United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Potters done a good job at Brighton but I feel he is one of those managers that gets more plaudits than he should. He has t won anything with them yet and there’s one thing to achieve the things he has at Brighton with the lack of expectation and pressure there, another at a bigger club which expects to compete.

I hope he does get the Chelsea job and we get to see if he can sink or swim but it would most likely go to Pochettino
Bit harsh

He's done amazing with Brighton, definitely deserves a look in at bigger clubs. Whether he can translate overacheiving with Brighton to success at a bigger club is another question, but he fully deserves a shot at a bigger job with what he's done at Brighton.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Clive Woodward
bowing to him: "sir clive"

No one really knowing who he is

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:47 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
What should he have won?

Maybe the one of the two cup competitions he’s in every year? I’m not saying he SHOULD have won a trophy by now. Im saying the really good managers win things. He hasn’t. He is maybe a good manager but it’s hard to tell until he gets to a team that has expectations of winning trophies or does it so himself at Brighton

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:47 AM
Bunker Buster

Exclamation

Potter should have won a cup

This guy......

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:48 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Part of being a good manager is about what you achieve with regards to winning trophies leagues etc. like I said he’s he’s a good job at Brighton but it’s hardly the second coming of Ferguson . If he does get the Charles job we will get to see what he’s really made of .

There’s a difference in managing Brighton and managing Chelsea. Different expectations, pressures etc

I’m always sceptical of “smaller” team managers being praised for doing good jobs but not winning anything. He has done a good job for Brighton but it would be a different kettle of fish if he gets the Chelsea job.
As we saw with Moyes, did a good job at Everton, absolutely not suited to the expectations at United.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:49 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Potter should have won a cup

This guy......
Can you read? I literally said I’m not saying he should have won a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
As we saw with Moyes, did a good job at Everton, absolutely not suited to the expectations at United.
This is literally all I’m saying, until he wins something or is given a job at a club with serious expectations of winning it’s hard to tell if he really is a good manager or a big fish in a small pond

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:50 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Maybe the one of the two cup competitions he’s in every year? I’m not saying he SHOULD have won a trophy by now. Im saying the really good managers win things. He hasn’t. He is maybe a good manager but it’s hard to tell until he gets to a team that has expectations of winning trophies or does it so himself at Brighton
You mean those cup competitions that were both won by Liverpool last season?

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:50 AM
Ethers

Quote:

This is literally all I’m saying, until he wins something or is given a job at a club with serious expectations of winning it’s hard to tell if he really is a good manager or a big fish in a small pond
You replied to the question “what should he have won?” With “maybe one of the 2 cup competitions he’s in every year” ffs

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:51 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
So what did the line about him not having won a cup mean?

Also, they'll deffo go for Poch

Dr Stranger

Quote:

So by that logic, you can’t be a really good manager unless you manage a big club?

Bunker Buster

Quote:
Maybe the one of the two cup competitions he’s in every year?
This you yeah ?

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
You replied to the question “what should he have won?” With “maybe one of the 2 cup competitions he’s in every year” ffs
Yes as in there is the possibility of him winning cups. It’s not as if he doesn’t have a chance .

As in it’s not like it’s impossible for him as he is in no cup competitions

Quote:
So by that logic, you can’t be a really good manager unless you manage a big club?
Or win things.

Name me a really good manager who hasn’t managed a big club OR hasn’t won a single trophy ?

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:54 AM
sweetleftfoot

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Dr Stranger

Everton are a much bigger club than Brighton. They’re the kind of club I’d expect him to leave Brighton to go to.

It’s Brighton ffs. They’re famous for having an old DJ as their biggest fan and they’re name after a chip-stealing @#%&! of a bird. You could line up 5 of their players and about 2% of the footballing world would be able to name them, including Fatboy Slim.

There’s more to being a good manager than winning the league cup on penalties.

Quote:
Yes as in there is the possibility of him winning cups. It’s not as if he doesn’t have a chance .

As in it’s not like it’s impossible for him as he is in no cup competitions

Or win things.

Name me a really good manager who hasn’t managed a big club OR hasn’t won a single trophy ?
Graham Potter.

Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
So what did the line about him not having won a cup mean?

Also, they'll deffo go for Poch
As in it’s hard to tell if he’s good. If he had won a cup with Brighton you can go and say ok he’s taken a team to the pinnacle of the competition .

I’m not saying he should have , I’m saying you can’t argue that if a manager is good or not if he had won a trophy.

He hasn’t, so there’s still an air of uncertainty to him until he either takes Brighton to a cup (or even regularly in the Europa league) or he manages a big club and wins things there.

silv

Quote:
Everton are a much bigger club than Brighton. They’re the kind of club I’d expect him to leave Brighton to go to.

It’s Brighton ffs. They’re famous for having an old DJ as their biggest fan and they’re name after a chip-stealing @#%&! of a bird. You could line up 5 of their players and about 2% of the footballing world would be able to name them, including Fatboy Slim.

No chance of him going to Everton. They're a circus. A big step up would be Newcastle who appear to have resources but are being run in a sustainable fashion.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:57 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Part of being a good manager is about what you achieve with regards to winning trophies leagues etc. like I said he’s he’s a good job at Brighton but it’s hardly the second coming of Ferguson . If he does get the Charles job we will get to see what he’s really made of .

There’s a difference in managing Brighton and managing Chelsea. Different expectations, pressures etc

I’m always sceptical of “smaller” team managers being praised for doing good jobs but not winning anything. He has done a good job for Brighton but it would be a different kettle of fish if he gets the Chelsea job.
Don't think he would take it, he's flying where he is, leave to jump into that frying pan, don't see it, Imagine he has his eye on the England job for his next jump, when it comes up.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:57 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

Graham Potter.
It’s all subjective at the end of the day, if getting Brighton 9th makes you a good manager then fair enough that’s your barometer.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:58 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
No chance of him going to Everton. They're a circus. A big step up would be Newcastle who appear to have resources but are being run in a sustainable fashion.
That was just in reference to the Moyes comparison. Moyes consistently got Everton to around 5th-8th. Which is where a club of their size should be.

Brighton should be battling it out with Deadpool and McElhenny.

Quote:
It’s all subjective at the end of the day, if getting Brighton 9th makes you a good manager then fair enough that’s your barometer.
Do you think Arteta is a good manager? He won the FA Cup.

Unread 07-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Bunker Buster

So no manager can Progress up the league's or European teams because he hasn't won domestic cups ?

You can tell potter is a decent manager by the way his team play

Closed Thread