United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up Official statement on G & G from FC United

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/jstory.php?s...=400&width=740

Green and Gold Campaign

FC United offers its support to the Green & Gold Campaign aimed at unifying United supporters. The campaign, organised by no one group nor owned by any one section of support, has grown over the last two weeks as awareness of the true implications of the takeover of Manchester United has escalated.

The wearing of Green & Gold attire is intended to provide a public, tangible demonstration of the depth of feeling and provides a direct link to our, commonly shared, Newton Heath roots and has undoubtedly caught a mood.

Many have argued that the only realistic method of protest is one of full and total boycott. For those that made that painful sacrifice in 2005 and received criticism for doing so, it is an understandable reaction. However we did not seek the moral high ground five years ago, and we should not aim to occupy it now. Whether to boycott or not has always been down to individual choice and continues to be exactly that, however IMUSA were correct this week to state that the only real solution is to starve the Glazers of cash.

FC United is a proud bulwark against the travesty of the takeover, but we do not exist as a virtuous island. Our priorities are to continue to build our football club as an example of how we believe all clubs should be constituted; our short term aim is to establish our own stadium, in the longer term we will continue to campaign for wider supporter-ownership across football as we firmly believe that the only sustainable model of ownership is just that. We intend to place FC United at the very centre of that debate.

If we are going to affect significant long term change in the game then it is more important than ever that we maintain our own course to show that there is an alternative model to the instability of clubs which do not involve supporters at their heart. We must continue to help build a broad alliance of fans and interested parties in the wider game and we should encourage those better placed than us to tackle the issues at Old Trafford by giving them our support.

FC United remains as an alternative for fans seeking refuge from the excesses of the Premier League and we continue to be a major part of the visible resistance to the Glazers and the general mismanagement of football. Without the reforms we have campaigned for there will be no long term sustainable solution.

Everyone at FC United remains committed to what we set out to do especially now as we move closer to our own stadium. Our business plan for the stadium has been submitted to the city council and we expect to have a meeting with them in the next few weeks to discuss the next stage.

As we stated in our founding manifesto we will continue to ‘address the concerns which many Manchester United fans have had over the last decade or more with how the club and football have developed, culminating in the club’s takeover by Malcolm Glazer’.

FC United stands as a proud alternative for those disenfranchised supporters

The 2005 manifesto also stated ‘we have ambitious and long term plans’ and we remain resolute in our determination to deliver them.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM
El Chalten

wrong forum.

nft.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chalten
wrong forum.

nft.
Oops

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
neworder

About £#%&!ing time.

They should have supported this from the get go. Not 2 weeks later

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder
About £#%&!ing time.

They should have supported this from the get go. Not 2 weeks later
It wouldn't matter what they say or when they say it because someone will whinge at whatever they do no matter what.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Jack Duckworth

looks just like a press release stating how noble fc united are, with a token mention of the g&g campaign thrown in to gain more publicity.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
El Chalten

10 pages and at least 1 banning.

knock yourselves out.

see ya.

nft.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
looks just like a press release stating how noble fc united are, with a token mention of the g&g campaign thrown in to gain more publicity.
To be fair, that's how I read it.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
redloner

It was better this not be seen as involving FC United at the outset. Some United would have seen that as a negative and may even have campaigned against the Green & Gold idea.

I'm a United fan campaigning for the Glazers to go, not an FC fan campaigning for the Glazers to go.

Green & Gold means we can unite despite our disparate interests and past Glazer actions.

We're all trying to achieve the same objective...

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
However we did not seek the moral high ground five years ago, and we should not aim to occupy it now
Not sure this line can be repeated many more times without more people realising that that is basically exactly what the original protesters are doing. The language is all about "We told you so" as if somehow the worst case scenarios of the bond document are actually a manifesto that proves all raft of bizarre and fantasical 2005 doom claims to have been true. It isn't.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Zorg

Quote:
£#%&! off Jack.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
The language is all about "We told you so"
No it isn't. Hth.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
forzagarza

Same old waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa

Just £#%&! the whole thing off and let the club go bust.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
waynes ear's

will they be selling green and gold scarfs with the fc badge on them on the website?

elephantstone wants one

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
redloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
somehow the worst case scenarios of the bond document are actually a manifesto that proves all raft of bizarre and fantasical 2005 doom claims to have been true. It isn't.
No. That's because all the things we thought they could do before, they were actually prevented from doing by covenants in the debt documentation. Now, the bond prospectus tells us what they CAN do and it includes all the things we were worried about in the first place.

Stripping out £100m to pay down debt is the first such instance.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloner
It was better this not be seen as involving FC United at the outset. Some United would have seen that as a negative and may even have campaigned against the Green & Gold idea.

I'm a United fan campaigning for the Glazers to go, not an FC fan campaigning for the Glazers to go.

Green & Gold means we can unite despite our disparate interests and past Glazer actions.

We're all trying to achieve the same objective...
with respect, we're not though, are we? if glazer goes, are all fc's fans going to abandon them and come back to united?

i've got respect for anybody who stopped going to watch us in protest to the takeover, but going on to set up/support a new team was not the way to go about it.

i'm not trying to have a go for the sake of it and i don't want to get into a slanging match with anybody about it again because it changes nothing, but it's just how i feel.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
£#%&! off Jack.
mate, it's how it reads to me. no wum or offence intended, but aside from the opening two lines, the rest of it is just telling us about fc, not the g&g campaign.

if it was an essay, i'd fail it for not being relevant to the title

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
redloner

Quote:
with respect, we're not though, are we? if glazer goes, are all fc's fans going to abandon them and come back to united?

i've got respect for anybody who stopped going to watch us in protest to the takeover, but going on to set up/support a new team was not the way to go about it.

i'm not trying to have a go for the sake of it and i don't want to get into a slanging match with anybody about it again because it changes nothing, but it's just how i feel.
But it makes no difference. I wasn't going to be at Old Trafford, so what difference does it make where I've been spending my Saturday afternoons. I've never rubbed anyone's nose in it, or suggested I'm in any way superior, or anyone's choice, if different, was inferior.

I'll now do everything I can, as a United fan, to help get rid of the Glazers and if we're successful I might go back to Old Trafford, or I might not. It's my choice. Like everyone else has exercised theirs, of their own free will, over the last five years.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
redloner

FWIW and I think Zorg will agree, a blog Andy Walsh wrote for the FC members site would have been better put in the public domain rather than this rather #@&%!ly "official" offering.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:
mate, it's how it reads to me. no wum or offence intended, but aside from the opening two lines, the rest of it is just telling us about fc, not the g&g campaign.

if it was an essay, i'd fail it for not being relevant to the title
Ok sorry, I thought you were messing about.

The thing is, FC are damned if they do and damned if they don't here. I've read quite a few people recently asking 'why aren't FC doing anything?', 'where are FC in all this?' and 'why don't FC have a green and gold away kit?'. Then, when they release a statement supporting the green and gold idea, they get people accusing them of self-publicity. It really is remarkable.

In any case, in accusing it of saying 'how noble FC are', I don't think you're reading it properly, to be quite honest. The reason it's not a detailed account of the G & G campaign is because this isn't FC's campaign. Basically, this statement is saying 'we support it, but our philosophy and our position on football in general is still the same as five years ago'.

"FC United is a proud bulwark against the travesty of the takeover, but we do not exist as a virtuous island."