United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:20 AM
borsuk

Exclamation bomb attacks at united's hotel (united not yet there)

minimum nine killed dozens injured, tour may be cancelled

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Man Utd tour at risk after blasts

Sir Alex Ferguson and his squad arrived in Malaysia on Friday

Manchester United's four-match Far East tour is in jeopardy after bomb blasts hit the Indonesian hotel they were due to stay in on Monday.

The squad arrived in Kuala Lumpur ahead of their match against a Malaysia XI but their clash with an Indonesia All Star side has been cancelled.
At least nine people were killed and 48 injured in the attacks in Jakarta.

The Premier League champions are also lined up for two friendlies in South Korea and China.

A United statement said: "Following the explosions in Jakarta - one of which was at the hotel the team were due to stay in - and based on advice received, the directors have informed the Indonesian FA that the club cannot fulfil the fixture in Jakarta on the 2009 Asia tour."

Monday's match in Jakarta had been a 100,000 sell-out with the club now having to decide how to reorganise the tour.

"We are working on a revised itinerary outside Indonesia with the promoters and we will make a further announcement when these decisions have been made," the statement added.

"We are deeply disappointed at not being able to visit Indonesia and thank the Indonesian FA and our fans for their support. Our thoughts go to all those affected by the blasts."

New signing Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were among a 22-man squad that flew out from Manchester to Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:24 AM
MUFC One Love

Hopefully the full tour is cancelled, load of £#%&!ing £#%&!. They must have knew the security wasn't great in Indonesia yet they still planned on going, the club is money mad.

Pointless tour tbh. The club would be far better off going on a European tour playing good opposition.

wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
minimum nine killed dozens injured, tour may be cancelled
£#%&!in hell - just listening to that on the news - never realised thats where they were going to stay. Horrendous news.

Withers

Mondays match has been cancelled.

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Albert Tatlock

these £#%&!ing scousers will stop at nothing eh ?

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:32 AM
SilverSurfer

The Indonesian Super League XI, due to face United on July 20, was staying at the Marriott and only missed the explosions because players were training at the time, said Azwan Karim, media officer for the Indonesian Football Association.

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:40 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Hopefully the full tour is cancelled, load of £#%&!ing £#%&!. They must have knew the security wasn't great in Indonesia yet they still planned on going, the club is money mad.

Pointless tour tbh. The club would be far better off going on a European tour playing good opposition.
spot on

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:

100,000 sell out just for that match. Perhaps 20,000 official scarves or shirts or whatever sold... quite a cash generating opportunity, and let's be honest we need the cash.

So yes, I agree for footballing reasons we should have been on a european tour, but for revenue opportunities they're where they should be.

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:52 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
100,000 sell out just for that match. Perhaps 20,000 official scarves or shirts or whatever sold... quite a cash generating opportunity, and let's be honest we need the cash.

So yes, I agree for footballing reasons we should have been on a european tour, but for revenue opportunities they're where they should be.
i get the impression that at least half of the shirts and memorabilia sold over there will be snide shit, like the cheap printed stuff you get at spanish/greek holiday resorts

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
i get the impression that at least half of the shirts and memorabilia sold over there will be snide shit, like the cheap printed stuff you get at spanish/greek holiday resorts

reported

Unread 17-07-2009, 06:56 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
reported
what for

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:10 AM
mark o

They will move it somewhere else, too much money is at stake.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:12 AM
BarryX

£#%&!ing hell. bet the players are in a bit of shock at this news.

at the end of the day any city in the world could be a potential for these crazy terrorists, but it does seem they can operate and move around a lot more freely in these Asian and Muslim countries and 'brand United' is always going to be a possible target.

surely a bad idea to risk touring anywhere in that neck of woods for the forseeable.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:13 AM
borsuk

i don't have a problem with these tours. as a starter for pre-season it's fine, easy opposition, away from the crap that goes on in the media here, takes the lads away together to get team spirit going. most of the sides in the far east are more technical than physical in style as well, which is ideal. let them come back to europe for a tougher game or two once they've got some easy matches in their legs.

and, for all the scorn on here, there's nothing wrong with supporters on the other side of the world having a chance to see the lads. i've met a fair few asian football fans and they are very often a long way from the stereotype korean teenager who has ronaldo shampoo but doesn't know who george best is. very often their knowledge of the team and its history would put some on here to shame. nobody on here would think an english fan of, say, boca or corinthians laughable if they really knew their stuff and were genuinely knowledgeable about their team. a lot of the looking down the nose at asian (or wherever) fans is just silly stereotyping imo.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:18 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i don't have a problem with these tours. as a starter for pre-season it's fine, easy opposition, away from the crap that goes on in the media here, takes the lads away together to get team spirit going. most of the sides in the far east are more technical than physical in style as well, which is ideal. let them come back to europe for a tougher game or two once they've got some easy matches in their legs.

and, for all the scorn on here, there's nothing wrong with supporters on the other side of the world having a chance to see the lads. i've met a fair few asian football fans and they are very often a long way from the stereotype korean teenager who has ronaldo shampoo but doesn't know who george best is. very often their knowledge of the team and its history would put some on here to shame. nobody on here would think an english fan of, say, boca or corinthians laughable if they really knew their stuff and were genuinely knowledgeable about their team. a lot of the looking down the nose at asian (or wherever) fans is just silly stereotyping imo.
I admire your positive thinking around United mate, but you're such an MUFC apologist

You and Throb leading the way

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:24 AM
borsuk

Quote:
I admire your positive thinking around United mate, but you're such an MUFC apologist

You and Throb leading the way
£#%&! off

the tour is obviously about making money, nqat, but the point is any game, in europe or anywhere else, is going to be about making money. it's not like a pre-season game against bayern or juve is not going to be commercial, is it.

i was just having a go at the prejudice against asian fans. as i said, i've worked with a lot of people of different nationalities and obviously talk about united if they're into football and i think some of the stereotyping is well ott.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Ashley's Grime

Glazer will do anything for money, including risking the players lives. No way they should have gone there anyway, New Zealand were due to play in Indonesia and were advised to cancel over security fears.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:42 AM
In 76 now this is true

In a way, cancelling games gives in to what the terrorists want, but you have to assess the overall risk. Over the last few years there have been several security threats against Old Trafford and players and these all get assessed on an individual basis. Whilst the risk in the Far East is high, there is a risk in the UK as events such as 7/7 have showed.
The terrorists have won in Pakistan with the cricket games getting moved.

These games are all about breaking into new upcoming markets, most of which are in volatile areas.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
Glazer will do anything for money, including risking the players lives. No way they should have gone there anyway, New Zealand were due to play in Indonesia and were advised to cancel over security fears.
So we didn't tour the Far East before the Glazer takeover.

Unread 17-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
So we didn't tour the Far East before the Glazer takeover.
Al Quieda weren't attacking sports teams then were they? Remember the Sri Lanka cricket team getting attacked?
Closed Thread