United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 14-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Bunker Buster

Convince the glazers to stay ? Better the (red) devil you know.....

Unread 14-01-2023, 11:17 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
well he’s making an offer based upon the valuation of a club in the champions league

he might make a lower offer if we don’t qualify
Possibly, considering they, and we, want any deal done long before that is decided though, what's the point?

Unread 14-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Arnold Muhren

‘Part financed’? £#%&! off. The blagging yonner should be buying Oldham Athletic instead.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Jim Ratcliffe needs to £#%&! off tbh.
He’s certainly making sure people know his name

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Samurai
He’s certainly making sure people know his name
Cracking publicity for him nqat.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
So now Ratcliffe, a United fan with the club at heart isn't enough? He's hardly going to be in on his own either.

I thought with proper owners not taking billions out of the club then we would be able to sufficiently compete?

I understand we've been shit for a decade but letd just chuck our morals out the window eh?
I’m with you.

People want us to be owned by a Middle East foreign sports washing state? Just because city and Newcastle are.

Embarrassing.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:32 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I’m with you.

People want us to be owned by a Middle East foreign sports washing state? Just because city and Newcastle are.

Embarrassing.
I don’t think a nobody wants it but it’s a necessary evil, it’s just the way the game has gone. All the pontificating over fan ownership or a single United fan buying it for his love of the game is just fairytale stuff these days.

Best thing to do is embrace. Would you rather win the league and European cup every other year owned by Dubai or continue like we are? 20 years ago I’d have said I was with you but Eid take Saudi, Halaand and a European Cup trophy over any nostalgia I might have.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:35 PM
dunk

My preference would be for the state ownership to be squashed and something akin to the German model be introduced. Have every club operating on their own merits and producing their own players. Not going to happen though, is it?

I don't see the point in us getting Ratcliffe in and being proud in 4/5th every year. £#%&! them all, get us the richest owner and let them all bitch and moan until it forces the perfect scenario because they hate to see us win.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:38 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I’m with you.

Embarrassing.
Absolutely.

I can understand it somewhat given how desperate for success the last decade or so has made us, but the thought of being owned like that lot just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and I can’t fully get onboard with it.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I don’t think a nobody wants it but it’s a necessary evil, it’s just the way the game has gone. All the pontificating over fan ownership or a single United fan buying it for his love of the game is just fairytale stuff these days.

Best thing to do is embrace. Would you rather win the league and European cup every other year owned by Dubai or continue like we are? 20 years ago I’d have said I was with you but Eid take Saudi, Halaand and a European Cup trophy over any nostalgia I might have.
It’s all about being realistic here. We are a club that it going to cost whoever buys us the best part of 6 billion dollars. Then you add onto that our debts, the fact the stadium needs revamping and the squad needing constant investment, the only realistic option is either a Middle Eastern state or a tech billionaire like Musk. That’s about it.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It’s all about being realistic here. We are a club that it going to cost whoever buys us the best part of 6 billion dollars. Then you add onto that our debts, the fact the stadium needs revamping and the squad needing constant investment, the only realistic option is either a Middle Eastern state or a tech billionaire like Musk. That’s about it.
It's a £10bn outlay over the next 5 years, or thereabouts, on a business that makes £40-50m a year in profit when things are going well, but demands that profit is reinvested. It's mental rich owners or a very tough few years imo.

Unread 14-01-2023, 12:58 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I’m with you.

Embarrassing.
If you had a choice of The Glazers, another Glazer clone, someone with not enough money to compete leading to us being in the footballing wilderness for decades (or forever) or a middle Eastern buyer, which would you choose?

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:04 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
If you had a choice of The Glazers, another Glazer clone, someone with not enough money to compete leading to us being in the footballing wilderness for decades (or forever) or a middle Eastern buyer, which would you choose?
How much money do you need to compete though? Hate to do this, but look at Liverpool. They’ve spent money sure, but nothing compared to City. They’ve just spent it well. We’ve spent far more, but spent it poorly, and had the wrong people in charge.

The idea that throwing money around is the only way to get success these days isn’t quite right imo.

If we had someone who could spend money to the same level we have done over the last decade, then there’s no reason we couldn’t go on to be very successful in my view. Not sure exactly what figures Big Jim has in mind, but I can’t imagine the plan is to come in and spend even less money.

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:04 PM
puressence

Nice have had 5 managers since he took I’ve Jim

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:07 PM
dunk

It’s not the prepared to throw money about as such, it’s having someone for who being the best is the only concern. Every appointment is the absolute best it can be and will be upgraded as soon as it can be. Ruthlessness. We’ve seen the Glazers not do that as they’ve always been more concerned with paying debts and cutting costs etc.

Stadium build on the horizon and we’ve seen the constraints that put on Spurs and Arsenal, I think we’d all like to avoid it.

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
I’m with you.

Embarrassing.
Where else do you turn? Anyone who buys us has to be a billionaire. There’s not a billionaire out there who isn’t a #@&%!head in some shape or form. They’re all assholes. There are no “nice , clean” billionaires. Corruption is rife wherever there is money.

Likes of apple or nike or whoever. Without getting too political, your phones are made by children in sweatshops. Same as your clothes etc. every corporation /rich person out there has exploited humans and is exploiting humans. It’s shitty and in an ideal world it never happens . But it does.

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:10 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
How much money do you need to compete though? Hate to do this, but look at Liverpool. They’ve spent money sure, but nothing compared to City. They’ve just spent it well. We’ve spent far more, but spent it poorly, and had the wrong people in charge.

The idea that throwing money around is the only way to get success these days isn’t quite right imo.

If we had someone who could spend money to the same level we have done over the last decade, then there’s no reason we couldn’t go on to be very successful in my view. Not sure exactly what figures Big Jim has in mind, but I can’t imagine the plan is to come in and spend even less money.
I agree with that, I'm just not liking the soundbites being put out about Ratcliffe/CL qualification and of he has enough money.

When I say enough, I mean to rebuild the stadium, pay off the debt and be competitive. If he can do all that, I'd 100% take him over anyone else. If he can't, I'd take anyone that can.

I don't want Middle Eastern owners but I want the club to be elite again and not a laughing stock. I don't want Phil Foden to be the most successful British Premier League player ever, I want us to stop that shite.

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:23 PM
Hyman_Roth

My point was more pouring scorn on those slagging big Jim off. I can’t see how he can possibly compete. He’ll be putting forward a bid based on a sound financial model whereas the Middle East don’t care about that.

I would much prefer to have a united fan from this country own the most prestigious sports club in the world. As ethers said, it would be hard to compete but certainly not impossible. City and Newcastle’s model relies on the Middle East countries not getting bored - it’s a stupid way to run any sporting institution.

They’re tin pot clubs with no provenance that no one gives a shit about. Allowing united to be owned by some American shopping centre owners was a £#%&!ing disgrace. If there’s an opportunity to improve the standard of ownership of united then I’d like to think we’d support it. United fans slagging Radcliffe off. £#%&!ing hell

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:25 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
My point was more pouring scorn on those slagging big Jim off. I can’t see how he can possibly compete. He’ll be putting forward a bid based on a sound financial model whereas the Middle East don’t care about that.

I would much prefer to have a united fan from this country own the most prestigious sports club in the world. As ethers said, it would be hard to compete but certainly not impossible. City and Newcastle’s model relies on the Middle East countries not getting bored - it’s a stupid way to run any sporting institution.

They’re tin pot clubs with no provenance that no one gives a shit about. Allowing united to be owned by some American shopping centre owners was a £#%&!ing disgrace. If there’s an opportunity to improve the standard of ownership of united then I’d like to think we’d support it. United fans slagging Radcliffe off. £#%&!ing hell
Other than him being a fan what’s Radcliffe done for the club? Fans don’t owe him shit. He’s rich , a United fan and is interested in buying the club. Making it out like it’s choosing between wanting Liverpool to win the league or Leicester. Why should we have any loyalty to Radcliffe?

Like I said, if it’s a case of morality , every billionaire is on the wrong side of it

Unread 14-01-2023, 01:58 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I agree with that, I'm just not liking the soundbites being put out about Ratcliffe/CL qualification and of he has enough money.

When I say enough, I mean to rebuild the stadium, pay off the debt and be competitive. If he can do all that, I'd 100% take him over anyone else. If he can't, I'd take anyone that can.

I don't want Middle Eastern owners but I want the club to be elite again and not a laughing stock. I don't want Phil Foden to be the most successful British Premier League player ever, I want us to stop that shite.
I think he's just saying that the club has a completely different value if we don't make Champions League. That has a massive ripple effect on the value of sponsors, attractiveness to players and investors. He's clearly correct.

Similarly, it would be easier to attract investors in building a new stadium if we're in the Champions League, for example. They're not daft wanting to sell now rather than risking waiting to find out where we finish but no doubt they will be pissed off that Jim has effectively called them out on it.