United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:29 AM
magic_cantona

I dont hate him but he should've gone after the Villareal final. Been good for us but its like hanging onto a bird that cheats on you in the hope she won't do it again. Get rid ASAP.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:29 AM
AK14

Caused problems yesterday but let’s not pretend like the first goal wasn’t the fault of that doofus at right back.

Dave needs upgrading obviously but we also need better and smarter players at full back and I’m including that fat fraud at left back too.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:34 AM
Ethers

AWB was obviously at fault for the goal, but it’s not even just about culpability for conceding goals.

There were loads of occasions yesterday where his awkwardness on the ball hampered our play, and instead of putting us in a solid position to start an attack, it ended up with our players playing hot potato with the ball and then gifting the initiative back to arsenal. Not to mention his kicking. £#%&! me.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:35 AM
anxious63

poor defensively yesterday de gea apart from his shot stopping creates instability in the defence , never moves for crosses his mobilty and distribution is appalling, i think ETH can see this surely and hopefully soon he will be removed, really should have left when Madrid were in for him

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:35 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I dont hate him but he should've gone after the Villareal final. Been good for us but its like hanging onto a bird that cheats on you in the hope she won't do it again. Get rid ASAP.
WHY COS HE COULDNT TAKE A PENALTY

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
WHY COS HE COULDNT TAKE A PENALTY
Probably because he couldn’t save one

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:38 AM
believe

Jem nailed it. The passing out from the back has been the way we’ve played for about two years and it’s the way most teams in the league play from what I’ve seen. Why it’s become a thing I’ve no idea because I can’t see one positive from it, it’s almost like putting yourself under pressure the minute you get the ball

In a list of problems in the squad I’d probably put de Gea somewhere between 20th and 25th.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Dr Stranger

I think he’s actually improvised his kicking….but it’s still not up to par. It’s just not his style. He’s a fine shot stopper (unless the shot is weak then he hates it) but he’s a passive, reactive goalkeeper and always has been.

Big saves don’t make up for this. In the same way that a striker scoring goals doesn’t mean they can’t hold back a team’s general play.

I think he’s working hard and trying to improve, but he isn’t an ETH keeper. There are bigger problems and priorities, but he’ll be replaced eventually.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
AWB was obviously at fault for the goal, but it’s not even just about culpability for conceding goals.

There were loads of occasions yesterday where his awkwardness on the ball hampered our play, and instead of putting us in a solid position to start an attack, it ended up with our players playing hot potato with the ball and then gifting the initiative back to arsenal. Not to mention his kicking. £#%&! me.
I fully get playing out the back but when we had a few nervy early moments just go long to hit weggy for 15/20 mins and see the pressure out.

Feel like we still have numbskulls at the club. ETH isn’t a dictator . He’s said in previous interviews they should go long when we are pressed high. I’m sure he wouldn’t have gone crazy after the first #@&%! up that we can go long for 15/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I think he’s actually improvised his kicking….but it’s still not up to par. It’s just not his style. He’s a fine shot stopper (unless the shot is weak then he hates it) but he’s a passive, reactive goalkeeper and always has been.

Big saves don’t make up for this. In the same way that a striker scoring goals doesn’t mean they can’t hold back a team’s general play.

I think he’s working hard and trying to improve, but he isn’t an ETH keeper. There are bigger problems and priorities, but he’ll be replaced eventually.
They’re offering him a new contract pal. I don’t want him here but you don’t have a 200k a week keeper on the bench

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:43 AM
AK14

De Gea being indecisive and poor with the ball at his feet, causing the back four problems shocker

He’s always been like it which is why we haven’t attempted it as much after the first few games of the season. No idea why we changed it up for yesterday tbh.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:49 AM
Ethers

Neville mentioned a few times yesterday that Arsenal were playing a higher line than us, which give them much more space to play in and around our midfield. What he didn’t say is that the reason we’re scared to push up any further is because we’re scared to with De Gea in goal, it’s another massive weakness of his.

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:55 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you don't even have to look back a week to see how he saved us from losing.
Whoops went back a week or so earlier

Unread 23-01-2023, 11:57 AM
dunk

Unhappy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Quote:
Neville mentioned a few times yesterday that Arsenal were playing a higher line than us, which give them much more space to play in and around our midfield. What he didn’t say is that the reason we’re scared to push up any further is because we’re scared to with De Gea in goal, it’s another massive weakness of his.
All of the above.

The other reason we’re trying to play out is because his kicking is so £#%&!ing woeful anything long just presents the ball back to the opposition, and they know it. It all adds up to increasing the pressure on the back line and allowing the opposition to push on. Then we drop deeper and deeper as he retreats to his line and doesn’t instil any confidence in his defence.

He’s happy enough to be facing shots anywhere in the 18 yard box as if he saves it he’s a hero if it goes in there’s nothing he could’ve done

He has fantastic reactions and is generally good positioning wise, but he’s £#%&!ing slow across his line and gets welded to the near post, plus all of the above. Then there’s the flicking his feet out in 1v1’s, or at near post shots and not covering across the goal. The whole package just isn’t very good at all.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:06 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
Whoops went back a week or so earlier
pretty sure we won that game. the shot was deflected, too.

look... we all know de gea's limitations. his proactive work on crosses is much worse than his distribution. but the criticism is generally rather silly. anyone who leaps to blame de gea for us losing to arsenal is stretching it. again.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:09 PM
ZiggyStardust

He’s had a decent season but if he’s our starting goalie next season then I’ll be pissed

ETH is all about purging the weakness from this side and he’s one of the biggest ones left
Won’t command his area, can’t sweeper keeper and is nervous as a kitten with the ball at his feet

Couldn’t give a £#%&! how good his shot stopping is as that is the bare minimum I expect of a keeper

If we don’t move on from him and get a keeper who can command his area, sweeper keeper it and play comfortably from the back then we’re not going to compete for the league next season

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:10 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you don't even have to look back a week to see how he saved us from losing.
does that excuse him being a large part of the reason we lost yesterday...?

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:14 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
He’s had a decent season but if he’s our starting goalie next season then I’ll be pissed

ETH is all about purging the weakness from this side and he’s one of the biggest ones left
Won’t command his area, can’t sweeper keeper and is nervous as a kitten with the ball at his feet

Couldn’t give a £#%&! how good his shot stopping is as that is the bare minimum I expect of a keeper

If we don’t move on from him and get a keeper who can command his area, sweeper keeper it and play comfortably from the back then we’re not going to compete for the league next season
Bosnich;
Taibi;
Barthez;
Goram;
Carroll;
Howard.

Careful what you wish for.

Maybe we can buy Alisson when the dippers finish 7th

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
pretty sure we won that game. the shot was deflected, too.

look... we all know de gea's limitations. his proactive work on crosses is much worse than his distribution. but the criticism is generally rather silly. anyone who leaps to blame de gea for us losing to arsenal is stretching it. again.
From the off de Gea had us on the back foot due to his shit distribution and dithering. He massively helped Arsenal right through the game and made 1 save.

The occasional mistake from a keeper is one of those things and is the nature of the position. Being so inept at the basics is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Bosnich;
Taibi;
Barthez;
Goram;
Carroll;
Howard.

Careful what you wish for.

Maybe we can buy Alisson when the dippers finish 7th
At least Barthez could kick it. Howard was as good as Dave shot stopping too.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
does that excuse him being a large part of the reason we lost yesterday...?
leaving aside the fact that he was not a large part of the reason we lost yesterday....

whatever his shortcomings (and even his most ardent admirers... if he has any... would have to accept that they exist), he makes saves that others wouldn't and is overall a very decent keeper. however, any mistake he makes is jumped all over (same as akers does with shaw). it's just silly. we know what he does well and what he does not so well. you can predict the "ffs, de gea", even when it is actually someone else's fault. it's hard to be balanced when you are rabid like dunk.

Unread 23-01-2023, 12:19 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
leaving aside the fact that he was not a large part of the reason we lost yesterday....

whatever his shortcomings (and even his most ardent admirers... if he has any... would have to accept that they exist), he makes saves that others wouldn't and is overall a very decent keeper. however, any mistake he makes is jumped all over (same as akers does with shaw). it's just silly. we know what he does well and what he does not so well. you can predict the "ffs, de gea", even when it is actually someone else's fault. it's hard to be balanced when you are rabid like dunk.
I’d argue it’s hard to be balanced when you are so blinded by run of the mill saves tbh.
Closed Thread