United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:09 AM
King Julian

Default MUFC = Liverpool circa 1984

And I dont mean that as a compliment

The unthinkable has happened . Utd have become boring. Grinding out results thru possession football.

Its honestly like watching liverpool in the early to mid 80's .

Honestly I can't stand to watch another borefest like last night . Sure theres the odd avalanche of goals but on the whole tedium.

This is not the Utd I love .

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:17 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Angry Re: MUFC = Liverpool circa 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Julian

The unthinkable has happened . Utd have become boring. Grinding out results thru possession football.

Honestly I can't stand to watch another borefest like last night . Sure theres the odd avalanche of goals but on the whole tedium.

Man the £#%&! you massive wet blanket. I suppose you are thinking back to the glory days of the mid to late 90s and thinking about the champagne football we used to play? Well take off your rose tinted glasses because we played boring shite for half of those days too, wars of attrition ending in a 2-0 scoreline after catching the opposition on the break after we went ahead through a scrappy tap in from a goal line scramble and they streamed forward.

Barca are always on sky if you want soft football

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:18 AM
BarryX

Default Re: MUFC = Liverpool circa 1984

Quote:

I know what you mean, King. BUT as the saying goes - you can't have your cake and eat it...

If we can get number 19 this season, that's surely all the matters. £#%&! the pretty football. £#%&! the big name signings (which we haven't been in for recently anyway). And £#%&!, the £#%&!ing Diaz brothers. Let's get 19 whatever it takes, with Ferguson in charge, and then prey the transfer pot gets some proper backing this summer. What He's done in spite of the lack of backing from the Glazers, is nothing short of miraculous - imagine what would he could do with a couple of hundred million without the need to seek value.......

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:19 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Man the £#%&! you massive wet blanket. I suppose you are thinking back to the glory days of the mid to late 90s and thinking about the champagne football we used to play? Well take off your rose tinted glasses because we played boring shite for half of those days too, wars of attrition ending in a 2-0 scoreline after catching the opposition on the break after we went ahead through a scrappy tap in from a goal line scramble and they streamed forward.

Barca are always on sky if you want soft football
Exactly. I think alot of people can only remember the last 3 games they watched.

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:27 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Exactly. I think alot of people can only remember the last 3 games they watched.
It's hardly been a vintage season for Utd, though. There's only been a handful of games when it felt like we were playing to the best of our abilities, the Utd way so they say....

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:30 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
It's hardly been a vintage season for Utd, though. There's only been a handful of games when it felt like we were playing to the best of our abilities, the Utd way so they say....
I know.

Unread 24-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:

Wellin' up here Jules la'

Unread 24-02-2011, 11:39 AM
dunk

I fear you have all conveniently forgotten our prowess away from home, and performances, between 2004 and 2006. I don't think we won once and were utter £#%&!ing £#%&!.

Like it or not, we are in transition and are bumbling along.

It's £#%&!ing painful though

Unread 24-02-2011, 11:42 AM
andyroo

Like we were saying yesterday dunkers, you'd be a lot more tolerant of the current malaise if you could see it as a genuine transition, rather than a kind of hope-this-will-do shrug. But as long as the Glazers are there, it looks like this is as good as it's ever going to get.

Only hope some of these kids are up to it.

Unread 24-02-2011, 11:46 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Like we were saying yesterday dunkers, you'd be a lot more tolerant of the current malaise if you could see it as a genuine transition, rather than a kind of hope-this-will-do shrug. But as long as the Glazers are there, it looks like this is as good as it's ever going to get.

Only hope some of these kids are up to it.
I think the transition is going to be to youth, and the youth just aren't quite ready yet. The loss of form of Carrick and Fletcher and the injuries to Valencia, Hargreaves and now Park have hamstrung us somewhat. If there had been another attacking wide option available last night, it probably would've meant a different set-up.

For all the abuse he gets for being too one-dimensional, there were times last season when similar performances were rescued by a bit of drive and good delivery from Valencia and it's something we have missed a lot, particularly away from home.

Out of interest, how old and how many appearances did Fletch have when he suddenly appeared on the RW against Deportivo (I think) at OT?

Unread 24-02-2011, 01:05 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Wellin' up here Jules la'

cheer up 'julian', there's always fc

Unread 24-02-2011, 01:15 PM
King Julian

this season has not been good at all , I'd much rather go out in blaze of attacking glory than play 4 5 1 at home and win one nil

seesm to me that the flair has dissappeared for utd .

very very bored with UTD this season

I know what your saying about the 19th one an all that but FFS can they not attack a bit £#%&!ing more

Unread 24-02-2011, 02:42 PM
MagnificentSeven

as long as we get 3 points and eventually win silverware then i'm not fussed how we go about it

Unread 24-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

not sure about picking out 1984, but it was definitely verminesque last night -
neal to jones to hughes to clemence to jones to hughes to kennedy... to neal to clemence to thompson to jones...

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:24 PM
red in cumbria

Well, if the thread starter is right, we should be producing some of our best football EVER mid-decade - even I will admit, though it is £#%&!ing gutting to do so, that the Liverpool side circa 1988 was a fantastic team. We just have to avoid falling off the cliff edge a couple of years later, in that case

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:42 PM
HarkNowHear

Nah, the shorts arent as tight. You could tell the religion of an eighties footballer via his shorts.

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Mr_Ed

Didn't they win the European Cup in 84... There's no way on god's earth we're going to!

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:57 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Didn't they win the European Cup in 84... There's no way on god's earth we're going to!
If the Liverpool side of 2005 can........

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
5 wins 2 draws and 1 goal conceded so far (forgot that brilliant 0-0 game we kicked off with)

oshea to schmaling to vidic to vds to vidiv to vds to vidic to schmaling to oshea...

Unread 24-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
If the Liverpool side of 2005 can........
Exactly. It's cup football, the best team doesn't always win it.
Closed Thread