United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:10 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I apologise for daring to make a thread about football.

I shall consult you before making a new thread in future.
1 a day should suffice

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Love
Yeh if only he'd taken us to 4 Premiership titles like Zola did for Chelsea in around the same number of years.

Zola > Cantona
i lost a lot of respect for eric when he went flying into the crowd. definitely makes my top20 but theres been far too many legends who have played at the top level for years and years who have to be ahead of him.

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:11 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
i lost a lot of respect for eric when he went flying into the crowd. definitely makes my top20 but theres been far too many legends who have played at the top level for years and years who have to be ahead of him.

wums need to be subtle to work, tbh

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Smeggs

Cantona
Giggs
Scholes
Keane
Schmeichel
Beckham
Ferdinand
Rooney
Henry
Shearer

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default roughly in date order

Schmeichel
Giggs
Cantona
Shearer
Andy Cole
Keane
Beckham
Henry
Makalele
Ronaldo

tough question:

the 3 highest goal scorers, plus

Cantona who set the whole continental elevation of the game in England rolling

Schmeichel, Beckham and Ronaldo all indisputably the best in the world in their positions

Makalele and Keane for their influence in champion teams (honourable mention to Vieira)

Henry representing London football coming out of the dark ages post Waddle, Hoddle and Gazza (honourable mentions for Zola and Butthead)

one extra place would be filled by slopehead - genuine Roy of the Rovers performer for the vermin who'd have won virtually £#%&! all without him

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
wums need to be subtle to work, tbh
you gonna do a top10 then?

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Grimson

Quote:
i lost a lot of respect for eric when he went flying into the crowd.
You mean when you heard about it a few years later when you started following football.

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:24 PM
marlo

not in order.

ronaldo
bergkamp
henry
keane
scholes
zola
ince
giggs
rio ferdinand
vieira

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You mean when you heard about it a few years later when you started following football.
not really, that was my first season i had taken an active interest. i remember having the black kit with his name on the back actually, was very upset/pissed off with him when he was banned

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Ha ha, such a fact if I ever saw one.

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:28 PM
marlo

Quote:
not really, that was my first season i had taken an active interest. i remember having the black kit with his name on the back actually, was very upset/pissed off with him when he was banned
cantonas failure to do well in europe and his non international career indicate he was rated JUST in manchester and the home countries(united fans)

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:29 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
cantonas failure to do well in europe and his non international career indicate he was rated JUST in manchester and the home countries(united fans)
ok so the foreigner rule and the fact he wasn't getting picked for france had nothing to do with it

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
ok so the foreigner rule and the fact he wasn't getting picked for france had nothing to do with it
how come he wasnt getting picked for france? was it political reasons or were there better players?

serious answers appreciated

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
wumtastic today.

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Grimson

Quote:
International football and the European Cup don't matter in this case. The list is for the top 10 players in the Premiership. Clearly he had an enormous impact on the Premiership. Whether you think that justifies a top 10 spot is up to you, but internationals and the European Cup have nothing to do with it.

Unread 17-02-2009, 05:33 PM
sullers

Quote:

According to who?

I know many supporters of other teams who aknowledge how brilliant he was.

If you don't admire Cantona, you know nothing of football.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
how come he wasnt getting picked for france? was it political reasons or were there better players?

Fell out with the coach.

One Love

Quote:
Or is it cos he kicked a cockney in the crowd?

Failure in Europe was down to the foreigner rule where we had to play half our reserves every game and pure bad luck in the last year. Its only a cup competition anyway, the league is where you should be judged.

Internationals - wasn't picked due to a fallout.

Your talking total bullshit and obviously influenced by the cockney media who £#%&! over Zola and who actually did £#%&! all really.

thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:

fallings out with various french managers and higher powers wasn't it i'm not to sure but i was only about 6 at the time

Tumescent Throb

Quote:
he inspired the influx of the great foreign players once they saw that cantona's creativity and flair could flourish in the English league

Vieira, Gullit and Bergkamp amongst plenty others were heard to say exactly that

his influence can be traced all the way through from when he first arrived at Leeds in 91 to the present day and the joy fans still get from watching the fantasy and genius of the likes of Giggs, Scholes and Ronaldo at United, and some of the other decent players around the country

Cantona is the single most influential player in English football over the last 20 years in many ways
Closed Thread