by a particular player. I thought apart from AWB tendency to fall asleep the back 4 played ok tbh. Had zero protection from what was infront of them however

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:22 PM
dunk

Yep. Rashford offered no support to Shaw, as he was staying high for any counter attacks. Eriksen lacks the athleticism to get out to Saka quick enough to double up, and even when they did White or the other RB were there to support. Left Shaw with little option but to back off as if he stepped to him and Saka passed him we were completely exposed. Ideally he’d have been closer and snapped into him a bit, but difficult when Odegaard tends to be that side too, Xhaka also drifts that way, huge overload.

The Scottish Player was just shit.

Antony did a lot of work tracking back and supporting AWB tbf to him.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:26 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
I must of been watching a different game. The midfield offered no protection to the full backs at all.

Sakas goal came from Eriksen not closing down (aswell as being robbed on the edge of the box)

3rd and 1st came from the opposite side of the pitch.

He had trouble yes, but I don't think awful performance. Arsenal were clearly overloading the wings leaving the full backs with an awful lot of men to cover, Eriksen is just not capable of covering the ground to protect.

It was hard work and a good plan by arsenal tbh. Can't just sum it up by saying awful performance by a particular player. I thought apart from AWB tendency to fall asleep the back 4 played ok tbh. Had zero protection from what was infront of them however
He stood off Saka and allowed him the freedom of the emirates whether they overloading the wings or not.

He wasn’t helped by Eriksens inability to cover and get out but that shouldn’t excuse Shaw for allowing Saka all the time in the world. On multiple occasions he was on skates with saka backing him into the penalty area, that’s not down to poor protection or cover, that’s down Shaw being poor one v one.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
He stood off Saka and allowed him the freedom of the emirates whether they overloading the wings or not.

He wasn’t helped by Eriksens inability to cover and get out but that shouldn’t excuse Shaw for allowing Saka all the time in the world. On multiple occasions he was on skates with saka backing him into the penalty area, that’s not down to poor protection or cover, that’s down Shaw being poor one v one.
That’s down to him protecting the space behind him. Saka wants to get to the byline and pull it back, a la 90% of City and Arsenal’s goals. Shaw wasn’t letting him do that. He maybe backed off, but he wants Saka still, in front of him with the ball, not past and behind him, all he can do is stop Saka going where he wants and make it as difficult as he can to play a pass/cross, it’s up to the people behind him to make sure Saka has no options. He possibly could’ve been more aggressive, but chances are Saka would’ve got past him at least once or twice, dragging Martinez out and creating the space in the middle Arsenal craved.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:39 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That’s down to him protecting the space behind him. Saka wants to get to the byline and pull it back, a la 90% of City and Arsenal’s goals. Shaw wasn’t letting him do that. He maybe backed off, but he wants Saka still, in front of him with the ball, not pst and behind him, all he can do is stop Saka going where he wants and make it as difficult as he can to play a pass/cross, it’s up to the people behind him to make sure Saka has no options.
He did it multiple times, that’s the problem. Saka is a very good player obviously, but shaws lack one v one defending made him look like prime messi. Shaw was overly cautious and passive yesterday, which he often is when playing against wingers similar to Saka.

He also had his struggles with Olise midweek

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:40 PM
dunk

Can’t recall Saka getting in behind him tbh. The problem you’re alluding to is Shaw backing off and keeping Saka in front of him.

I don’t recall anybody in the defence struggling with anyone from Palace tbh, the whole issues there was distribution and keeping the ball. Palace created £#%&! all.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:42 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

I think Shaw might be better suited to centre back. Doesn't have to run as much and his substantial mass makes up for his lack of height.
He's apparently 6'1" (he's not is he).

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:43 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That’s down to him protecting the space behind him. Saka wants to get to the byline and pull it back, a la 90% of City and Arsenal’s goals. Shaw wasn’t letting him do that. He maybe backed off, but he wants Saka still, in front of him with the ball, not past and behind him, all he can do is stop Saka going where he wants and make it as difficult as he can to play a pass/cross, it’s up to the people behind him to make sure Saka has no options. He possibly could’ve been more aggressive, but chances are Saka would’ve got past him at least once or twice, dragging Martinez out and creating the space in the middle Arsenal craved.
That’s the risk but as one of the best left backs in the league (apparently) you’d expect him to back himself and take that risk, not let Saka have it all his own way for the full 90 minutes.

Which is exactly what Malacia would have done.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
He's apparently 6'1" (he's not is he).
According to who? Liars?

Quote:
That’s the risk but as one of the best left backs in the league (apparently) you’d expect him to back himself and take that risk, not let Saka have it all his own way for the full 90 minutes.

Which is exactly what Malacia would have done.
I think it was a bit of both tbh. Shaw was too passive, but he was horribly exposed on several occasions, as was AWB. Arsenal do overload those flanks well though. Very City-esque. They’re pretty relentless when they get on top of you and I thought they pinned us back well in that last ten minutes. Shit goal to concede, but we were hanging on.
Closed Thread