United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:10 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Can’t see Erik making it a permanent option.

Pleased for the lad and good timing that his confidence us up when we’re probably going to need him most.
That was quick, I thought it would be at least ten minutes before someone finished that. Can you play upfront?

I’ve never really understood some of the hate The Scottish Player gets. As with other players, he’s not at the level needed to be starting every week for us, but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people make out. Can’t remember who it was, but the other week someone said he was so bad he doesn’t even belong in the Premier League ffs

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:28 AM
MUFC One Love

He was a good squad player at best. He's gone backwards though imo.

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:36 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
That was quick, I thought it would be at least ten minutes before someone finished that. Can you play upfront?

I’ve never really understood some of the hate The Scottish Player gets. As with other players, he’s not at the level needed to be starting every week for us, but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people make out. Can’t remember who it was, but the other week someone said he was so bad he doesn’t even belong in the Premier League ffs
Agree with that. Showed some promise, hasn't fulfilled it. Not had much of a chance so far to show any progress under ETH yet, although going off his recent international form he probably deserves a chance now.

If he can become a valuable squad player going forward then surely that's a good thing.

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:40 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
He was a good squad player at best. He's gone backwards though imo.
I don’t know if he’s gone backwards, but not playing regularly is obviously going to affect him somewhat. I think it’s more of a case of someone who looked like a decent squad player, looking a bit worse now because the quality of our starting midfielders has improved dramatically.

Under Ole, there wasn’t really much difference between any of our midfielders. Now, we have 2 genuinely world class starters, so you’re going to see a drop off when a squad player comes in.

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:08 AM
AK14

Quote:

Yup.

As dunk said he’s far better playing further forward than he is as a holding midfielder (because he isn’t one).

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I don’t know if he’s gone backwards, but not playing regularly is obviously going to affect him somewhat. I think it’s more of a case of someone who looked like a decent squad player, looking a bit worse now because the quality of our starting midfielders has improved dramatically.

Under Ole, there wasn’t really much difference between any of our midfielders. Now, we have 2 genuinely world class starters, so you’re going to see a drop off when a squad player comes in.

The problem with The Scottish Player is that he was basically an automatic pick for so long because our midfield was woefully understaffed. Familiartiy bred a bit of contempt. He's not terrible, at all, but he is definitely not good enough to be a regular in a United side that wants to win trophies.

I also can't readily identiy what kind of midfielder he is - DM? Box to Box? AM? His best performances for us always seem to be when he has been able to drive forward. Defensively he's not good enough to be a screen for the defense.

I'd have no problem with him being kept in the squad but I suspect he'll end up at a lower PL team as a first team choice.

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:11 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Agree with that. Showed some promise, hasn't fulfilled it. Not had much of a chance so far to show any progress under ETH yet, although going off his recent international form he probably deserves a chance now.

If he can become a valuable squad player going forward then surely that's a good thing.
He can't play deep, so playing in the role that Bruno fulfils means he's £#%&!ed - Bruno literally plays the most minutes of any player in Europe so either he adapts (not happening) or he finds somewhere else to play for. The fact he could be a £30m+ asset just sat on the bench ready to come on & play shit as a defensive midfielder, or never further forward, means he should just go & we spend that money on a right back or another Eriksen type smart signing.

Unread 29-03-2023, 11:07 AM
marlo

he is one of the worst players in our squad including players loaned out.
a disgusting coward of a player.
he isn't premiership quality. if so maybe a relegation fighting team.

Unread 29-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Sparky***

He seems to be alright around the penalty box. Certainly better than he is at being a midfielder, which he's absolutely rubbish at.

Unread 29-03-2023, 12:18 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
The problem with The Scottish Player is that he was basically an automatic pick for so long because our midfield was woefully understaffed. Familiartiy bred a bit of contempt. He's not terrible, at all, but he is definitely not good enough to be a regular in a United side that wants to win trophies.

I also can't readily identiy what kind of midfielder he is - DM? Box to Box? AM? His best performances for us always seem to be when he has been able to drive forward. Defensively he's not good enough to be a screen for the defense.

I'd have no problem with him being kept in the squad but I suspect he'll end up at a lower PL team as a first team choice.
Sell the useless @#%&! and buy Sabitzer for half the price. No brainer upgrade.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:09 PM
marlo

26 year old midfielder who hides from the ball when out of possession, cant hold his position, cant tackle , isn't intelligent enough think ahead and anticipate what is going to happen and be there when it does like Carrick but yeah he isn't so bad

he is shit . the actual definition of shit. a shit midfielder and we'd love to play against him and/also love if he was coming on against us.

he scored a few goals in the week for Scotland and ironically the ones saying 'we've been to hard on him' are using goal scoring to pat him on the back. the other polarising opinion of the same clowns In addidition to this would lead you to question why 'certain' players are praised for various irrelevant aspects of their game which are not in the essential job description of their deployed position
I know what it is.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:20 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
he is one of the worst players in our squad including players loaned out.
a disgusting coward of a player.
he isn't premiership quality. if so maybe a relegation fighting team.

We need marlo next to Roy Keane on Super Sunday.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

We need marlo next to Roy Keane on Super Sunday.
He’s too busy at church allegedly.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Marlo: “The Scottish Player doesn’t even play for Scotland in midfield”

The Scottish Player scores two for Scotland from midfield

‘Marlo: “Weghorst!”

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Tuco

He is a championship level player. Needs selling this summer.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
He has his limits, but this notion he isn’t even up to league standard is ridiculous.

There’s quite a few levels between Manchester United quality and the Championship.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:54 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Nonsense

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:54 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He has his limits, but this notion he isn’t even up to league standard is ridiculous.

There’s quite a few levels between Manchester United quality and the Championship.

Agreed.

Unread 29-03-2023, 03:20 PM
marlo

Quote:
Marlo: “The Scottish Player doesn’t even play for Scotland in midfield”

The Scottish Player scores two for Scotland from midfield

‘Marlo: “Weghorst!”
so how it’s a string to his now that he plays for Scotland in midfield? That’s wasn’t important when he wasn’t… funny that.

also he is not premiership standard.

let’s pick three run of the mill premiership teams. villa, Brentford, Brighton.
you think that coward starts for them in CDM?

Quote:

not really

The difference is closing down players apparantly.

championship player + run around closing down the opposition = Manchester United striker? No?

Unread 29-03-2023, 03:22 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
so how it’s a string to his now that he plays for Scotland in midfield? That’s wasn’t important when he wasn’t… funny that.

also he is not premiership standard.

let’s pick three run of the mill premiership teams. villa, Brentford, Brighton.
you think that coward starts for them in CDM?
It’s not a string. I’m not defending or condemning him. Just pointing out yet another instance where you’re wrong.

Remember when you said he wouldn’t play 5 games under Rangnick and then started the next five games?

Why does it have to be CDM, btw?

That’s not where he’s most effective. You know he’s linked to Newcastle and not Preston, right?

More than happy to take a bet with anyone that, if he leaves this summer, he doesn’t drop down to the championship.
Closed Thread