United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Thumbs up luke shaw (the good one)

hats off, fair play etc. in great form this season. had pretty much written him of but since euros last summer and all this season, he's been right at it.

excellent cameos at CB again (could see him here later in career) and last night pitching for a centre mid spot.

up there for player of the season for me Clive...

Unread 04-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Hyman_Roth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
hats off, fair play etc. in great form this season. had pretty much written him of but since euros last summer and all this season, he's been right at it.

excellent cameos at CB again (could see him here later in career) and last night pitching for a centre mid spot.

up there for player of the season for me Clive...
Nailed on cass for poty atm.

Fair play to sweet cheeks - was possibly mom last night despite doing that square to Maguire back to shaw back to Maguire back to shaw thing an awful lot.

He needs to keep this going though - he’s one of those players who has a good month or two and then drops off again. Never that bad to be publicly called out but not good enough either. Fortunately we now have a manager who can surely spot that type of shit.

Full marks so far though.

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:26 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Erik knows...

Quote:
“Now, also with his mentality. He’s an example of how to win big games. I’m really happy with his development. It’s been huge either at centre-half or left full-back. He’s a great player and a great personality for the dressing room.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football...in-a-row-derby

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Joe Biden

Martinez will do well to win his place back

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:38 AM
MUFC One Love

Luke Maldini.

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Martinez will do well to win his place back
maybe, maybe not...

Quote:
Ten Hag said it was a difficult call to field the 27-year-old at centre-back in the 2-1 derby victory. “It is a big decision but when you analyse the profile of Haaland and the combination with De Bruyne it was also the right decision because Luke has the physical power to compete with them and has the tactical view to make the right decision and technical skills to play in that position,” he said.

“It matched really well but in other games he can contribute even more on the left in the wide positions, so it’s a tactical choice and we can see from game to game what we need.

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Dr Stranger

Fair £#%&!s to the little chonk, he’s had a really good season so far and the move to centre back has been inspired. Necessary at first, but now a genuine option there id happily have in ahead of our £80m club captain.

Handled the Derby really well and it’s allowed Malacia to get more minutes. Doesn’t have to be an either/or with those too.

I still expect to see Martinez back in there more regularly, but it’s been a move none of us saw coming and it’s proof of ETH’s tactical acumen. The clever bald bastard.

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:51 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Fair £#%&!s to the little chonk, he’s had a really good season so far and the move to centre back has been inspired. Necessary at first, but now a genuine option there id happily have in ahead of our £80m club captain.

Handled the Derby really well and it’s allowed Malacia to get more minutes. Doesn’t have to be an either/or with those too.

I still expect to see Martinez back in there more regularly, but it’s been a move none of us saw coming and it’s proof of ETH’s tactical acumen. The clever bald bastard.
he's played there before Erik (and played well there tbf) can't remember if it was under Ole or Jose

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Whip Hubley

he was immense on saturday and has looked fantastic since he was dropped and brough back in at the start of the season.

hopefully we get a really good 4-5 seasons out of him now. would make up for the previous 5.

Unread 18-01-2023, 11:58 AM
Ethers

Ole played him in the middle when he experimented with a back 5, but I don’t remember him playing in a 2.

Unread 18-01-2023, 12:05 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Ole played him in the middle when he experimented with a back 5, but I don’t remember him playing in a 2.
I think that was against city aswell. He played a handful of times in the back 5 as a CB.

The (good) problem now is, we lose out on his attacking ability when he plays at LB. I think long term he still is the full back and the butcher can come back in. Having a dilemma of where to play a player because he is playing so good in multiple positions are the kind of dilemmas I want to have at United.

Although what do people think? Does ETH start shaw as CB against Arsenal?

Unread 18-01-2023, 12:35 PM
jem

ffs... shaw is perfectly capable of filling in at cb, but... if everyone is fit... he's a lb.

Unread 18-01-2023, 12:39 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I think that was against city aswell. He played a handful of times in the back 5 as a CB.

The (good) problem now is, we lose out on his attacking ability when he plays at LB. I think long term he still is the full back and the butcher can come back in. Having a dilemma of where to play a player because he is playing so good in multiple positions are the kind of dilemmas I want to have at United.

Although what do people think? Does ETH start shaw as CB against Arsenal?
Play the hot hand. Keep him in there until he gives you a reason not too. Martinez doesn't look anywhere near up to speed i the games he's featured since the WC. Malacia deserves more minutes as well.

Unread 18-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
ffs... shaw is perfectly capable of filling in at cb, but... if everyone is fit... he's a lb.
He didn’t give haaland a sniff. He’s played well the previous times he’s played at CB. It’s hardly a stretch to consider him playing him there again when he’s clearly on form and malacia also played well.

It’s not like I’m asking Valencia to play in CM

Unread 18-01-2023, 01:10 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
He didn’t give haaland a sniff. He’s played well the previous times he’s played at CB. It’s hardly a stretch to consider him playing him there again when he’s clearly on form and malacia also played well.

It’s not like I’m asking Valencia to play in CM
perhaps you misunderstood. I'm not suggesting it is a stretch to play shaw at cb (although some of the requirements might be a stretch), but rather that he is needed as a lb. if martinez is fit, we don't need shaw to fill in there. we don't have a better lb, though.

valencia wasn't a rb. he was a midfielder who played rb. you aren't making yourself look smarter or funnier by mentioning him.

Unread 18-01-2023, 01:53 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
valencia wasn't a rb. he was a midfielder who played rb. you aren't making yourself look smarter or funnier by mentioning him.
TBF I laughed

Unread 18-01-2023, 04:07 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

The Vindication of L-Sheezy.

Never in doubt.

And a small select few of us never doubted.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:36 AM
AK14

Awful performance from ‘Shawberto’ yesterday

Saka had him on toast all game

No way would Malacia have had that much of a problem.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:41 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Awful performance from ‘Shawberto’ yesterday

Saka had him on toast all game

No way would Malacia have had that much of a problem.
I’ve criticised shaw loads over the last few years. It’s his first bad game this season. He gets a pass. Players will have bad games. It’s how he responds now.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:46 AM
NedKelly

He looked £#%&!ed physically, as did a lot of the team tbf. Won’t write him off after one game when he’s been brilliant for the majority of the season.
Closed Thread