United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 23-02-2020, 07:14 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yes, worrying stuff. This happens more at home too. We seem far more resilient and organised away.
It’s contagious too. Lindelof’s indecision affected everyone in that back line except Shaw. Fred as well. When that starts to happen it’s almost worth going long for a bit.

Unread 23-02-2020, 07:15 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s contagious too. Lindelof’s indecision affected everyone in that back line except Shaw. Fred as well. When that starts to happen it’s almost worth going long for a bit.
The worst bit was Maguire tackling Matic tbf

Unread 23-02-2020, 07:16 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The worst bit was Maguire tackling Matic tbf
That was terrible, but it started with Linders nqat.

Off the subject, how many more goals would martial score if he knew he was allowed to hit that six yard box? His goal was beautiful, but my god if he just had the intent of a Sterling he’d be 25/30 a year.

Unread 23-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
That was terrible, but it started with Linders nqat.

Off the subject, how many more goals would martial score if he knew he was allowed to hit that six yard box? His goal was beautiful, but my god if he just had the intent of a Sterling he’d be 25/30 a year.
Well, he doesn't and probably never will. I can't believe that Ole is drumming it into him each week.

We've discussed martial in length in recent weeks, the upshot is that he's had a good week in terms of goals, quality of goals... but performance is frustrating. The ends tend to justify the means with him.

Unread 23-02-2020, 07:56 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Well, he doesn't and probably never will. I can't believe that Ole is drumming it into him each week.

We've discussed martial in length in recent weeks, the upshot is that he's had a good week in terms of goals, quality of goals... but performance is frustrating. The ends tend to justify the means with him.
Personally I think he’s been pretty consistent this season. In fact, even under Mourinho, iirc it was him dragging us through some fixtures in the final couple of months. A 1 in 2 ratio in the league is a good return for any forward, especially when you take into consideration how we’ve struggled overall as a team this season.

As we improve, I bet he will too. Hopefully Fernandes will inspire confidence in the players around him; we actually have a midfielder that can create! Players like Martial and Rashford will thrive, I’m sure of it.

Unread 23-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Personally I think he’s been pretty consistent this season. In fact, even under Mourinho, iirc it was him dragging us through some fixtures in the final couple of months. A 1 in 2 ratio in the league is a good return for any forward, especially when you take into consideration how we’ve struggled overall as a team this season.

As we improve, I bet he will too. Hopefully Fernandes will inspire confidence in the players around him; we actually have a midfielder that can create! Players like Martial and Rashford will thrive, I’m sure of it.
Yes, this is sort of what I mean. Watching him is frustrating, but the upshot is that his goals record is good and he scores good goals.

That's enough for him to be valuable to us.

He's much better with Rashford next to him too.

Unread 23-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Still plenty of issues that won't go away overnight, but it's been a good week.

3 clean sheets in a row, properly in the mix for CL places and a few more options in the squad now.

They'll drive us mad disappoint plenty more this season, but there's plenty to be positive about.

Unread 23-02-2020, 09:24 PM
92ToBury

Good improvement from the team throughout the game really. Started off a bit shaky but got their act together and deserved to go in a goal up at half time. Played some very good football second half, looked likely to score more until Ole made the subs. Chong isn't United standard unfortunately. On a plus side, Greenwood is.

The players appeared to grow in confidence as Bruno led by example and they wanted to play for and with him. That's what Pogba should have been like but wasn't; it's what set Zlatan apart from Pogba too. I'm not saying we'll get top four, but there's certainly more chance than if we didn't have him. Three points behind Chelsea, better goal difference and the team believing in themselves more. Lingard not even on the bench was good.

Unread 23-02-2020, 09:26 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
In t'league

Unread 23-02-2020, 09:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
League.

Wolves, Cheslea, Today.

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:10 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Good improvement from the team throughout the game really. Started off a bit shaky but got their act together and deserved to go in a goal up at half time. Played some very good football second half, looked likely to score more until Ole made the subs. Chong isn't United standard unfortunately. On a plus side, Greenwood is.

The players appeared to grow in confidence as Bruno led by example and they wanted to play for and with him. That's what Pogba should have been like but wasn't; it's what set Zlatan apart from Pogba too. I'm not saying we'll get top four, but there's certainly more chance than if we didn't have him. Three points behind Chelsea, better goal difference and the team believing in themselves more. Lingard not even on the bench was good.

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:25 PM
redhegemony

Fair £#%&!s to the red army created a good atmosphere at what could have been a flat game. Proper lunacy for the third goal people falling over seats.

Played some lovely stuff in parts. The two second half goals were superb.

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:37 PM
utd99

Quote:

The quality of goal he scored today should be the exception. A far higher percentage should be tap-ins.

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:43 PM
razzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
The players appeared to grow in confidence as Bruno led by example and they wanted to play for and with him. That's what Pogba should have been like but wasn't; it's what set Zlatan apart from Pogba too
Postage

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:46 PM
History

Fernandes making a huge difference.

Wins the penalty, converts it and assists another goal. 3-0 against a below average side. We've been screaming for someone like him for months ( But his foots a bit sore) Fernandes signing just confirms pogba is a gonna thankfully

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:52 PM
redhegemony

The big thing you notice with Fernandes is the space he finds quite naturally despite the crowded nature of the midfield. He seems to have lots of time to deliver passes - the sign of a high quality player.

He could really bring out the best of Greenwood Martial and Rashford.

Good to se The Scottish Player back.

Unread 23-02-2020, 10:59 PM
andyroo

The space Greenwood made for himself with the break that led to his goal. Really smart little drag back to get him going, lovely to see

Unread 23-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Only saw the 1st half. Any links to goals?

Unread 23-02-2020, 11:27 PM
MagnificentSeven

there is definitely a good team in the making there, nqat. will ole be the man to make it all click? i hope so.

on a side note, is this one of the weakest ever premier league seasons? because despite how erratic and inconsistent our form has been we're somehow 3 points off the top 4.

Unread 23-02-2020, 11:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Only saw the 1st half. Any links to goals?