United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 23-11-2022, 02:07 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/...2XPMPAmOGp2gTA

This is what happens when politicians build a career on nothing but empty slogans.
Bloody hell, a Tory MP making a good, humane argument, and what's more he's the MP I didn't vote for

Love her "would anybody else like to say something (because I'm making an arse of myself here)" plea

Unread 23-11-2022, 10:56 PM
Big Norm

Omg.

Unread 23-11-2022, 11:33 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm View Post
And shes just the tip of the iceberg. A large percentage of tory MPs made huge sums from the pandemic.

Unread 23-11-2022, 11:52 PM
The taste of syphillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm View Post
OmgÖÖÖ. Youíre f***ing surprised???

Unread 24-11-2022, 01:16 PM
redhegemony

The sums are eye watering- licensed theft of public money- enabled by the Government to give to its friends.

And the denials and covering up...it feels as if we have become a country where corruption and unethical behaviour have become normalised.

Unread 24-11-2022, 01:19 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
The sums are eye watering- licensed theft of public money- enabled by the Government to give to its friends.

And the denials and covering up...it feels as if we have become a country where corruption and unethical behaviour have become normalised.
That's the plan. For it to become so common that no one cares anymore.

Unread 24-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Looking from over here it seems like that's already happened.

Unread 24-11-2022, 02:16 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Thatís what perplexes me the most. Surely everybody should be keen on fit and proper standards in public office? Itís not a party political thing. Itís incredible that decent tory voters arenít calling this out even if they have to put up with a bit of shit for voting for them in the first place. I realise decent and Tory is an oxymoron or at least it is now - but it wasnít always the case.

This government have lowered standards more than any other before it and no one seems arsed - everyoneís consumed with defending their party political position to avoid embarrassment.

Menkle.

Unread 24-11-2022, 02:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
This government have lowered standards more than any other before it and no one seems arsed - everyoneís consumed with defending their party political position to avoid embarrassment.
would be terrible, if true.

Unread 24-11-2022, 02:33 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Thatís what perplexes me the most. Surely everybody should be keen on fit and proper standards in public office? Itís not a party political thing. Itís incredible that decent tory voters arenít calling this out even if they have to put up with a bit of shit for voting for them in the first place. I realise decent and Tory is an oxymoron or at least it is now - but it wasnít always the case.

Menkle.
I assume you mean the various tory(led) governments we've had since 2010? Because if you're just talking about under Sunak's stewardship I'd say you're way wide of the mark

It's all down to voter disengagement. Most people don't want to have to think about politics overly much and don't really care what goes on in Westminster so long as they can get their Sky TV, a decent WiFi signal and a couple of weeks on the Costa Del Sunburn every year*. If you make politics look a bit shit, and can trick people into thinking "they're all as bad as each other" then they will just vote along traditional lines, or whatever the newspaper headlines tell them to do and think that they live in democracy.

Massive over generalisations there of course, but most people would have a list of a few must haves beyond which they don't much give a shit.

Unread 24-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
would be terrible, if true.
Link to any Tory calling this shit out in the press?

At least youíve stopped banging on about Starmer all the time whilst Rome burns - admittedly only when it was pointed out to you thatís all you did.

ĎIím only going on and on about starmer because I want a better oppositioní.

Unread 24-11-2022, 02:54 PM
My Name is Heath

We're a high tax. low public service dump.

NHS sucks.

State schools are getting worse.

and one thing that the Tories stand for and is well within their control...stopping Johnny Foreigner......is getting worse.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cs-reveal.html

Throw in stealing key staff from overseas as we can't train enough of our own....it's a dump.

Unread 24-11-2022, 04:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Link to any Tory calling this shit out in the press?

At least youíve stopped banging on about Starmer all the time whilst Rome burns - admittedly only when it was pointed out to you thatís all you did.

ĎIím only going on and on about starmer because I want a better oppositioní.

I haven't stopped talking about starner. I would not stop talking about anything because you pointed something out (because it would almost certainly be nonsense). and I never said what you "quoted". apart from that, spot on. as usual.

Unread 24-11-2022, 04:29 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
I haven't stopped talking about starner. I would not stop talking about anything because you pointed something out (because it would almost certainly be nonsense). and I never said what you "quoted". apart from that, spot on. as usual.
Roth always makes a lot of sense, without having to jump through 16 hoops to do it

Unread 24-11-2022, 04:42 PM
redhegemony

There has always been a degree of corruption but post 2010 its the unashamed nature of it. Cameron and Greensill Hancock and the pub landlord. They don't give a shit because they don't see it as wrong.

Starmer could really capture the mood by promising reform of the whole government system. Abolishing the House of Lords a good start. End paid jobs for MPs beyond voluntary charity work and make that compulsory.

If you want to see how appalling our lobbying system is keep an eye out for Reforms to the Gambling Act

Unread 24-11-2022, 05:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off View Post
Roth always makes a lot of sense, without having to jump through 16 hoops to do it
makes sense to people who agree with him, sounds like the sort of thing I'd do based on how many times he's said something similar, no need to check the facts? that kind of thing?

it's just a lie and easily demonstrated as such.

knock yourselves out, though, forensic fan club.

Unread 24-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
makes sense to people who agree with him, sounds like the sort of thing I'd do based on how many times he's said something similar, no need to check the facts? that kind of thing?

it's just a lie and easily demonstrated as such.

knock yourselves out, though, forensic fan club.
Well if youíre right then itís quite the achievement for you to be so misunderstood so often by so many.

AnywayÖthe toriesÖ

Worried that I might be going off topic a bit but you are one so hopefully allís good.

Unread 24-11-2022, 07:46 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

The game is the inculcation of the idea that 'they are all the same' to depoliticise people and imbue them with the idea that it's TINA and just try and make do on your own, when did that ever work? British society is falling apart at the seams......

Unread 24-11-2022, 07:49 PM
redhegemony

And Gove misleading people about his role...